The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Matt Benning, RHD and nephew to Jim, will not be qualified

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Bogosian ahead of Schenn but Schenn would be a good pairing for Joulevi.  We don’t need Stecher or Benning.

Don't forget Borowiecki.  Another big RD who is consistently in the top 5-10 for hits by a D-man, but has the advantage of also being a dominant fighter/nuclear deterrent (I'm looking at you Ryan Reaves)!:angry:

• Cheers 2

Good player - getting edged out by Bear, Larsson and Bouchard...

Consistently good goal metrics, grit, (relative)'possession' numbers and decent to good production....playing with a better left side and more solid defensive team in general, his numbers might get even better.

He'll be a good signing imo.  I'd consider him for sure, regardless of his family connection to Benning (which means nothing to me).

• Like 1

I don't expect either of these two to be FA's for long. Both are quite solid players.

Wouldnt mind Athanasiou to be honest on a 1 year show me deal. Turned 26 years old. Just the season before last he posted 30 goals. Playing on a bottom feeding team and Oilers having too many contracts to clear may have been why he was let go. 

It is of my knowledge Athanasiou was used on the penalty kill in Detroit and despite his plus-minus of -45 last season playing in one of the worst teams in the last decade, he's not too bad defensively. I mean Oilers gave up 2 2nd rounders to get him, he's definitely got value and probably one of those players that might actually benefit playing on a structured team like us. 

Athanasiou would actually bring quite A LOT of speed and also skill to our bottom 6. And he's flexible in the sense that he can be used on both center or wing. 

Edited by Odd.

I keep hearing people talk about us getting bigger and more physical on our backend with no mentions of Gudas who is an absolute beast as a 5-6 RHD. Yes, he is only 6'0, but he hits like a truck, stands up for his teammates and has averaged around 20 points a season. If we could get him for $2.5x1-2 I would do it as he is 30 and still has gas left in the tank. I bet Huggie and Petey would feel a bit more swagger with him on the ice ala Pavel>Gino.  

image.png.a7ec4753dce3c91222c92bf9ef40774b.png

Edited by Odjick29willkillyou
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Prefer Duclair as well; reminds me a lot of Grabner.

I think the comparison isn't great. Sure, Duclair is a noted 20 goal scorer, but he doesn't have spectacular stats as a defensive player, and I don't believe he kills penalties. One stat I did note, and I already mentioned this in the other thread, he had 46 giveaways and 18 takeaways this past season. He's not what the Canucks need.

Grabner actually would be a safer player to get especially when cheap. Middle 6 winger, and can play up and down the lineup. Kills penalties. Fast.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Hmmmm.... doesn't Athanasiou offer a little more than Baertschi at this point of their careers?? a change of scenary might help!! 

Certainly has blazing speed.  With Jake and Bailey as wingers, would be a hard-to-contain line.  (Currently dating Nelly Korda, so obviously a good character guy!!)