The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Panthers sign Anthony Duclair

3 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

Didn’t Ottawa offer him more than that and he turned them down? So much for being his own manager and getting a better deal lol.

Yep... it appears agents can be useful.  I heard one of the insiders saying he was asking for something in the $5 million range.  

Apparently there were also several GMs who said they wanted to call and check in on him but didn’t have his phone number or a way to get a hold of him.

Maybe not the brightest of bulbs.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

Didn’t Ottawa offer him more than that and he turned them down? So much for being his own manager and getting a better deal lol.

This has happened to other players this year.  I'm thinking Toffoli.  Although we don't know what the Canucks offered, he accepted much less than last season.

Actual salary down from $4.8 to 3.25 (AAV 4.6 to 4.25) he did get a 4 year term.

3 hours ago, reyezone said:

Amazing there hasn’t been more UFAs signed. There are a lot of quality players that won’t have a chair when the music stops. 

For real though, and those who are signed will likely have to take a good chunk less

I doubt many players opting to go the ufa route saw the squeeze getting as bad as it is 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

This has happened to other players this year.  I'm thinking Toffoli.  Although we don't know what the Canucks offered, he accepted much less than last season.

Actual salary down from $4.8 to 3.25 (AAV 4.6 to 4.25) he did get a 4 year term.

His actual salary is down on purpose this year as a demand from his end.  Agents are structuring deals around the called escrow limits.

A $4.6 million salary with 30% reduced via escrow and deferrals is worth less than the same dollars in later years with only a 6% escrow cap.

Toffoli was one of the players who did just fine this offseason.  

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Yep... it appears agents can be useful.  I heard one of the insiders saying he was asking for something in the $5 million range.  

Apparently there were also several GMs who said they wanted to call and check in on him but didn’t have his phone number or a way to get a hold of him.

Maybe not the brightest of bulbs.

Would a GM not call his agent???????? I would say that is a rumour...Bad rumour....Any team can get to a player from his agent? 

Is that not why players have agents?? Truth be know he thought he might get a better deal, never worked out for him??

13 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Good for Florida sucks for him as I’m sure he turned down a much better offer earlier thinking he could get more and wound up with less.

But Florida does have the better team so maybe he's betting on himself so he can a better contract next season 

8 hours ago, wildcam said:

Would a GM not call his agent???????? I would say that is a rumour...Bad rumour....Any team can get to a player from his agent? 

Is that not why players have agents?? Truth be know he thought he might get a better deal, never worked out for him??

Ummm he didn’t have an agent.... that was literally what the post was about.

He decided to be his own agent and was terrible at it.... including not even having teams know is to reach him.

16 hours ago, reyezone said:

Amazing there hasn’t been more UFAs signed. There are a lot of quality players that won’t have a chair when the music stops. 

Meh, when Cory Perry is the third ranked UFA available I wouldn't say there are a lot of quality players left. Guess it depends on your definition of "quality".