The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

I’m convinced the virus is already throughout BC. If symptoms are like cold / flu, then the vast majority just assume it’s that and don’t get tested. Might as well embrace it rather than going ape over it.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’m convinced the virus is already throughout BC. If symptoms are like cold / flu, then the vast majority just assume it’s that and don’t get tested. Might as well embrace it rather than going ape over it.

A university in Vancouver just shutdown because of the virus. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6636184/university-canada-west-closes-vancouver-campus-following-presumptive-case-of-covid-19/

University Canada West closes Vancouver campus following presumptive case of COVID-19

ja-headshot-2.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=136&h=136&crop=1
BY JON AZPIRI GLOBAL NEWS
Posted March 5, 2020 11:24 am
Updated March 5, 2020 6:53 pm
WEB_NH_MCARTHUR_COVID.jpg?w=1040&quality=70&strip=all2:05Major jump in COVID-19 cases in B.C., including first case of community transmission
 There are 8 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in B.C., bringing the total number of cases to 21. Thirteen of those are tied to travel to Iran and one case has been identified through community contact. Aaron McArthur has more.

A private Vancouver university says it has closed its doors after identifying a student with a presumptive case of COVID-19.

In a statement, University Canada West said the “student had been visited by their father who has positively been tested for COVID-19 upon visiting from overseas.”

The student’s roommate is in isolation.

Students and staff who may have been in close contact with the students have been identified and contacted, the school said.

Globalnews.ca coverage of COVID-19

JPEG_MACARTHUR_COVID_MAR4.jpg?w=1200&quality=70&strip=all
2:02B.C.’s 13th case of COVID-19 is a senior in critical condition
  •  

Edited by J-23

On 3/4/2020 at 11:30 AM, ktcy2 said:

While I do sympathize with these kids I would have to say what you have brought up here is very naive. The pandemic so far killed thousands of innocent people around the globe. It hasn’t really affected you yet, but it does not mean it won’t come to us. From what I know there are already 9 deaths in the states.

What really is your point here bringing this up? To sound clever? To be against the flow on purpose to show that you aren’t scared? 

Too show how pathetic this world is. 

10 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Heard N95 is useless if not fit tested.

N95 masks sizes are pretty generic. Fit tests are basically to ensure that a seal if formed. Chances are if you have access to one it will work. The most important thing is to make sure it’s on right. Which you can learn during at fit test. So I guess, yeah, fit tests are pretty important.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone who thinks the Canadian government or the BC provincial government is doing a good job must give their head a shake. Do you seriously believe the officials when they tell you it’s a flu, or it’s nothing concerning and that the risk is low etc etc.? 

Think first, don’t blindly buy what the government is selling. Wonder why people in China, Iran, japan, South Korea, Germany, Italy, Singapore and etc are all freaking out??? Guess, just take a breath and think. They are freaking out because what, they are stupid? or are we stupid for not panicking?its very easy to see where this is going but yet they refuse to acknowledge the danger of this spread due to economic/tourism etc etc etc. 

chances are low blah blah blah. Excuse me, but it’s getting worse, what are you gonna do about it? Of course, nothing. Because you don’t have the knowledge or expertise to handle this. Just admit it 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Protect yourself how?

By hoarding supplies like toilet paper. I'm not sure how the hoarding of toilet paper helps here but it seems to be a thing............

An Australian family have accidentally bought 2,300 toilet rolls

Fri 6 Mar 2020 02:59:08 GMT

Amidst the shortage of toilet paper as Australia panic buys it on coronavirus concerns these folks ticked the wrong box on an online order form and got two pallets of the stuff delivered

• 2,304 rolls
  • were charged $3,264
  • 12 years supply

Thing is they have (accidentally) nailed the timing and now its a hot item, they are having no trouble offloading the excess. 

Amidst the shortage of toilet paper as Australia panic buys it on coronavirus concerns these folks ticked the wrong box on an online order form and got two pallets of the stuff delivered

"Who Gives A Crap" Premium toilet paper. :lol:

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Except for this Canadian who returned home with coronavirus

Fri 6 Mar 2020 04:15:14 GMT

Canadian press on an Ontario person who went to a conference in Vegas and subsequently has tested positive for COVID-19.

