The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jayce Hawryluk

6 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

and Ferland IMO or he plays 5 or so and has concussion symptoms again, finally calling it

Yeah, he's had how many now the last few years and it seems his Post concussion syndrome are getting worse. If he gets one more, like you said, he should retire. Not worth the hassle of playing hockey and not remembering your family members names or where he lives

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Leivo

Gaudette - Sutter - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Hawryluk

Eriksson

MacKewan

Lind

Got to think that's what our forward group looks like all healthy. JB clearly has some work to get us there.

Can’t fit that under the cap Levio JV unsigned with one mill.left
I’ll be disappointed ( but not surprised as Jb seems to hate his Own prospects ) if  hawrlyuk gets in over mackewan SIZE tougness and a good skater. 

sutter needs to go via trade. But that hasn’t changed since we got him. 
And you forgot furlund and rousell 

unless you think both will be gone.

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Wat 2

21 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Can’t fit that under the cap Levio JV unsigned with one mill.left
I’ll be disappointed ( but not surprised as Jb seems to hate his Own prospects ) if  hawrlyuk gets in over mackewan SIZE tougness and a good skater. 

sutter needs to go via trade. But that hasn’t changed since we got him. 
And you forgot furlund and rousell 

unless you think both will be gone.

I'm hoping JB can move Roussel and his cap can be used to squeeze Leivo in for 1M and JV for 2.75M.

As for Ferland, I see him playing 5 mins before getting a concussion again so not counting on him long term.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Listened to his zoom. Love his attitude. Got a good feeling about this guy. 

I remember he was fairly highly touted as a prospect, & he ended last year w/ 7 pts in 11 games in Ottawa. That's encouraging.

The question for me is where he plays, I don't think he choose VAN to be a healthy scratch. Maybe this means they're considering a Sutter buyout.

could be. I would think they'd like to hang on to Sutter for the C depth. Maybe there's a deal for Roussel in place? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm hoping JB can move Roussel and his cap can be used to squeeze Leivo in for 1M and JV for 2.75M.

As for Ferland, I see him playing 5 mins before getting a concussion again so not counting on him long term.

Right,  it’s to bad because those two (Fur and Rousel ) are the type of players we need more than sutter and even more so Louie. 
We are Just to easy to play against And have an ineffective 4 check with no size behind it. 

once again the CDCs always confused super troll strikes again. 

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

The bubble rosters were 31 players  - so an extra 8 players were allowed to join the club.

Typically in playoff hockey you can have any number of players available - but you're limited to 4 non-emergency recalls onto your roster - effectively capping your 'roster' at 27 (with the exception of injury/'emergency' replacements).

If there is no AHL this coming year, but the NHL does play - then it's likely there is some kind of 'black aces' extensions of the rosters...  If you're typically allowed 4 recalls, and this year were allowed 8 extras....it's possible it falls in that range - and additionally it will be interesting to see but the likelihood would probably be that typical waivers would also have to be modified/suspended...  Teams might wind up with forward groups in the 16/17 range, 10/11 D, 4 goaltenders...?

an expanded roster does make a lot of sense, regardless of how they rig the AHL. It sounds like the PA and NHL will be discussion all of this over the next couple of weeks so we should know pretty soon.

11 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

could be. I would think they'd like to hang on to Sutter for the C depth. Maybe there's a deal for Roussel in place? 

I do recall mentioning something like that for the last year or so...:P

Really though, I'd have been fine moving him to clear cap if they brought in a Richardson... Maybe even a guy like Haula still on a cheap deal or trade for someone etc. But if it's looking like Sutter can't be moved and/or can't be replaced easily, we're going to need that C depth.

In that case, I'd imagine one or both of Roussel/Baer would need to be moved off. 

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

It's an interesting thought. His defensive abilities would certainly fit what is our best match up line. He's shown offensive ability at every other level. He certainly fits the bill of a 'Travis Green player'. I'd not be surprised to see him given a shot there.

For the detractors, If nothing else, he's yet another player in the way of Eriksson being in the starting 12 :towel:

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I do recall mentioning something like that for the last year or so...:P

Really though, I'd have been fine moving him to clear cap if they brought in a Richardson... Maybe even a guy like Haula still on a cheap deal or trade for someone etc. But if it's looking like Sutter can't be moved and/or can't be replaced easily, we're going to need that C depth.

In that case, I'd imagine one or both of Roussel/Baer would need to be moved off. 

Baer would be ideal, he's dead weight whereas Rous and Sutter, when healthy, can still be pretty useful. 

But it doesn't really matter, Jake should be signed soon and then there's a team set for next year if all the moves are done, with maybe 500k or so in cap space. 

If we can move Baer we can maybe bring in a Hamonic, but tbh I'm not sure thats much better than Juolevi-Benn/Rafferty. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, luckylager said:

Because he wants to play.

He's spent his entire memorable life working towards the dream of being an NHLer and winning a cup.

It could be all he knows AND all he wants.

Yes, I get that..... but seems more to me that he's just using the contract to milk it for his pre-retirement cheques!!! If you can't stay healthy 100% or produce at a 100% level, you are just handcuffing the team's cap space... if that makes any sense.... 

It really sucks that no medical experts can surely say if he can come back without any risks of more concussions so that's the grey area... and we can't sign a Hoffman using a sporadic LTIR cap relief.....  I think?

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Leivo

Gaudette - Sutter - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Hawryluk

Eriksson

MacKewan

Lind

Got to think that's what our forward group looks like all healthy. JB clearly has some work to get us there.

There's no point keeping Eriksson around anymore... let's free up that spot and give it to Hoglander if he impresses in camp.... 

Also, I'm confident JB will make use of the LTIR on Ferland to sign up a true top 6 winger like Hoffman!! 

6 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Is 14 pages for a minor signing a record on here?

Happy October. 

You wouldn’t know he’s a fringe nhl 4th liner on bad teams with the way the JB super fans are acting like we stole the unqualified RFA from the highly competitive And deep Senators. Who claimed him off the other super deep and highly competitive panthers. 

we lost some ahlers Boucher goldobin he’s more their replacement than a nhler. 

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

You wouldn’t know he’s a fringe nhl 4th liner on bad teams with the way the JB super fans are acting like we stole the unqualified RFA from the highly competitive And deep Senators. Who claimed him off the other super deep and highly competitive panthers. 

we lost some ahlers Boucher goldobin he’s more their replacement than a nhler. 

Just because people like a signing or a trade doesn’t make them JB homers. I’m all honesty there are probably very few people on these boards that wouldn’t argue he has made some mistakes along the way, and some worse than others. 

The reason why people are moderately impressed is that in his limited NHL time he put up good figures and played a similar game to Motte.

It gives competition in training camp and from genre we can see where he slots in. 

4 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Just because people like a signing or a trade doesn’t make them JB homers. I’m all honesty there are probably very few people on these boards that wouldn’t argue he has made some mistakes along the way, and some worse than others. 

The reason why people are moderately impressed is that in his limited NHL time he put up good figures and played a similar game to Motte.

It gives competition in training camp and from genre we can see where he slots in. 

Well said. 
I am in the middle on JB.  Some good some bad. 
I Think he has had one of his better off seasons. I have said for a few years, he is a better GM when tight to the cap. 
Usually the best deals are the ones you don’t make and the contracts given to Markstrom and Tanev were deals better not made even if we take a step back this year. 

This is a fan board where people are consistently posting even though there is no obvious hockey season on the horizon 

I think it is reasonable to post reviews about the signing of a depth player.
Our team was seriously lacking centre depth and this is a decent signing to build that. 

• Like 1