The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

Just now, b3. said:

They paid a bit more for him to go to Seattle in two years, if they did a three year term it would have been cheaper.

Another optic we should view the value of this deal through. 

JB is staging things for that timeline. 
It’s interesting today, but it will be prime time TV when he hits that wall he’s been building towards where he’ll be able to move in any direction he chooses. 

JB is proving he’s a boss and can make the hard decisions.   Have been hoping for a deal like this all along,  JM thanks for the memories and hope you can keep not allowing one of the first three shots faced from going in - that was the biggest difference in his play the past 18 months of playing.   Going to be tough facing him if he ends up in EDM or CAL, one of the better goalies we’ve ever had - will miss him but welcome to the team Holtby!!!’

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Could Seattle pick him from us?

Maybe.   But depends who else is there ... a lot still left to happen ... say we sing Tanev and one more blue chip D... then we can’t protect them all.  

Edited by IBatch

Just now, IBatch said:

JB is proving he’s a boss and can make the hard decisions.   Have been hoping for a deal like this all along,  JM thanks for the memories and hope you can keep not allowing one of the first three shots faced from going in - that was the biggest difference in his play the past 18 months of playing.   Going to be tough facing him if he ends up in EDM or CAL, one of the better goalies we’ve ever had - will miss him but welcome to the team Holtby!!!’

New chapter in the Canucks’ story. 
Everyone loves those! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

Holtby is not the same guy he was in his prime, but he was by far the most skilled goaltender available. You always go with the highest skill, especially for a 1B mentor.

Prime Holtby was even better than Markstrom imo

For sure he was better, won a cup and a Vezina! If he happens to play poorly for us good thing is its only a 2yr term...not 3yr like Talbot and Khudobin

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm a bit nervous about his horrible numbers the last 3 years but you JB wanted someone with experience and a cup to mentor the defence and Demko. Looking for a 41-41 split next season but I'm sure Demko will end up just stealing the starting job.

didn't he have a .918 save% last year?

• Upvote 2

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

New chapter in the Canucks’ story. 
Everyone loves those! 

You bet 189lbs.   Markstrom is the final chapter in the biggest tree trade in the history of the NHL.   Linden’s last gasp is gone.  Would have been fun to keep it going - but JB just made a boss move and have to tip my hat to him.   Holtby won’t make it easy for Demko.    And that’s great. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm a bit nervous about his horrible numbers the last 3 years but you JB wanted someone with experience and a cup to mentor the defence and Demko. Looking for a 41-41 split next season but I'm sure Demko will end up just stealing the starting job.

Well, yeah lol. 
I think that’s the typical succession plan. 

Just now, stawns said:

this is a 1A 1B situation and Demko is likely 1A

Both goalies will probably play 35+ games.

Keep them fresh and good.

Holtby also seems to have put up better numbers in the playoffs compared to the regular season the last 3 years. Kind of gives me the implication that Clarke can work on him, especially with the reduced role.

• Cheers 1