The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Jacob Markstrom

As much as this stings, I think it was the right call.  Demko showed what he's capable of in his playoff starts and it would've been a mistake to go with the older, more expensive, NMC/NTC option in Marky long-term over him.  Yes, I know we now have BH, but not long-term and not ineligible for the ExDraft if I understand correctly. 

If the Flames hold true to recent seasons they'll be good in the regular season and then not show up in the playoffs which is unfortunate for such a great team-guy like Marky.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

As much as I respect Marky for all he’s done here. I hope we light him up whenever we face him and make him regret signing with a division rival

I can see the "Wamsley ... Wamsley" chant being revived, with a Marky twist

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

throwing shades at the canucks:ph34r:

Oh well, he's gone.

His career was stagnating in Florida and the Canucks helped him get to the place he is today. I'm pretty sure Benning, Clark and everyone believed in him, they just didn't want to give him the term and clauses he was looking for. 

6m is really not quite as bad as people are making it out to be. It's expensive, but look at some of the absurd contracts out there. It may have been more if it wasn't for the flat cap. Marky played very well behind our team with really poor defensive structure and I feel he is better than his already-good stats suggest. I think he will do well in Calgary and I wish him and his suit the best.

The real issue is length. They are apparently banking on him remaining healthy and productive as long as possible. There are already questions about his groin. This is a risky signing that could really go either way imo.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

6m is really not quite as bad as people are making it out to be. It's expensive, but look at some of the absurd contracts out there. It may have been more if it wasn't for the flat cap. Marky played very well behind our team with really poor defensive structure and I feel he is better than his already-good stats suggest. I think he will do well in Calgary and I wish him and his suit the best.

The real issue is length. They are apparently banking on him remaining healthy and productive as long as possible. There are already questions about his groin. This is a risky signing that could really go either way imo.

I dont think nucks fans really care about the 6m they care more about the term and potential nmc clauses that he would have gotten if we signed the same deal

Just now, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

If that had been their intent i wouldn't hate so much,but i wont give credit for them accidentally having good come out of their horrible tenure

Let's see. Keenan traded Linden to Islanders for Bertuzzi and McCabe. McCabe was a critical piece in trading up to get 2 draft picks to get both Sedins. Bertuzzi was not only part of the WCE, he also ended up getting us Luongo, who, in turn, ended up also giving us Markstrom. End we got Linden back for the 1st rounder. I'd say it was a great trade after all.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Would you want the Canucks to be paying Markstrom $6,000,000 six years from now with very little ability to move him?

.....and give up Demko to do it.  

Good teams know when it's time to move on.  Going with the younger cheaper goalie in this case was the right call.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Glad that Benning didn't sign Markstrom to that contract. Time to move on.

44 minutes ago, Darius said:

over at calgary puck some of them think they got the best goalie in the league.

I like Marky, but looking at it objectively he gave us one really good season. There were other seasons where he looked so so, and some seasons where he gave me a heart attack with his bad goals  I remember when Miller left i was really worried about Marky carrying the load.

So who will the flames get? The guy we saw last year or the guy we saw all those other years.  IMHO its not worth a 36 million dollar gamble.

It's like this on HF as well. While I think Marky is a stud I think a lot of issues seemed to get ignored. People act like we only won because of him but we were top 5 In GF and 22nd in GAA iirc. There's no doubt he stole games for us but there were many games the opposite was true as well.

He also allowed the first goal or two early and often, which forced the team to open things up more and he tended to get rattled after a goal causing a lot of 2 goals in quick succession scenarios. But because we were so good offensively more often then not it ended up being moot and the good far out-weighed the bad.

What made me hope we parted ways (besides contract) was I never felt truly comfortable with any lead we had. We must have been near the bottom in blowing 2 and 3 goal leads. Combine that with his overall play in the bubble which was very streaky and I'm not sure he's the guy to get us to the finish line.

Demko to me has ice in his veins and I honestly felt more secure with Demko who seems to always be square to the puck.

I wish him all the best and look forward to our new tandem, the fact Ian pushed for Holtby makes me think he saw something in Holtby that he believes he could work with or correct, that would get him back to his elite-level game.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

It's like this on HF as well. While I think Marky is a stud I think a lot of issues seemed to get ignored. People act like we only won because of him but we were top 5 In GF and 22nd in GAA iirc. There's no doubt he stole games for us but there were many games the opposite was true as well.

He also allowed the first goal or two early and often, which forced the team to open things up more and he tended to get rattled after a goal causing a lot of 2 goals in quick succession scenarios. But because we were so good offensively more often then not it ended up being moot and the good far out-weighed the bad.

What made me hope we parted ways (besides contract) was I never felt truly comfortable with any lead we had. We must have been near the bottom in blowing 2 and 3 goal leads. Combine that with his overall play in the bubble which was very streaky and I'm not sure he's the guy to get us to the finish line.

Demko to me has ice in his veins and I honestly felt more secure with Demko who seems to always be square to the puck.

I wish him all the best and look forward to our new tandem, the fact Ian pushed for Holtby makes me think he saw something in Holtby that he believes he could work with or correct, that would get him back to his elite-level game.

Without Markstrom the Canucks wouldn't have got past Minnie. Opps, forgot about Demko. Calgary hasn't had goal tending for a few years so I can see why they gave Marky such a deal. Now all we have to do is put up with Hrudy's crowing.