The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

18 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You're telling me that you were privy to a particular prospect more than other scouts? It would've been believable if you said Glass was 5 because a lot of mock drafts had him there. But to say you had Pettersson ranked there is not at all believable. Only one source put him at 5. The rest were quite diverse. One source didn't even put him in the first round!

Unfortunately for you, I did a search and saw that you didn't write a lot about Dobson OR Pettersson. :rolleyes:  Why do you have to lie?

Yawn. Just because a search doesn't have a name in it doesn't mean I'm not talking about that person. Most of my posts are quoting someone else. Here is the Caufield pick.

Posted June 8, 2019

On 6/8/2019 at 11:23 AM, stawns said:

I'd take Caufield over any dman not named Byram.  Not even close for me.  If they get Caufield at #10, we should all be jumping for joy.

Same here. Everyone likes to make excuses for why he won't get be a good player. Ie. Skating, size, playoffs etc.  His elite talent will shine through regardless of his 'short'comings. I expect his floor to be 25 goals and potentially upwards of 40 goals in his prime as his upside. 

Here are some posts about Dobson:

Posted June 2, 2018

On 6/2/2018 at 9:32 PM, Isam said:

Huh. Dobson is probably the fastest chl defenseman in the draft and probably one of the top five skaters overall. Also, what makes you think his offensive game is only gonna 30 points in his prime?

Agreed. I think 30 points is his floor...

Posted June 24, 2018

On 6/24/2018 at 9:02 PM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The defining moment for me is how the draft went down and JB’s post pick reaction.  

I truly belive in thus clubs scouting.  JB got his guy. That was clear and that alone should speak volumes. What do I know as a fan compared to the guys who drafted Boeser, OJ, Pettersson, Gaudette etc..  since Judd Brackett this team has picked the right guy more than not. 

The reality is that Quinn was fully expected to be taken prior to our selection and many of us did want Dobson or Bouchard. They could still prove to be better picks. But our guy is Hughes. So enjoy his potential. 

JB had his choice of d man and choose Hughes over the other three.  I down with that. 

To the auto bashing of Bouchard and Dobson, still believe in them as a players. Don’t think anyone needs to smear other picks. 

Expand  

Dobson was my guy but I had Hughes right behind. Time will tell who will be the better defenseman but I hope both can succeed to do well in this league.

I couldn't find much on Pettersson so I'm gonna let you take the win on that one. I actually didn't post much that draft which is unlike me. Based on my few posts though if Makar had been available I would've picked him.

This is what I had to say about the Virtanen draft and picking Ehlers:

Im a little warmer to the idea of drafting Virtanen. It's not because he has a great shot, skating or tenacity. The main reason I pick Virtanen over the other prospects is that I see him at worst a really good 3rd line hockey player but most likely an upside of 2nd line winger, MAYBE a 1st line winger...hence a really safe pick. Also what intrigues me the most is that he is one of the youngest of his draft class and will have ample time to hone his skill. I think Virtanen is maybe more of a project than some of the other prospects, and I expect him to take minimum 3 years to make it to the NHL and should not be rushed. I still think his potential upside is less than Ehlers and comparable with Ritchie but is most likely the safest pick of the three.

I pick Ehlers if I want the most exciting game-breaker and score 70 + points. He will instantly increase the speed of the team and would likely be the team's leading scorer after the Sedins retire/fade. Would be an instant fan-favourite. On the other hand, I don't see him as a total bust but maybe 20g 20a 40 point scorer playing on second line at worst(?)

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I keep asking................what is the one position we do not have a key player in

The answer is...............a Right Hand Dman

The next question is....................

When is the next time we will be in position to go after one?

So lets do it!

Heimosalmi it is!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Yawn. Just because a search doesn't have a name in it doesn't mean I'm not talking about that person. Most of my posts are quoting someone else. Here is the Caufield pick.

Posted June 8, 2019

I'd take Caufield over any dman not named Byram.  Not even close for me.  If they get Caufield at #10, we should all be jumping for joy.

Same here. Everyone likes to make excuses for why he won't get be a good player. Ie. Skating, size, playoffs etc.  His elite talent will shine through regardless of his 'short'comings. I expect his floor to be 25 goals and potentially upwards of 40 goals in his prime as his upside. 

Posted June 2, 2018

Huh. Dobson is probably the fastest chl defenseman in the draft and probably one of the top five skaters overall. Also, what makes you think his offensive game is only gonna 30 points in his prime?

Posted June 24, 2018

The defining moment for me is how the draft went down and JB’s post pick reaction.  

I truly belive in thus clubs scouting.  JB got his guy. That was clear and that alone should speak volumes. What do I know as a fan compared to the guys who drafted Boeser, OJ, Pettersson, Gaudette etc..  since Judd Brackett this team has picked the right guy more than not. 

The reality is that Quinn was fully expected to be taken prior to our selection and many of us did want Dobson or Bouchard. They could still prove to be better picks. But our guy is Hughes. So enjoy his potential. 

JB had his choice of d man and choose Hughes over the other three.  I down with that. 