• As of writing the article reports the total number of infections in Ontario at 24.
  • Cheers 1

Toilet paper is overrated, worst case scenario you can wash your ass, soap is more important imo.

I decided to beef up our canned goods supply so I bought spam, never tried it before.

After opening first can to try it, I promptly threw it out.

That thing was rough and that is coming from a guy that had MRE’s, Vietnam era crackers, all kinds of cans etc.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ktcy2 said:

Anyone who thinks the Canadian government or the BC provincial government is doing a good job must give their head a shake. Do you seriously believe the officials when they tell you it’s a flu, or it’s nothing concerning and that the risk is low etc etc.? 

Think first, don’t blindly buy what the government is selling. Wonder why people in China, Iran, japan, South Korea, Germany, Italy, Singapore and etc are all freaking out??? Guess, just take a breath and think. They are freaking out because what, they are stupid? or are we stupid for not panicking?its very easy to see where this is going but yet they refuse to acknowledge the danger of this spread due to economic/tourism etc etc etc. 

chances are low blah blah blah. Excuse me, but it’s getting worse, what are you gonna do about it? Of course, nothing. Because you don’t have the knowledge or expertise to handle this. Just admit it 

um....  you realize that corona viruses are a family of flu viruses? what do you think it is?

no, we are not stupid for not panicking. Thats the right thing to do when facing a major problem. 

Do you really think places like the BC Centre for Disease control is just there to spread misinformation? 

On 3/4/2020 at 11:30 AM, ktcy2 said:

While I do sympathize with these kids I would have to say what you have brought up here is very naive. The pandemic so far killed thousands of innocent people around the globe. It hasn’t really affected you yet, but it does not mean it won’t come to us. From what I know there are already 9 deaths in the states.

What really is your point here bringing this up? To sound clever? To be against the flow on purpose to show that you aren’t scared

Are you truly scared right now?

2 hours ago, kurtis said:

Too show how pathetic this world is. 

This virus is serious to anyone that is elderly or immunocomprimised. So you might not be scared but someone taking immunosuppresants such as prednisone either for a graft or an organ transplant would be in high risk of dying. Someone at age of 60 ro 70 or 80 would be afraid because of higher risks. Now they might not die if they got a cold but their chances of dying becomes much greater if they get COVID19. People just trivialize this virus when it hasnt infected everyone yet but its spreading fast. The death toll is based on 100,000 cases. Now imagine if we get 10 million cases or 100 million cases.

Edited by DefCon1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Are you truly scared right now?

Actually young people like you and me arent scared but if you had the virus, would you be scared to go near your grandmother or grandfather? I think we should be more cautious and stay home when sick. Bringing up number of deaths related to cancer or car crashes or flu or depression or shootings in US is irrelevant to this issue. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

um....  you realize that corona viruses are a family of flu viruses? what do you think it is?

no, we are not stupid for not panicking. Thats the right thing to do when facing a major problem. 

Do you really think places like the BC Centre for Disease control is just there to spread misinformation? 

I dont get your point? so you want to make it sound like its nothing? I guess the spanish flu was just like any normal flu except it killed 50 million people which is about 2-3% of the world population during that era. I guess 50 million is also just another number. The problem why it will spread even faster is because there are lots of ignorant people that might not take precaution or take this seriously. I mean if its just another flu, maybe you should visit Wuhan or Tehran. The virus is more deadlier than a typical flu and stats back this up. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HI5 said:

Heard N95 is useless if not fit tested.

No, they are not useless.  The ones I have are adjustable to fit your face as close as possible.  The difference between N95 masks is the thickness.  N95 masks are really thick and made of heavy duty material.  The blue medical masks you see people are made of paper and pretty porous.

• Cheers 1

7 new cases in ireland. Spreading fast. Only way to stop it is to start taking it seriously. 

Yes perhaps right now the mortality rate is “low”, but one loved one lost can change a family. 

Take it seriously for the people that are in danger from the virus, if not for yourself. 

• Upvote 3