The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Joel Edmundson‘s rights to Canadiens for 2020 5th-round pick

1 minute ago, amplified0ne said:

I think the habs fans are on Bergevin for his bargain bin shopping and the fact its taken forever to find a 1C and not have a team of smurfs up front.

Meh.  A true 1C is really tough to find.  Montreal still may not have it. But they have quality depth at the position.  I don’t think size up front is paramount on most fans minds.  Montreal was 5th In 5 on 5 scoring last season but their PP and PK were both pretty abysmal.  Adding a very solid backup that lets them rest Price way more and improving the D are both great steps.  They really need to find a way to improve the PP.  a full season of Suzuki in the top 6 may help that.  

38 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Say what you want about Bergevin but even his "losses" have turned out pretty well.  Domi>Galchenyuk and Weber>Subban.

?

Those aren't  Bergevin's losses though.

Sergachev, 2nd for Drouin, 6th.  That's #1

Weber was never a loss - only a loss if people bought some of the 'analytics' that blew Subban's relative value extremely out of proportion, and ignored a number of Weber's relative and two-way strengths. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

It's interesting how often guys sign in situations like this when a team has traded for their rights.

I don't know what the numbers are, but it seems like a decent gamble to spend a late pick for (increased) chances of signing a pending UFA like this.

Anyhow - well worth the risk imo for the Habs - would be a great signing if they manage to.

If not the Habs, hopefully he goes to Winnipeg.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Phil_314 said:

Haha Bergevin can be the high-priced middle-man

Canes => Habs for 5th, Habs to Leafs for 1st ;)

Bergevin pulled a couple of deals off like that this season.

Traded a 4th for Scandella. Played him for a month. Traded him for a 2nd and a 4th. 

Signed Kovalchuk. Played him for 6 weeks. Traded him for a 3rd. Traded that 3rd for Allen 

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

?

Those aren't  Bergevin's losses though.

Sergachev, 2nd for Drouin, 6th.  That's #1

Weber was never a loss - only a loss if people bought some of the 'analytics' that blew Subban's relative value extremely out of proportion, and ignored a number of Weber's relative and two-way strengths. 

Honestly I don't think Drouin for Sergachev is truly awful as Sergachev still hasn't figured out the defensive side and has Tampa's offense making him look good.  I do agree people undervalue Weber, as well as most defensemen who play that style.  People were crapping on Edler for the playoffs here while he was leading the league in shot blocks.  People were ripping on both the deals I highlighted at the time as brutal moves.  Overall, he's average to slightly below average as a GM.

I’m friends with Joel’s brother talking to him about his brothers situation and there dad was recently diagnosed with cancer and he’s hopeful the jets give him a contract so he can be close to home well his dads going through this. home is (Brandon) couple hours from wpg.... to what it’s worth for some of you 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, sassbs said:

Lol how did the leafs not do this!?

Dumbass -I mean Dubas wants Pietroangelo - cause you know that would solve all their problems on the back end :rolleyes:

Don't think he has clued in yet you need 6 decent Defense man to compete in this league (Or 4 good ones and 2 serviceable ones)

42 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I’m friends with Joel’s brother talking to him about his brothers situation and there dad was recently diagnosed with cancer and he’s hopeful the jets give him a contract so he can be close to home well his dads going through this. home is (Brandon) couple hours from wpg.... to what it’s worth for some of you 

Can't blame him for putting family first.  Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Jets get both him and Hamonic.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Sooooooo Vancouver’s out of the question then.

• Like 1