The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

The Detroit trade today likely means they are not going to take a goalie I'd assume.  I assume we will have a chance to take 1 of Guenther, Hughes, Edvinsson, Johnson.  Keep it simple, take the 1 that is available.  I'll be pissed if we go with anyone outside of that top 9.

They only signed the new goalie for 2 years.  This could be to give Wallstedt time?  Trade for an nhl ready goalie does not at all preclude them from drafting the best goalie available. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

They only signed the new goalie for 2 years.  This could be to give Wallstedt time?  Trade for an nhl ready goalie does not at all preclude them from drafting the best goalie available. 

Fair enough.  He is only 25 though, I figure they see him a long term solution A la Demko.  Could be wrong though.

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering if more Canadians ar3 watching this than Americans.  In fact I’m thinking that even though we are 1/10th the population, ten times as many of us are watching.  Hate all the US teams, almost as much as I hate the other Canadian ones. 

Hate ‘em all!  Hate you too Seattle!  Losers! :gocan:

You are a true fan(atic)!  Me too!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

The Detroit trade today likely means they are not going to take a goalie I'd assume.  I assume we will have a chance to take 1 of Guenther, Hughes, Edvinsson, Johnson.  Keep it simple, take the 1 that is available.  I'll be pissed if we go with anyone outside of that top 9.

A goalie acquired with a 3rd round pick, signed for $3 mill is a moneypuck decision.  A good one IMO. They did not acquire Vasilevski?

Its not a franchise direction bending decision for Detroit.

I doubt it affects their draft.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Barbashev would be great.

Nichushkin for a 2nd would be a very JB move. 

Uh no.

Nichushkin has already bolted to Russia once, thus reflecting a character issue. Benning was very very careful about Podkolzin. Giving up a 2nd for Nichushin is a big mistake. Draft a Russian if you have to instead.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A goalie acquired with a 3rd round pick, signed for $3 mill is a moneypuck decision.  A good one IMO. They did not acquire Vasilevski?

Its not a franchise direction bending decision for Detroit.

I doubt it affects their draft.

Don't let the small return or contract fool you though, this kid was absolutely fantastic in Carolina last year and in the playoffs.  I'd be stunned if they took a goalie in the top 10, but who know, guess we have to wait until tomorrow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Don't let the small return or contract fool you though, this kid was absolutely fantastic in Carolina last year and in the playoffs.  I'd be stunned if they took a goalie in the top 10, but who know, guess we have to wait until tomorrow.

Carolina has a much better d than Detroit though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Big difference between playing behind that Canes team and what is in Detroit.  Imo this guy blows up, and Little Yzerboy is looking very foolish.  Putting a young goalie into such a bad situation is asking for a mess.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Big difference between playing behind that Canes team and what is in Detroit.  Imo this guy blows up, and Little Yzerboy is looking very foolish.  Putting a young goalie into such a bad situation is asking for a mess.  

I do not agree with Ned altering any disposition to draft a goalie.  But I do believe he is a solid, well developed Goalie deserving an NHL shot. Backstopped, was the best player according to many, an AHL championship Checkers squad. Almost another...

He's paid his dues. I think he's ready!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Uh no.

Nichushkin has already bolted to Russia once, thus reflecting a character issue. Benning was very very careful about Podkolzin. Giving up a 2nd for Nichushin is a big mistake. Draft a Russian if you have to instead.

I dunno man 

Nisch Dickinson Podkolzin

looks like a very good 3rd line.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Uh no.

How is playing in the KHL a character issue?  Datsyuk bolted there too and guessing that's not a character issue.  There could be a lot of reasons for that and is a pretty big assumption.  

Nichushkin Dickinson Podkolzin would be a pretty epic third line as mentioned above.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

How is playing in the KHL a character issue?  Datsyuk bolted there too and guessing that's not a character issue.  There could be a lot of reasons for that and is a pretty big assumption.  

Nichushkin Dickinson Podkolzin would be a pretty epic third line as mentioned above.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/09/19/drama-in-dallas-as-nichushkin-reportedly-close-to-khl-deal/

Drama in Dallas as Nichushkin reportedly close to KHL deal (Updated)

511491020-e1468678353481.jpg?w=1024
Getty

Latest update: The pendulum swings back in favor of Valeri Nichushkin signing with CSKA Moscow of the KHL, according to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman.

Nothing is official yet, however.

The Valeri Nichushkin saga in Dallas could be over soon — and not with the ending the Stars or GM Jim Nill hoped for.

Nichushkin, a still-unsigned RFA, had his KHL rights acquired by league powerhouse CSKA Moscow on Monday, per Sport-Express.

Not long after that news broke, various reports (including the original from R-Sport) claimed that Nichuskin was working on a two-year pact with CSKA.

The contract term is interesting, in light of this:

The rift between Ruff and Nichushkin is well-documented.

Nichushkin, the 10th overall pick in 2013, showed well as a rookie, scoring 14 goals and 34 points in 79 games, but his sophomore campaign was a nightmare — he missed nearly the entire season with a hip injury and subsequent surgery, and only appeared in eight contests.

Last year, he struggled.

And Ruff wasn’t exactly all warm and cuddly about it.

In fact, the veteran bench boss sent a message right at the start of the season, making Nichushkin a healthy scratch while adding the 21-year-old needed to “get his head in the right place.”

In late March, an interview with with Russian news outlet Sport-Express made waves, as Nichuskin said he didn’t feel Ruff trusted him, or played him enough.

Not long after, Nichuskin’s agent tried to clear the air.

“Val loves it in Dallas,” Mark Gandler told the Morning News. “He’s very happy there.”

