The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks have not offered C.Tanev a contract extension

EP40.

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What the hell happened to Rick...?:picard:

He's trying WAAAY too hard to take on Cherry's schtick...just is so obvious and BADDDDD.  Can't stand him, as soon as I hear him radio goes off.

The rumblings about Rutherford/the Penguins are interesting...

The Pittsburgh Penguins may try to add a second Tanev brother to the fold this offseason.

Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford is expected to pursue Vancouver Canucks defenseman Christopher Tanev by attempting to shed enough cap space to sign him, league and team sources told The Athletic's Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe. Pittsburgh has reportedly made adding a right-shooting blue-liner a priority.

Rutherford isn't opposed to offering the rearguard a five-year contract that would last as long as the pact he agreed to with Tanev's younger brother, Brandon, a team source told Rossi and Yohe.

The elder Tanev, who will turn 31 in December, is a pending unrestricted free agent. The 2019-20 campaign was the final season of the five-year, $22.25-million deal he inked with the Canucks in 2015. That agreement carried a $4.45-million cap hit, and the defenseman is reportedly seeking a raise. However, the Penguins would prefer not to sign off on a deal with a cap hit over $5 million.

Tanev said in June that he'd love to play his whole career with Vancouver. He's spent all 10 of his NHL campaigns with the Canucks, who signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2010.

The Penguins reeled in Brandon Tanev with a six-year, $21-million contract in July 2019. The 28-year-old forward posted 11 goals and 25 points in his first campaign with the club.

-I have no doubt in my mind that we will re sign Toffoli.  

-I am really starting to thing we sign a quality backup at 2-3 million and run with Demko as our starter.

-I think JB wants to rebuild our D for next year, which likely leaves Tanev on the outside.  

-I believe that Sutter will get dealt for little return, and Baertschi at a cost, and Ferland goes LTIR

I think most would agree that we need a shakeup on D, but that will entail moving on from some guys fans like.

I think we are looking at:

Toffoli-EP-Miller 11.2

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser  15.1

Rousel-Gaudette-Leivo 7

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan 6.5

Edler-Myers  12

Hughes XXX  1

XXX-XXX

Rathbone/Rafferty/Joulevi/Tryamkin 1

Demko 1

XXX

54.8 + 1.7 bonuses, 1 Spooner, 3 Luongo,  6 LE= 66.5

Sign DIllon and Zadarov at 8 total

Sign Talbot for 3

Trade Stecher and Virtanen for Montour sign for 4

That puts us right at the cap with a legit top 6, questionable bottom 6, big tough D and solid goaltending.

45 minutes ago, EP40. said:

It’s actually pretty common knowledge and practice that certain teams-players have arrangements made for when FA opens up nowadays.

If memory serves correct, pretty certain that was the case with the Canucks-Myers too. Had a contract agreed to beforehand and was signed once FA begun.

Yes, because there is a window before FA opens to do that.  We aren't in that window yet.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Wasn't Dhaliwal the one that said Edler was going to UFA and then he was going to be offered a massive contract with term, but then in the end, Edler signed a very reasonable contract after all that supposed "drama"?

Looks like history will repeat itself.

Pretty sure he was one of our media derps on the 'Benning is going to screw up and give Myers $7x7 with ED protection' train as well.

He used to be one of the best, most reputable media in this market. He's turned in to a side show act the last couple years.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Yes, because there is a window before FA opens to do that.  We aren't in that window yet.

The free agency interview period was eliminated under the new CBA -- it's back to old school now. Now you won't know the details prior to the actual free agency day making it more of a mystery.

• Thanks 1

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The free agency interview period was eliminated under the new CBA -- it's back to old school now. Now you won't know the details prior to the actual free agency day making it more of a mystery.

I didn't know that.  Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, EP40. said:

It’s actually pretty common knowledge and practice that certain teams-players have arrangements made for when FA opens up nowadays.

If memory serves correct, pretty certain that was the case with the Canucks-Myers too. Had a contract agreed to beforehand and was signed once FA begun.

the past several years have had a 1-2 week courting period before FA date.  You were allowed to negotiate and inquire during that time.  That's when the Myers news really picked up last year. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Last year there was a free agency interview period like in the past few years.  Myers came to Vancouver and dined with Benning and Aquilini.  So did Eriksson at the time.

There's no free agency interview period this year.  Free agency opens up on the 9th of October and there normally shouldn't be discussions prior to that date.

Well as per the CBA, they weren’t allowed to negotiate actual contracts or numbers during the interview period.

That is aside from the point being made anyways.  It was WELL before the interview period that it was public about The Canucks wanting to sign Myers.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well as per the CBA, they weren’t allowed to negotiate actual contracts or numbers during the interview period.

That is aside from the point being made anyways.  It was WELL before the interview period that it was public about The Canucks wanting to sign Myers.

Yep and that’s why I’m pretty sure they removed the interview period because teams started to leverage with both sides talking parameters and agreeing to terms ahead of free agency day. This was not the intention of how it should be used when the league first introduced it in 2013. Loui Lamoriello was also vocal about it in 2018 after the Islanders lost the Tavares sweepstakes.