The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 30, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

GTFO Vegas is still weak down the middle. Will Karlsson would be our third line centre and Stastny wouldn't even make our team. Those are their top 2 C's :lol:

Karlsson scored 43 goals and was +49 two years ago. He is nobody's third-line centre. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Darius said:

You are using their play in the AHL as a gauge.    By the same logic Reid Boucher should be in our lineup coz he will light the lamp like you have never seen.

If you think that throwing in Brogan Rafferty, with almost 0 experience, against a juggernaut like Vegas will move the needle then theres not much I can say.  I trust the GM/Coaching staff of Utica and Canucks to make that decision more than some fans getting desperate on a message board.

Its not the coaching here folks, Vegas is a big and deep team that made the finals already without  guys like Patches and Stone....they are even better now in my opinion.  Green has done an admirable job with a group of young players and a supporting cast of vets.  Is he perfect, no, but is it his fault that they are in this position right now, not in my opinion...its the difference in rosters...

That's a fair take. But I look explicitly for plays that would happen in the nhl. You have guys like Reid who is great with lots of time, but in the nhl he doesn't get it. When his head is up he's a great player but when he's pressured he doesn't make plays. Guys like Mac are always hounding the net. Always forechecking. He's playing big boy hockey. There's a reason why he was successful in the regular season too. Bailey is great offensively in the AHL but he doesn't play nhl level offense, but he does play nhl level puck retrieval. Brogan Rafferty has the poise. You'll see him make plays under pressure similar to what you'd see in the nhl and he doesn't panic with the puck. That's a rare trait and that's an NHL level trait. I encourage you to go watch some of his highlights and tell me some of what he does doesn't remind you of Quinn Hughes. You could see a million miles away that Quinn was gonna be a stud. You don't have that poise and awareness and not have success offensively. Rafferty has probably 80% of the offensive skill Quinn has. Quinn is smarter, but Rafferty has a better shot (doesn't utilize it as smart as Hughes does though sometimes). You'll see next season when he makes the team unless he gets injured. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Well, to be fair, the knights didnt take long did they.

They didn't have to. The team was express-delivered directly from the league office, ready to go right out of the box for only a half billion dollars.

• Upvote 1

It's the same thing all playoffs. Not moving the puck well enough.

That Sutter play on the GTG reminds me of the first game of the year in Edmonton & the play he made on the GWG.   Not bearing down & making the play. This is a veteran that's here to make those plays.

Our supporting cast, compared to top teams, shows in a game/series like this. 

• Like 1

Just now, Green Building said:

Actually no. Tryamkin is not the saviour you seek. He's big, but he's a 6/7 Dman at best.  

People think they hate Myers. Lol.

Actually he has both size and speed 

he would be a factor when people start running around 

he is in our plans, timing and covid rules did not work for this year. We will have him after this next khl season 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Actually no. Tryamkin is not the saviour you seek. He's big, but he's a 6/7 Dman at best.  

People think they hate Myers. Lol.

Honestly that's a very similar comparison. I think he has a much better stick than Myers though. Pretty similar though. Lacks some of the iq Myers has, but has more effort than he has as well. Lots of pros and cons with both but you can't deny they can both be nasty. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, MikeyD said:

That's a fair take. But I look explicitly for plays that would happen in the nhl. You have guys like Reid who is great with lots of time, but in the nhl he doesn't get it. When his head is up he's a great player but when he's pressured he doesn't make plays. Guys like Mac are always hounding the net. Always forechecking. He's playing big boy hockey. There's a reason why he was successful in the regular season too. Bailey is great offensively in the AHL but he doesn't play nhl level offense, but he does play nhl level puck retrieval. Brogan Rafferty has the poise. You'll see him make plays under pressure similar to what you'd see in the nhl and he doesn't panic with the puck. That's a rare trait and that's an NHL level trait. I encourage you to go watch some of his highlights and tell me some of what he does doesn't remind you of Quinn Hughes. You could see a million miles away that Quinn was gonna be a stud. You don't have that poise and awareness and not have success offensively. Rafferty has probably 80% of the offensive skill Quinn has. Quinn is smarter, but Rafferty has a better shot (doesn't utilize it as smart as Hughes does though sometimes). You'll see next season when he makes the team unless he gets injured. 

Hopefully Rafferty works out for us.  Ill agree with you in the sense that this team is really missing someone other than QH on the D that can generate excellent break out passes and actually contribute offensively.  When guys like Tanev, Eddie and Stech get the puck on the O zone you know more often than not its gonna lead to a dead play, muffin shot, or some kind of blocked shot.  It really hampers that offence that they cant rely on the backend to generate much.   QH has masked a lot of this problem.

I just dont think now is the time to insert a rookie into the lineup when you know the vegas  forwards are among the best at forechecking and relentless pressuring.  Part of their game plan would surely be to force the play into his corner.

It would be nice if OJ and Rafferty crack the lineup next year for sure.   Hopefully they can get another big mean D man too...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Darius said:

Hopefully Rafferty works out for us.  Ill agree with you in the sense that this team is really missing someone other than QH on the D that can generate excellent break out passes and actually contribute offensively.  When guys like Tanev, Eddie and Stech get the puck on the O zone you know more often than not its gonna lead to a dead play, muffin shot, or some kind of blocked shot.  It really hampers that offence that they cant rely on the backend to generate much.   QH has masked a lot of this problem.

I just dont think now is the time to insert a rookie into the lineup when you know the vegas  forwards are among the best at forechecking and relentless pressuring.  Part of their game plan would surely be to force the play into his corner.

It would be nice if OJ and Rafferty crack the lineup next year for sure.   Hopefully they can get another big mean D man too...

Yeah no doubt. I do have a slight fear Green won't give him an opportunity though. I feel like he's gonna put OJ above him on the pecking order. 

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I don't mind how Myers played but he was played far too much for the first game back 

just got us in trouble when he tired 

not sure what happened with Tanev, he had really low minutes by his standard. 

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah, they are good in those departments but they are taking up 1/6th (17%) of our forward spots and not doing anything else. Well Beagle is a great PK'er so there is that but they don't add anything else and more importantly they are close to a zero threat to score a goal.

Good hockey players in their own right but they are not going to push this team to the top and will only hinder us because the rest of our line-up is filled out. That's where we can improve.

30 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Wow, DeBoer’s ‘depth‘ comment is a little offside and premature if you ask me. While it probably is true, you don’t rub salt in wounds... especially when the series is not over. 

Just the fuel our ‘depth’ needs. Hope Pete’s comments come back to bite him in the butt! 

• Like 1

In 69 regular season games this year, the combo of boeser, jake and gaud gave the team a total of 46 goals (0.67 goals per game)

these playoffs they have a total of 4 combined goals (0.285 goals per game). That’s a lot of goals missing from 3 wingers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Honestly that's a very similar comparison. I think he has a much better stick than Myers though. Pretty similar though. Lacks some of the iq Myers has, but has more effort than he has as well. Lots of pros and cons with both but you can't deny they can both be nasty. 

Where do you get this from. Tryamkin hasn't had a nasty day in his life. Some people act like he's Chara-lite when he's 60% oh Hal Gill. 

• Cheers 2