Maybe not that happy.

Update:

Gandler denied a deal with CSKA has been reached, per Sportsnet, but didn’t rule out his client going to the KHL.

FWIW agent says "nothing is done and all options remain open" https://t.co/nEJ4GLdAOI

— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) September 19, 2016

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/09/19/drama-in-dallas-as-nichushkin-reportedly-close-to-khl-deal/

Drama in Dallas as Nichushkin reportedly close to KHL deal (Updated)

511491020-e1468678353481.jpg?w=1024
Getty

Latest update: The pendulum swings back in favor of Valeri Nichushkin signing with CSKA Moscow of the KHL, according to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman.

Nothing is official yet, however.

The Valeri Nichushkin saga in Dallas could be over soon — and not with the ending the Stars or GM Jim Nill hoped for.

Nichushkin, a still-unsigned RFA, had his KHL rights acquired by league powerhouse CSKA Moscow on Monday, per Sport-Express.

Not long after that news broke, various reports (including the original from R-Sport) claimed that Nichuskin was working on a two-year pact with CSKA.

The contract term is interesting, in light of this:

The rift between Ruff and Nichushkin is well-documented.

Nichushkin, the 10th overall pick in 2013, showed well as a rookie, scoring 14 goals and 34 points in 79 games, but his sophomore campaign was a nightmare — he missed nearly the entire season with a hip injury and subsequent surgery, and only appeared in eight contests.

Last year, he struggled.

And Ruff wasn’t exactly all warm and cuddly about it.

In fact, the veteran bench boss sent a message right at the start of the season, making Nichushkin a healthy scratch while adding the 21-year-old needed to “get his head in the right place.”

In late March, an interview with with Russian news outlet Sport-Express made waves, as Nichuskin said he didn’t feel Ruff trusted him, or played him enough.

Not long after, Nichuskin’s agent tried to clear the air.

“Val loves it in Dallas,” Mark Gandler told the Morning News. “He’s very happy there.”

Maybe not that happy.

Update:

Gandler denied a deal with CSKA has been reached, per Sportsnet, but didn’t rule out his client going to the KHL.

FWIW agent says "nothing is done and all options remain open" https://t.co/nEJ4GLdAOI

— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) September 19, 2016

Good context for this, however without being there, none of us know the full situation.  If you perform well, get injured and then your coach doesn't play you at all, you have to look out for yourself and your career.  An organization will not do that, and I think the fact that he came back speaks volumes.  I wouldn't judge his character negatively based on that.

9 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Good context for this, however without being there, none of us know the full situation.  If you perform well, get injured and then your coach doesn't play you at all, you have to look out for yourself and your career.  An organization will not do that, and I think the fact that he came back speaks volumes.  I wouldn't judge his character negatively based on that.

It should be noted that Lindy Ruff was not in the fold anymore when he came back...

Edited by Dazzle

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It should be noted that Lindy Ruff was not in the fold anymore when he came back...

Yeah, hard to know all of the specifics of that dynamic.  Lot happens behind closed doors and sometimes only a fraction of that would actually come out.  Either way, I feel Nuke isn't a core player, so if the cost is low and he fits a need we don't have (Debatable still) he may be an okay add.  To your overall point, even if he's a good Russian player, he may not be a mentor.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Would be interesting to see how he performs with Detroit: is he a goalie who benefitted from a better coached team with (also) a better roster (like Schmidt) or will he be exposed in Detroit ?   

Edited by ShawnAntoski

I posted the first half of my final mock draft a couple days ago. Here's part two:

17. Winnipeg - Matt Coronato - I kinda doubt he'll actually fall this far, but I didn't really see a good fit in the previous few picks. Ottawa or Vancouver would make a lot of sense but that seems slightly early for him.
18. Nashville - Brennan Othmann - Lambos or Ceulemans would also make a lot of sense here, but can't see Othmann falling much further.
19. Edmonton - Corson Ceulemans - They like Western Canada and particularly the AJHL lately.
20. Boston - Tyler Boucher - Almost all of their picks under the new DAS have been out of USHL. And Sweeney has shown he doesn't mind going way off the board.
21. Minnesota - Zach Bolduc - Sweden is another likely option but this would be a bit of a reach for any left. They like CHL. Doubt Bolduc falls much further.
22. Detroit - Carson Lambos - Western Canada, defenseman with size, big faller, high-risk high-reward. Fits a lot of the boxes for what you think of as an Yzerman and also vintage Detroit pick.
23. Columbus - Nikita Chibrikov - Kekalainen likes them Euros and Russians, and this is a good spot for Chibrikov.
24. Minnesota - Francesco Pinelli - Again, they like CHL, particularly OHL, and this is the right range for Pinelli.
25. Florida - Samu Tuomaala - They have been really big on Finns since Barkov, and have had some success there.
26. Carolina - Xavier Bourgault - The new regime seems to be all about skill based on last year's draft. And they took Bourgault's linemate last year inPonomaryov.
27. Colorado - Logan Stankoven - Sakic loves western Canada, loves skill and hockey sense, and doesn't mind a little bit smaller player.
28. New Jersey - Zach L'Heureux - Tough to say, still not much history to go off for the current group. They took a QMJHLer in the first round last year.
29. Vegas - Matt Samoskevich - They took Brisson from USHL Chicago last year, so they will be familiar with Samoskevich
30. Montreal - Aatu Raty - Another team that likes picking Finns lately. Someone is bound to take a chance on him by the end of the first I'm sure.
31. Tampa - Daniil Chayka - They like picking big defensive D with their late firsts, and don't mind picking Russians at all.