The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Red Wings interested in Jacob Markstrom

51 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Markstrom is currently a better goalie, but is at his peak and likely to start a decline soon.  I wouldn't be comfortable with much over 4 years.  The salary difference between Demko and Marky is enough to add a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman. while Demko won't fetch full value in a trade due to the upcoming expansion draft.

Add a top player for one year before Demko is an RFA with a ton of leverage on a deal. After next year Demko is probably on a bridge deal and only 2 mill less than what Marky signs for.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Add a top player for one year before Demko is an RFA with a ton of leverage on a deal. After next year Demko is probably on a bridge deal and only 2 mill less than what Marky signs for.

That 2 million makes a difference when we need to sign EP and Hughes.  If Demko gets a big payout, it will be because he played well. 

7 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

By the time Demko would need to be paid we start to be free from Sutter, Baertschi and closer to Eriksson.  That allows us to extend the our stars.  It makes sense to stay competitive for many years.

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Marky stays, Demko goes.

Were you not previously indicating you felt Marky would be left to walk?

There are so many variables and considerations. If we can't trade Marky's rights, we get nothing if he walks. At least with Demko we get a return, and that return *should* be reasonable given his playoff heroics. But then we lose out on a cost controlled (for 1 contract) goalie who has lots of time to turn into a potential franchise player. Who knows how much longer Marky will be able to keep up his play on the wrong side of 30.

It's a difficult call, and I won't thrash Benning either way he decides.

JB is gonna pay Marky, he won't risk going with Demko...He cares about his job and the success of the team short term not 5-10 years down the road. I hope we go with Demko and get a decent backup for 2 years that we can expose to Seattle but I find it hard to believe JB won't sacrifice more $ to keep the injured, over 30, just now hitting his stride Markstrom. 

This is a big point in the franchise, if JB can't move salary out we can run with Marky and Demko next year but we will downgrade the rest of the team and then likely lose Demko to Seattle or trade him this off season for a draft pick

At this point i'm comfortable with trading Demko to help get Loui off the books and restock at Center for the prospect pool. 

Demko + Loui to Detroit for 3rd round and Elmer Soderblom.

Marky is a low mileage 30 yr old and we know what we got. Yes Demko played lights out for 3 games, but Marky has done it for 3 seasons. Then sign a decent veteran backup goalie. 

28 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Were you not previously indicating you felt Marky would be left to walk?

There are so many variables and considerations. If we can't trade Marky's rights, we get nothing if he walks. At least with Demko we get a return, and that return *should* be reasonable given his playoff heroics. But then we lose out on a cost controlled (for 1 contract) goalie who has lots of time to turn into a potential franchise player. Who knows how much longer Marky will be able to keep up his play on the wrong side of 30.

It's a difficult call, and I won't thrash Benning either way he decides.

I am off the opinion he's going to walk. There's little incentive for him to stay if we're protecting Demko (which the team has indicated we are).

That post was indicating that if the opposite happens and we're sign Marky, it's pretty clear we'd be moving Demko.

And yes, rock and hard place. Neither option is 'right' or 'wrong'. They're simply different paths.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

You've got to think Detroit wouldn't pay more than 6-7M and surely we can sign him for 5-6M.

Playing in this team he's bonded with compared to a bottom feeder for 1M is really worth it.

It's not about the money. Or it's at least not remotely a primary concern.

Looking at the UFA goaltenders.....

Lundqvist

Holtby

Crawford

Howard

Lehner

Anderson

Markstrom

Greiss

Talbot

Khudobin

Condon

Elliot

Smith

Dell

Kinkaid

The only guys there under 30 (and comparable) is Lehner....

The only others with comparable numbers are Crawford, Talbot, Greiss.

There aren't that many - what I'd consider viable options - and there will be other teams in the marketplace, so signing a good alternative to Markstrom might not be as easy as anticipated....

I think, like the case of Tanev, the team probably needs to make this happen, short of a NMC...they might have to give a bit on cap to keep the term reasonable....

20 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

As a backup goalie it won't matter what our travel schedule may or may not look like. Lundqvist won't be asked to play a buncha games. Especially with Demko looking somewhat Starter ready.

it's not just a matter of backing up though.... you need to be able to rely on riding him in case Demko gets injured.  At 38 yrs old i just don't see that in Henrik anymore.

3 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

At this point if Marky is the hold up, we meed to let him walk if nothing changes by the weekend. 

Can't have him hold up all other transactions.

Agreed, this sort of thing doesn't take weeks...you submit your best offer, if player wants a NMC or more $ or term then you have to walk away if you aren't willing to give him that then its best to trade his rights if you can and move on. No reason to tie everything up waiting on 1 player...

We should be trying to move salary at the same time, Sutter 1m retained should fetch a mid round pick, same with Sven trading him should be quite easy especially with retention...even if its for futures like Pit dumping Bjugstad. Put Pearson's name out there to see what kind of offer you get also, I think we are walking away from Stecher for sure, they have ELC players that can fill his role or a cheaper 1 year deal to a veteran UFA as an option.

Also, with Markstrom's recent injuries I would have some hesitation in giving him term anyways. In today's NHL most teams don't ride their G to the point of exhaustion which leads to injury. The Canucks have a POOR D group and without more speed and 2 way skill in the bottom 6 the team is going to continue to give up far too MANY shots against. Because next years schedule is going to be condensed I am all for having 2 G split the season fairly even, that said Demko and a capable backup 1b like Cam Talbot seem like a far better way to go then tying up big $/term/NTC/NMC in Markstrom.

With all the UFA and other G on the trade market I don't think a team is going to pay a premium for Demko like Schneider. Maybe you can get a later 1st round pick from a team with multiple 1st rounders but I don't think that is worth doing.

If LE is offered up with 30-50% retention I can't see why a bottom feed team with cap room wouldn't look at acquiring him for a late round pick to be brought in as a veteran to be around all the young players.

Resign Marky without expansion protection, protect Demko and give Seattle a 3rd rounder for not selecting Marky? If by then Demko is the no 1 let Seattle pick Marky if they want. Of course if Marky's not signing without NMC then not much choice but to trade his rights or Demko. If Demko continues his development the price for Seattle not selecting him might be too high.

3 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

At this point if Marky is the hold up, we meed to let him walk if nothing changes by the weekend. 

Can't have him hold up all other transactions.

Yep, I have been saying this for a while.  Present your best offer, give him a couple of days to decide... then sign for that or move on.

A lot of negotiations with pending UFAs have broken down as we get news that they “are testing free agency”.  We need to make that determination on Markstrom now.  I think some agents are holding on to see if they can get their clients a “pre-Covid” value deal before the market crashes.  There are going to be a TON of solid players settling for cheap 1 year deals in the end.  There just isn’t money to go around.

There are several moves we need to make in addition to moving out money, and the draft is less than a week away.

If we ARE signing Markstrom, we should be moving Demko with a cap dump or for a high pick that we can then package and flip to dump salary.  Same with Virtanen if he has any value.

Also, it would really be useful for us to trade Markstrom’s rights to an interested team outside our division. Give someone else a leg up on signing him as defence to avoid having him land in Calgary. 

Edited by Provost

20 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I could honestly see the same happening and may have already been offered. Probably trying to get Markstrom to agree to a 4 year deal but he probably wants 6. The trade might not come to fruition though because of the term both sides want.

It’s simple. It’s either marky or Demko. Banning wants Marky and Demko is done as a Canuck. We might get a first back for Demko.