The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pierre Lebrun: GM Benning & JP Barry chatted about a Loui Eriksson trade this week

Ilya Mikheyev

26 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Is it sad that I’m surprised he even has 89 points with us? In 4 years it feels like he’s literally just done nothing on offense. If his cap hit was like 1.5 or 2 mil I’d love the guy as a 4th line player and PK guy. But his offensive game in Vancouver has been trash since day 1. I hope Benning can swindle someone into taking him without having to give up a lot. 

My one big fear in trying to trade him is because of his NTC, the team taking him I believe automatically would have to protect him in the expansion draft, and I can’t even see a team like Ottawa wanting to deal with that. He’s a hard player to trade with his NTC and cap hit, but also the expansion draft is another debacle itself. So if we can’t move him by then, we’re really in trouble next offseason. 

Incorrect, LE no longer has a NMC just a limited NTC which = 0 protection from Seattle expansion draft

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Incorrect, LE no longer has a NMC just a limited NTC which = 0 protection from Seattle expansion draft

Yay but not even Seattle is that dumb to take him. We have to package this idiot with a high level prospect or maybe even next years first to get rid of him. It’s annoying how this cancer will not go away...

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Yay but not even Seattle is that dumb to take him. We have to package this idiot with a high level prospect or maybe even next years first to get rid of him. It’s annoying how this cancer will not go away...

Oh I know, that is why I am not some super fan of JB like some here. Every GM makes mistakes, but spending to the cap when rebuilding and signing players to long term deal is just flat out a mistake.

Maybe you can send some cap to OTT but not sure it will be LE, maybe Rooster or Sutter, Stecher etc

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Oh I know, that is why I am not some super fan of JB like some here. Every GM makes mistakes, but spending to the cap when rebuilding and signing players to long term deal is just flat out a mistake.

Maybe you can send some cap to OTT but not sure it will be LE, maybe Rooster or Sutter, Stecher etc

I think it is fair to criticize him on some fronts.  The folks that whine and gnash their teeth anytime someone questions one of his moves is kind of silly.

The Eriksson contract turned out badly, but I can't blame him too much as most folks at the time thought it was a good signing.  The Beagle, Ferland, Roussel signings were pretty widely panned for their term especially even at the time they were signed.  The rationale of needing veterans to guide the kids doesn't hold a lot of water for those particular signings.  We already had a solid veteran leadership core on the team, and there are always solid veterans available in the summer for low dollars and short term.  The league is getting younger and older, experienced guys are getting pushed out while they still have some game left in them.  The bonus to those types of players is that if we were out of the playoffs by the deadline, you can always flip them for a mid round pick to contenders looking for depth.  The proof is really in the pudding, how many teams would take those guys right now even if you offered them for free?  

I hope JB can move some money this offseason but I am not sure how expensive that is going to be.  

37 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Okay, first off.... Loui had posted 30 goals, before signing with Van.

That was fair value for what he had just accomplished. 
Secondly, he had great chemistry with the Sedins internationally and they wanted Eriksson. It was a no brainer choice to go for a guy who posted 30 goals and was a fairly good player in the league and to put him with guys he had success with on international ice. His point total would have been expected to jump significantly.

Lastly, he was signed to play with the Sedins in the twilight of their career. It wasnt exactly a fair shake for Loui, to expect him to come in and resurrect the careers of the Sedins and for everyone to put up 80-90pts. The Sedins retired shortly after and the team was in a rebuild stage.

Loui also suffered 2 big injuries in his first 2 seasons with the Canucks. He missed 17 games in his first season and 32 in his second season. Which at that point the team was a shell of its former self. We had Horvat as the one bright spot on the team, with nothing much to follow.  The team hasnt been competitive in years. Loui is no McDavid and couldnt carry this team from the day he was signed. He was signed to an old, stale, shallow team, with no real prospects in the pipes. But his contract at the time was fair for what he had accomplished, he unfortunately had injuries and the Canucks have been a very weak team over the years. 

Get over it. It wast a bad signing, it was bad timing and bad luck. Its not like it stopped us from winning a cup in the past 4 years. Our window is just opening now and Eriksson will soon be gone, either via trade or retirement. Regardless the team is now in a competitive stage and that 6 mil that comes off in 2 years, will leave a nice juicy spot for the UFA we need

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Okay, first off.... Loui had posted 30 goals, before signing with Van.

That was fair value for what he had just accomplished. 
Secondly, he had great chemistry with the Sedins internationally and they wanted Eriksson. It was a no brainer choice to go for a guy who posted 30 goals and was a fairly good player in the league and to put him with guys he had success with on international ice. His point total would have been expected to jump significantly.

