The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

If Marky stays healthy I suspect Calgary has a higher sv% next season. Are they guaranteed to have more wins? 

I think he keeps them in the playoffs, but they just don’t have enough will to win. 
MT is their engine. Jonny Boi and his bff are not driving the play. They can’t rely on MT do do anymore than he has been. 

This team will improve in certain metrics, but they are still going to suck when it matters, IMO. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

I think he keeps them in the playoffs, but they just don’t have enough will to win. 
MT is their engine. Jonny Boi and his bff are not driving the play. They can’t rely on MT do do anymore than he has been. 

This team will improve in certain metrics, but they are still going to suck when it matters, IMO. 

yeah he really is, no question there. 

• Cheers 1

Holtby was one of the NHL’s best goalies at one time, but has struggled the past two years for the Washington Capitals and wasn’t even the clear No. 1 choice for Washington en route to winning the Stanley Cup in 2018.

From Patrick Johnston.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Holtby play almost every game for them in their run?

He also had a .922 SV% and a 2.16 GAA...

How wasn’t he the clear number 1 choice?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

From Patrick Johnston.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Holtby play almost every game for them in their run?

I think he means before the playoff started it wasn't clear who would take the lead, which is true. Grubauer had much better stats that regular season.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Which is all that matters. :lol:

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I think he means before the playoff started it wasn't clear who would take the lead, which is true. Grubauer had much better stats that regular season.

That may be so, but when the important games came along Grubs whimpered off after 2 games and Holtby dominates with 23 games and wins the cup.  Grubs has yet to claim a starter role so far and appears that the Avs are going with the tandem situation. He does have decent #s for sure, but he hasn't seen anywhere near the rubber that Holtby has and not nearly the high stress games either. 

I think Nucks will go the tandem situation as well and Demko's development will grow substantially with partner of Holtby's stature and experience.  Love the term as well.

• Cheers 1

Splitting the starts between Demko and Holtby pretty evenly for a while makes sense for a number of reasons. Team D needs to be better next season and there is some risk to this approach but also lots of upside and a risk worth taking IMO.

I see it as a pretty offensive move where we trust Demko and Ian Clarke and don't feel we have to spend lots of cap on goaltending to continue improving. I like it.

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

From Patrick Johnston.

Greiss from the Islanders would have been the better option: cheaper, better performance (stats) last season.

Maybe Benning believes Clark can fix Holtby*s game.

Good luck, anyway.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

From Patrick Johnston.

Grubauer had better numbers than him that season.  In 35 games he was 2.35 gaa / .923 sv%  vs 2.99 gaa / .907 for Holtby.   

47 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Greiss from the Islanders would have been the better option: cheaper, better performance (stats) last season.

Good luck, anyway.

Dumb comparison.

Everyone knows he had a horrible last season, that’s what’s bringing that ranking way down.

In his previous two seasons he averaged about a .909 SV% which isn’t great but I bet it’s about league average.

And in his previous 7 seasons he averaged around a .920 SV%. 

But yea let’s skew the stats to make him look like the worst goalie in the league. :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Good luck, anyway.

The Islanders are a very strong defensive team.  The Canucks are considered bottom-5 defensively.   Save percentage does not tell the full story - the environment they play in also matters.  The easy example is Bobrovsky going from Columbus' solid defensive system to the Panthers' defensive chaos.  Greiss would not necessarily fare well in Vancouver.  

This was in Friedman's 31 thoughts several months back - that would not apply in Vancouver:

One coach told me his team’s internal metrics indicate that no one spends more time in their own zone than the red-hot New York Islanders. He wondered how that was possible, so he took a look. Answer: “They let you go where they want you to go — on the outside.” You get time, but you don’t get quality.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, DeNiro said:

From Patrick Johnston.

That he was. In his Canucks interview he stated that the break from Covid actually helped his game. He said he got away from things a bit during the regular season. The extra time with coaching staff helped him get his game back in shape. He was solid in the playoffs. Looked like his old cup winning self ^_^

1 minute ago, mll said:

The Islanders are a very strong defensive team.  The Canucks are considered bottom-5 defensively.   Save percentage does not tell the full story - the environment they play in also matters.  The easy example is Bobrovsky going from Columbus' solid defensive system to the Panthers' defensive chaos.  Greiss would not necessarily fare well in Vancouver.  

This was in Friedman's 31 thoughts several months back - that would not apply in Vancouver:

One coach told me his team’s internal metrics indicate that no one spends more time in their own zone than the red-hot New York Islanders. He wondered how that was possible, so he took a look. Answer: “They let you go where they want you to go — on the outside.” You get time, but you don’t get quality.

In retrospect how was Washington defensively last year?