The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Greiss from the Islanders would have been the better option: cheaper, better performance (stats) last season.

Maybe Benning believes Clark can fix Holtby*s game.

Good luck, anyway.

The Islanders have a top 10 in league defense and play a stifling system. You can't seperate that from their goalie stats.

I like Greiss, he's a solid 1b (and yes he'd have been accordingly cheaper) but Holtby is a legit starter.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The Islanders have a top 10 in league defense and play a stifling system. You can't seperate that from their goalie stats.

I like Greiss, he's a solid 1b (and yes he'd have been accordingly cheaper) but Holtby is a legit starter.

This. You could put me in goal behind that system and I’d at least be average.  

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

From Patrick Johnston.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Holtby play almost every game for them in their run?

He also had a .922 SV% and a 2.16 GAA...

How wasn’t he the clear number 1 choice?

Trotz actually started Grubauer in the playoffs but he was pulled mid-way through game 2 of the 1st round vs CBJ.  It was then Holtby the rest of the way. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

In retrospect how was Washington defensively last year?

Holtby performed pretty much on par with expectation according to Sportoliq's tracking software - looks like they were not as strong as under Trotz.  Mitch Korn also followed Trotz to NYI which could have impacted him. 

Edited by mll
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta get Clark locked in as soon as possible.

I guarantee the Flames will come and try and poach him if they can.

One saving grace may be that I'm sure he had a large say in targeting Holtby (and keeping Demko). He likely wants to stick around and coach both.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Good signing good value and smart way of paying out to make him less desirable to Seattle.

Now let’s hope bettman doesn’t change the rules to prevent that type of deal and penalize us. Kinda like they did with Louie. 

Or more desirable, if he does well here. It's not like they won't have a good look at him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

Or more desirable, if he does well here. It's not like they won't have a good look at him.

The contract is back loaded to make him owed a lot of money at expansion. Does well or not, that will make him a less desirable pick.

$2.9m this year, $5.7m next.

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta get Clark locked in as soon as possible.

I guarantee the Flames will come and try and poach him if they can.

One thing to note about Ian Clark is he is born and raised in Vancouver. He only left the Canucks organization the first time because he went to Europe for a year. When he returned, we already had Rolie Melanson so he went to Columbus. Once his contract is up and Melanson leaves the Canucks, he came back again. So fingers crossed that he will stay here for a while.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

The contract is back loaded to make him owed a lot of money at expansion. Does well or not, that will make him a less desirable pick.

$2.9m this year, $5.7m next.

Yeah, but they're still gonna need a goalie. Make no mistake, if he puts up good numbers again, he'll have a damn good chance of being picked.

8 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Yeah, but they're still gonna need a goalie. Make no mistake, if he puts up good numbers again, he'll have a damn good chance of being picked.

Oh for sure. Hopefully the high dollars and only one year of term help dissuade them, but it's no guarantee at all. 

3 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

It didn't sway Vegas when they picked up Fleury. They may be having some troubles now, but they went to the cup with him, so hey? Why not?

Fluery had two years of term left after expansion IIRC.

I think if Holtby has a good enough season for Seattle to pick him with only one year left that's a win for us. Demko is our no 1 anyway and we gave up nothing except some cap room for Holtby.

People saying Holtby will be as good as Marky with some help from Clarke though, well, he could be, but more likely he will be an elite backup at this stage (hopefully good enough to play 30-40% of the games), which in that case is fine. Worst case he's a regular backup that will be a great mentor for Demko and that's fine too.