The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights sign Alex Pietrangelo

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah that’s the problem. Unless it’s only a couple GM’s. I’m sure there’s a lot of them salivating over the idea 

I think Vegas has no friends in the GM world. McPhee taking the GM award pissed a lot of GM's off. The entitled antics of the team, the abilty to sign players with the no state tax. Vegas will get this cap compliant, but it's gonna cost them. I doubt MAF goes anywhere which is great as they can have that fester in the room. 

• Like 1

Just now, rekker said:

I think Vegas has no friends in the GM world. McPhee taking the GM award pissed a lot of GM's off. The entitled antics of the team, the abilty to sign players with the no state tax. Vegas will get this cap compliant, but it's gonna cost them. I doubt MAF goes anywhere which is great as they can have that fester in the room. 

I hope every team makes them pay through the nose in each and every trade. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, cuporbust said:

Who do they replace Toffoli with??? Hoffman? Jim is not looking good right now at all. No buyouts,  no trades , lost almost all his free agents to good value contracts......I'm not optimistic at all after seeing the Toffoli deal personally. All those guys leaving for good deals says something is definitely not right here.

I wouldn’t even try to replace Toffoli. I think the forward group is fine. Id be cool with a guy like Granlund sort term otherwise Leaves a bit of room for a guy like Lind if he can crack the line-up. We only really brought Toff in because we thought Boeser was done for the year 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Devron44 said:

I wouldn’t even try to replace Toffoli. I think the forward group is fine. Id be cool with a guy like Granlund sort term otherwise Leaves a bit of room for a guy like Lind if he can crack the line-up. We only really brought Toff in because we thought Boeser was done for the year 

Who slots into the top six? 

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

I sure hope so

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who slots into the top six? 

Probably JV if he isn’t traded .

I also think it wouldn’t be a bad idea to shift Gaudette to the wing. I think he could be successful there. Let’s not forgot his trajectory is a late bloomer. 5th round draft pick. Already a .5 ppg player in his second year 

Edited by Devron44

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Who do they replace Toffoli with??? Hoffman? Jim is not looking good right now at all. No buyouts,  no trades , lost almost all his free agents to good value contracts......I'm not optimistic at all after seeing the Toffoli deal personally. All those guys leaving for good deals says something is definitely not right here.

Maybe he’s just letting cap shed without taking anything on to negate that.   TT is wasn’t that impressive this playoffs and his ten game sample size - I’ve seen guys line Dixon Ward do that before.  No loss there.  Not to mention we couldn’t afford all three last season if the team was healthy....patience is a virtue 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

And there it is.  Canucks in tough to even make the playoffs at this point.  Calgary, Edmonton and Vegas all improved while we have some gargantuan holes in our lineup at the moment.

Vegas is as much a threat as last year, Edmonton has a horrendous bottom 6, defence and goaltending. Couldn't even beat Chicago in the play in. Calgary added 2 good pieces lost 3 and a half (Talbot is streaky) 

For those who appreciate such things, here’s Dom Luszczyszyn’s chart for the Pietrangelo contract:

6CAD2020-8A4B-4AF4-80C7-363C8C1A5A26.jpeg.1f8cf1a1e89431a93557d7beff9175f4.jpeg

Shows a very small net loss over the life of the deal (600k/yr too rich).

However, it does appear that Dom has prepared this chart using GSVA and not GSVA/82 (in which, due to the shortened season, Pietrangelo’s 2019-20 would rise to something equivalent to 3.3, instead of 2.5, and his curve would start higher and probably show a net positive over the life of the deal).

Also worth remembering that 2023 is the year the new USA TV contract comes onto the books. Right when Pietrangelo is predicted to fall from “elite” to “number one” status.

Overall, I do expect this contract will be a net positive deal, barring any serious injuries. 

Pietrangelo should be good for 3-4 years of “elite” play, and then solid first pairing for most of the remainder, maybe falling to top four in the final year or two (by which time the cap should be a lot higher).

• Cheers 1