To the auto bashing of Bouchard and Dobson, still believe in them as a players. Don’t think anyone needs to smear other picks. 

Expand  

Dobson was my guy but I had Hughes right behind. Time will tell who will be the better defenseman but I hope both can succeed to do well in this league.

I couldn't find much on Pettersson so I'm gonna let you take the win on that one. I actually didn't post much that draft which is unlike me. Based on my few posts though if Makar had been available I would've picked him.

Im a little warmer to the idea of drafting Virtanen. It's not because he has a great shot, skating or tenacity. The main reason I pick Virtanen over the other prospects is that I see him at worst a really good 3rd line hockey player but most likely an upside of 2nd line winger, MAYBE a 1st line winger...hence a really safe pick. Also what intrigues me the most is that he is one of the youngest of his draft class and will have ample time to hone his skill. I think Virtanen is maybe more of a project than some of the other prospects, and I expect him to take minimum 3 years to make it to the NHL and should not be rushed. I still think his potential upside is less than Ehlers and comparable with Ritchie but is most likely the safest pick of the three.

I pick Ehlers if I want the most exciting game-breaker and score 70 + points. He will instantly increase the speed of the team and would likely be the team's leading scorer after the Sedins retire/fade. Would be an instant fan-favourite. On the other hand, I don't see him as a total bust but maybe 20g 20a 40 point scorer playing on second line at worst(?)

I'd like itnoted, in no way did I think Podz was going to be there at #10.  other than that, I wanted CC

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd like itnoted, in no way did I think Podz was going to be there at #10.  other than that, I wanted CC

ok noted.

and now?

you can jump in a time machine if you want to go back to change the pick - but ixnay on glimpsing into the future.

1 minute ago, nzan said:

ok noted.

and now?

you can jump in a time machine if you want to go back to change the pick - but ixnay on glimpsing into the future.

no way I'd change the pick.  I expected Podz to go #3 and CC was the best player at #10 in that scenario, imo.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

9OA + OJ/Bone + Schmidt for Rhino and Risto?  

Seriously Alf

Can you tell me why you would move Rathbone, let alone our 9th for 2 guys that kill our cap, and take a 9th that could actually be the best guy in the draft?

Have you ever read Rathbone's reports from Harvard, and have you ever compared him with Fox, who just won the Norris? I am not saying he is Fox, but he has the 

potential to be a very good defenseman.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, TGokou said:

Posted June 8, 2019

Posted June 2, 2018

Posted June 24, 2018

Expand  

Fair enough. I take a win. You take a win. Let's call it a draw.

I wouldn't have expected anyone to talk about Pettersson so highly, so if that was in fact the case, you'd clearly be in the minority. Good that you projected Caufield though. His drop was kind of expected, given his size, but again, I'm totally happy that he's overcome all those questions with his skill.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Demko has had a long list of lengthy injuries.  

i wouldn’t feel comfortable with this scenario unless Ian Clark thinks Mikey is ready. 

I don’t think he is. It’s too soon. 

If we trade Holtby, then we’ll need to find another backup tender for cheap to back up Demko. Don’t want to be running Demko into the ground like Calgary did with Markström. Look how that turned out for them. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t think he is. It’s too soon. 

If we trade Holtby, then we’ll need to find another backup tender for cheap to back up Demko. Don’t want to be running Demko into the ground like Calgary did with Markström. Look how that turned out for them. 

That's fine we could probably find a cheap option. There's a bunch of Gs on the market.

The hard part would be trading Holtby.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That's fine we could probably find a cheap option. There's a bunch of Gs on the market.

The hard part would be trading Holtby.

Isn’t there that rumour that Boston is interested in Holtby? 

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its funny how many on CDC who advocate rebuilding also loved acquiring Tofolli. And criticize letting him go. 

It is pretty obvious that JB has never been a rebuilder.  Whether that is his own mandate, or the owners, is debatable? That we have not been sellers often undeniable. FTR I would have been an advocate for selling 2, 4 & even 6 years ago.  Right now, at this minute sell?

This year I think we just let Podkolzin, with some luck Lind, Rathbone arrive. Ask for growth from Hogz / Petey / Quinn. Find a RHD and tinker with the bottom 6.  Next summer we will have all kinds of flexibility to add key pieces to the roster.

I dont really want to talk about selling.  The time to move Schmidt, for example, if there was one would be next deadline. And it will still be unlikely Benning will have any mandate, or impetus to sell.  

Who do you like with our 2knd; will Scott Morrow be there?

Agree 100%… next year would be a final evaluation of the parts surrounding the core players, so once Eriksson, Roussel and Luongo $ are off the books, management will have maximum frexibility to make the final adjustments/ trades so become a contender again. 

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Agree 100%… next year would be a final evaluation of the parts surrounding the core players, so once Eriksson, Roussel and Luongo $ are off the books, management will have maximum frexibility to make the final adjustments/ trades so become a contender again. 

Yep.

Prefer them to keep the pick.  Wait until next year after all the bad contracts and penalties are gone.  Start fresh with full 0 bad contracts.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1