The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is a Tyler Myers a Bust?

Rate this topic

Dano.Canuck

I think he’s a good player but his contract is atrocious. Considering his contract I think he’s a bust. He’s one of the the highest paid players on the team but I don’t see it during games. He’s always out of sight,  in the background and mainly unnoticeable and his contract is horrible for the team. Gets in the way of negotiating better deals for our young players when we have this albatross of a contract strangling us. What say you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 8

19 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

His contract is about a mill or two more a year than it should be but at the time overpayment was necessary to land him. There weren’t many options and our defence needed him. To be honest we probably wouldn’t be in the playoffs without him. If you don’t notice him that’s a good thing too in terms of making too many mistakes and defending well. The guy right now is playing half injured and doing well considering. Myers is not a problem on this team. 

This.  He's clearing the crease and moves well for a big guy.  Only really rough game was his first game back, which is normal for defensemen not named Sami Salo.  Myers was the best available UFA and those guys don't come cheap.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

His contract is about a mill or two more a year than it should be but at the time overpayment was necessary to land him. There weren’t many options and our defence needed him. To be honest we probably wouldn’t be in the playoffs without him. If you don’t notice him that’s a good thing too in terms of making too many mistakes and defending well. The guy right now is playing half injured and doing well considering. Myers is not a problem on this team. 

That mil or two a year could mean the difference between signing a young guy or not. Hey, I don’t dislike the guy but he seems over paid for his contribution. Hughes will need a big contact in the next couple years and Myers will be one of the contracts holding it back. I’m thinking we trade Myers to free up that money. Im just not sure who would take on a 6mil salary for what he brings. 

I don't think it's atrocious...a little overpaid but like it was mentioned above, that what the price to pay.  Compared to Eriksson's 6M$, Myers is pretty decent.

When we signed him, we didn't know Hughes was going to be that good this early.  We needed an experienced body to play big minutes and Myers has done that.  In the grand scheme of thing, Myers should be playing like a #4D, but this year Edler-Myers and Hughes-Tanev have been kind of like 1A-1B type of pairing.  Myers has the highest TOI/GP at even strength and that is not really his ideal spot.

In a perfect world we would get that 1st pairing RHD to play alongside Hughes and Edler and Myers could play a little less in a 2nd pairing role.

7 hours ago, Dano.Canuck said:

That mil or two a year could mean the difference between signing a young guy or not. Hey, I don’t dislike the guy but he seems over paid for his contribution. Hughes will need a big contact in the next couple years and Myers will be one of the contracts holding it back. I’m thinking we trade Myers to free up that money. Im just not sure who would take on a 6mil salary for what he brings. 

So you trade Myers.  Who plays on the right side of D as his replacement?  Chatfield?  Rafferty?  Are they going to play 22 minutes a night and be able to clear the crease and play on the PK?

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So you trade Myers.  Who plays on the right side of D as his replacement?  Chatfield?  Rafferty?  Are they going to play 22 minutes a night and be able to clear the crease and play on the PK?

Speaking of clearing the crease, Myers was a beast in the Wild play-in round. I remember him sending a message to Fiala? in the crease after the play stopped by totally manhandling him with cross checks and keeping him from getting up. Yes he took a penalty, but surely sent the message that they will protect their crease and goalie.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I have never been a fan of the Myers signing. As has been said, we had to pay more than he was worth to land him.

But he does eat up minutes and takes the pressure off Edler and Tanev which I think has helped both. Elder doesn't seem as stretched and Tanev is clearly benefitting.

I just wish Myers was more physical. I never expected him to be a big point getter, but in such important games like now I really wish he laid some guys out. IMO we still need a hitting, physical D-man, with limited roster spots available.