The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

We'll likely be exposing some enticing younger players that'll pique their interest. Holtby will be like pushing 32 at the expansion draft with one year on his contract. Why risk it? Especially since I think other teams will be exposing better younger goalies too.

Really cause so far Holtby is probably our most enticing player available to Seattle.

Forwards protected:

Petey, Horvat, Boeser, Miller, Gaud/Zack?,Virt/Lind?,Motte?

Defense protected:

Hughes, Myers, OJ?

Goalie protected:

Demko

Everyone else eligible at this moment other than Holtby are either scrubs or contract we really want Seattle to take.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Really cause so far Holtby is probably our most enticing player available to Seattle.

Forwards protected:

Defense protected:

Hughes, Myers, OJ?

Goalie protected:

Demko

Everyone else eligible at this moment other than Holtby are either scrubs or contract we really want Seattle to take.

Hughes doesn't require protection.

This signing seems to be a bit of a gamble since Holtby's play has been trending downwards the last couple of seasons.  However, if Ian Clark is able to do his magic act and revitalizes the former's career closer to those of his Vezina days, it would be a big win for the Nucks.  Boom or bust?  Only time will tell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

This signing seems to be a bit of a gamble since Holtby's play has been trending downwards the last couple of seasons.  However, if Ian Clark is able to do his magic act and revitalizes the former's career closer to those of his Vezina days, it would be a big win for the Nucks.  Boom or bust?  Only time will tell.

Short term at a reasonable cap hit, and seems to be more than willing to help out Demko.  Low risk, high reward.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Forwards protected:

Defense protected:

Hughes, Myers, OJ?

Goalie protected:

Demko

And you can take Hughes off the list and as of right now add Rafferty ha ha.   I doubt they take Holtby despite of how things look - because he won’t have much of any trade value to them, and better goalies with more term will be available.     JB is making sure we will be worried about losing “Gaunce or Sbisa” again.     I’m sure we will sign a Tanev replacement or at least re-sign Stecher...

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Short term at a reasonable cap hit, and seems to be more than willing to help out Demko.  Low risk, high reward.

Honestly, his stats have been trending down for more than 2 years. I hope Ian gets Holtby back to at least a good backup. The rest, I figure, is as a mentor to Demko. Benning believes in him, and wanted to get the right character to help him develop into a #1.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Honestly, his stats have been trending down for more than 2 years. I hope Ian gets Holtby back to at least a good backup. The rest, I figure, is as a mentor to Demko. Benning believes in him, and wanted to get the right character to help him develop into a #1.

Yup; think he can play the Ryan Miller role very effectively.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yup; think he can play the Ryan Miller role very effectively.

Holtby is too talented to be done at 30. The whole team looked bad last year in WSH.

Our goalie situation is the least of my concerns going into next season. We need some more size in the F group and Jim had better be working on a decent RHD. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

Holtby is too talented to be done at 30. The whole team looked bad last year in WSH.

Our goalie situation is the least of my concerns going into next season. We need some more size in the F group and Jim had better be working on a decent RHD. 

He’s very athletic and has a good glove hand. When he has his technique locked down, Holtby can be a very high end netminder. And luckily, we have one of the best in the biz in Ian Clark to help him.

Also, Holtby is such a high character guy, and just an interesting personality, especially for a hockey player. That doesn’t do much for stopping pucks, but he’s a very likeable guy, and should fit in well in the room, and be a very good quote for the media, which is always welcome, from a fan perspective (although I’m sure a certain segment here won’t love his very progressive takes on most social and political issues).

• Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s very athletic and has a good glove hand. When he has his technique locked down, Holtby can be a very high end netminder. And luckily, we have one of the best in the biz in Ian Clark to help him.

Also, Holtby is such a high character guy, and just an interesting personality, especially for a hockey player. That doesn’t do much for stopping pucks, but he’s a very likeable guy, and should fit in well in the room, and be a very good quote for the media, which is always welcome, from a fan perspective (although I’m sure a certain segment here won’t love his very progressive takes on most social and political issues).

plus he's from SK, which is where all the best people come from :ph34r:

I'm pretty excited about the Demko-Holtby pairing, it just makes so much sense on cap, term, expansion, competitiveness, and mentoring. Great move by Jim imo. 

Edited by Robert Long

28 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m sure a certain segment here won’t love his very progressive takes on most social and political issues).

Why?  Because he would not visit Trump at the Whitehouse with the team...

Trump is not popular in Vancouver