Lastly, he was signed to play with the Sedins in the twilight of their career. It wasnt exactly a fair shake for Loui, to expect him to come in and resurrect the careers of the Sedins and for everyone to put up 80-90pts. The Sedins retired shortly after and the team was in a rebuild stage.

Loui also suffered 2 big injuries in his first 2 seasons with the Canucks. He missed 17 games in his first season and 32 in his second season. Which at that point the team was a shell of its former self. We had Horvat as the one bright spot on the team, with nothing much to follow.  The team hasnt been competitive in years. Loui is no McDavid and couldnt carry this team from the day he was signed. He was signed to an old, stale, shallow team, with no real prospects in the pipes. But his contract at the time was fair for what he had accomplished, he unfortunately had injuries and the Canucks have been a very weak team over the years. 

Get over it. It wast a bad signing, it was bad timing and bad luck. Its not like it stopped us from winning a cup in the past 4 years. Our window is just opening now and Eriksson will soon be gone, either via trade or retirement. Regardless the team is now in a competitive stage and that 6 mil that comes off in 2 years, will leave a nice juicy spot for the UFA we need

Get over it that fans can have their own opinion about what their sports team does and it won't appeal to everyone. It was a bad signing, we didnt need to do a contracty of that length or cap hit, we overpaid just like many GM's do. You really have to draft your top players or trade for them when they are young which means it won't be cheap. Signing players near or over 30 long term is more often than not going to be a bad signing...

Fact is this LE contract right now IS a big issue, if he wasn't here you could take that 6m and spend it wisely to retain some of our players on expiring deals or go after a bigger piece in UFA.

Fact is JB put us in this hole because of the LE deal and the extension he gave Sutter before he played a game...Blues did that to Faulk recently and that has screwed them over from keeping their captain and best D man. Sometimes its best to let players walk as FA, so maybe we should do the same with some of our UFA's??

49 minutes ago, billabong said:

The boys on AM650 were talking about this trade

To Fla: Boeser, Eriksson

To Van: Ekblad, Connolly

Truly based on the cash savings for Florida going forward. 

Ekblad has to cost more than that and that isn't really cap savings as Boeser will just replace his contract in the near future. I don't see why Florida would be interested in Eriksson. I think if Ekblad was on the market there would be a lot of suitors for him.

Just now, peaches5 said:

Ekblad has to cost more than that and that isn't really cap savings as Boeser will just replace his contract in the near future. I don't see why Florida would be interested in Eriksson. I think if Ekblad was on the market there would be a lot of suitors for him.

Ekblad is a nasty SOB to play against. Kind of in the Chelios, Promger style of extra hacks and whacks and slightly dirty shots. 
good to have on your team and hard to play against in a seven game serious, not that Florida ever tests that. 

54 minutes ago, billabong said:

You take that deal and run. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Ekblad is a nasty SOB to play against. Kind of in the Chelios, Promger style of extra hacks and whacks and slightly dirty shots. 
good to have on your team and hard to play against in a seven game serious, not that Florida ever tests that. 

That is my point though. Ekblad is not a bad dman he is young and in a few more years who knows how good he could be.. If Boeser was all Ekblad cost then Vancouver should be all over it. I would even do Boeser + for Ekblad.

I mean honestly I don't see how Florida would get less than Boeser + Juolevi + 1st for Ekblad. That is around the cost that Ekblad should be.. If you can get him for Boeser only that deal should be done immediately and if Eriksson is thrown in there? omg that is robbery. Are we sure this wasn't another darkindian proposal?

Edited by peaches5
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I mean honestly I don't see how Florida would get less than Boeser + Juolevi + 1st for Ekblad. That is around the cost that Ekblad should be.. If you can get him for Boeser only that deal should be done immediately and if Eriksson is thrown in there? omg that is robbery. Are we sure this wasn't another darkindian proposal?

Pfft.

There are TO reporters suggesting that they can get Ekblad for Nylander straight up.

Lol.

1 hour ago, billabong said:

Would cost us more for sure. Ekblad would be a beast of an addition to our team, no way they take LE back tho.

Connolly is an interesting name tho, 28 years old, 3years left at 3.5m. If we can't sign Toff and want some insurance we could sign Leivo for cheap and maybe trade for Connolly

1 hour ago, billabong said:

I think there will be some trades, that don't necessarily make sense to us, but on a financial aspect they make sense for teams like Florida, Ottawa, Arizona etc Teams who are going to have internal budgets, because of these rough economic times. Where as a team like us is a cap team & can potentially take advantage of that. 

Not saying this trade will happen, because it would be a huge win for us. Although Ekblad does get beat to the outside quite a bit & he had a horrendous playoffs. 

Edited by KKnight