The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

1 minute ago, nux4lyfe said:

I really miss the likes of players Like Burr, KB3 etc who would take discounts to bring this city something special for us...All about money now.

I still think there could be a bit of that out there... I think a big issue is that JB wasn’t willing to give out a lot of term and security, at least regarding Marky and Tanev.  

It’s a hard pivot from his previous offseasons but I can’t blame him for trying to set the table for the Petey/Hughes extensions. 

22 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I still think there could be a bit of that out there... I think a big issue is that JB wasn’t willing to give out a lot of term and security, at least regarding Marky and Tanev.  

It’s a hard pivot from his previous offseasons but I can’t blame him for trying to set the table for the Petey/Hughes extensions. 

Not like he hasn't handed that to players who haven't paid their dues for the Canucks.;)

But I can understand why Benning took this position *now*.  He's got to plan for the cap going forward.  Too many long-term contracts isn't a good thing right now.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

Good signing by JB. Completely happy with this one. Also think Holtby will have a better year under Clark. That was one of the reasons he signed here, which is a sign he's not satisfied and wants to get better. That's the mindset you want.

Sure going to miss Marky's level of compete and intensity. Loved that guy. 

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not like he hasn't handed that to players who haven't paid their dues for the Canucks.;)

But I can understand why Benning took this position *now*.  He's got to plan for the cap going forward.  Too many long-term contracts isn't a good thing right now.

For sure... like I said it’s a hard pivot this offseason but JB’s always seemed to me to be a pretty straightforward guy.  Team was bad?  Throw everything at the wall to get out of that hole. 

Now that we need to start thinking about the cap, he’s going to make some hard calls.  

Could there have a bit more finesse?  Sure.. but we’re pointed in the right direction even if we tread a little water this year doing some housekeeping.  

(At least that’s what I hope happens... I can’t imagine we see a panic move here.) 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Good signing by JB. Completely happy with this one. Also think Holtby will have a better year under Clark. That was one of the reasons he signed here, which is a sign he's not satisfied and wants to get better. That's the mindset you want.

Sure going to miss Marky's level of compete and intensity. Loved that guy. 

Sorry, Markstrom was made into what he is by Ian Clarke.

Signing in Calgary for that term and amount shows us all that it's about money and not winning cups!

3 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Sorry, Markstrom was made into what he is by Ian Clarke.

Signing in Calgary for that term and amount shows us all that it's about money and not winning cups!

If the alternative was Vancouver for a year, then Seattle, or Calgary for 6 years, what would you have taken?  It's not always about the money

• Cheers 1

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

8 million back to back is not about money, right?

That's creative bookkeeping.  Showing the player that you are prepared to offset the escrow schedule to benefit the player.  Closest we came was in the Holtby contract, making it unpalatable for Seattle, but also benefitting the player with more salary under lower escrow

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

That's creative bookkeeping.  Showing the player that you are prepared to offset the escrow schedule to benefit the player.  Closest we came was in the Holtby contract, making it unpalatable for Seattle, but also benefitting the player with more salary under lower escrow

Thank you::D

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

8 million back to back is not about money, right?

Escrow is a joke, and is just good business to hold off money until it settles. He got job security. Dunno why you're hating on him for that. I don't blame him for leaving and honestly we got a replacement on a better contract. 4 years into Marky's deal it'll likely be pretty poop. So it's not even that big a hinderance on our franchise. Asking him to take a 2-4 year deal with us when he has had no big paydays is a awfully big ask. 

7 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

I really miss the likes of players Like Burr, KB3 etc who would take discounts to bring this city something special for us...All about money now.

Social media driven.  Even these talk radio clowns talk about contracts all day now.  This is the one thing i hate about the league now.  You ever  hear money being discussed back in the 90s or early 00s?  Rarely.  

Edited by EddieVedder

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Escrow is a joke, and is just good business to hold off money until it settles. He got job security. Dunno why you're hating on him for that. I don't blame him for leaving and honestly we got a replacement on a better contract. 4 years into Marky's deal it'll likely be pretty poop. So it's not even that big a hinderance on our franchise. Asking him to take a 2-4 year deal with us when he has had no big paydays is a awfully big ask. 

Not hating on that.

Ian Clarke made him

Signs with the enemy

Fired shots at management and team

security vs championships 

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Social media driven.  Even these talk radio clowns talk about contracts all day now.  This is the one thing i hate about the league now.  You ever  hear money being discussed back in the 90s or early 00s?  Rarely.  

Remember the old days when the players were ecstatic when they negotiated beer money added to their contract?

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

When you see bums like beagle,sutter, myers getting paid up the A$$. You are going to want to get paid as well .

Edited by Silky mitts
  • Upvote 1