The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

21 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Not to this extent though don’t you think? We’ve had virus break outs before and measures like this weren’t taken. We had social media back then as well. 

The last significant worldwide virus epidemic was H1N1, in 2009.  the same year Twitter started.

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

OMG dude.  Do you even do research before posting utterly stupid and wrong facts like you just did???

Population in 1918 = 1.8 billion

Probable Spanish flu deaths = 17.4 million (but could have been higher)

% of human population that died from spanish flu = 1% of human population

https://ourworldindata.org/spanish-flu-largest-influenza-pandemic-in-history

Go actually read facts before you post utter nonsense.  Good god.....:picard:

Kinda helps prove your earlier point, huh? :)

• Cheers 1

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

But would you agree that social media has really really ramped up their reporting on this virus compared to past years?

I mean, more than 4,600 people have died from coronavirus. 

From Oct 1 2019 to Feb 29 2020 there were 20,000 to 52,000 deaths from the flu in the USA alone.

4600 WORLDWIDE DEATHS FROM CORONAVIRUS - Dec 2019 till now

20000-52000 FLU DEATHS JUST IN THE USA - Oct till now

250000-500000 FLU DEATHS EACH YEAR WORLDWIDE

You are right. This is not the flu so far.  So far, it has many less deaths. Yes, that could change.

I know we all have to pay attention.  But the fear mongering has hit a whole new level and that is not helping our young people.

If you listen to the experts around the world covering this they all say the same thing, this is not the flu and it is dangerous to think that way. According to research done by them and the WHO this much deadlier and much more infectious. If this gets to the flu numbers then the mortality rate could be much higher than the flu. Even the lowest mortality rating of 0.6 out of South Korea is 6 times deadlier than the seasonal flu. 

I will asses the risk of this based off of the opinions and experts around the world watching this unfold rather than basing it off another sickness that has nothing to do with it. 

You don’t compare flu fatality numbers to cancer fatality numbers so why would you compare a new virus we know very little about and have no vaccine for with the flu. They aren’t even the same family of virus. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Petey40 said:

If you listen to the experts around the world covering this they all say the same thing, this is not the flu and it is dangerous to think that way. According to research done by them and the WHO this much deadlier and much more infectious. If this gets to the flu numbers then the mortality rate could be much higher than the flu. Even the lowest mortality rating of 0.6 out of South Korea is 6 times deadlier than the seasonal flu. 

I will asses the risk of this based off of the opinions and experts around the world watching this unfold rather than basing it off another sickness that has nothing to do with it. 

You don’t compare flu fatality numbers to cancer fatality numbers so why would you compare a new virus we know very little about and have no vaccine for with the flu. They aren’t even the same family of virus. 

I totally agree with your bolded and was not trying to say covid19 is the flu but I did use the wrong wording I suppose.

My main point was mass social media is creating unnecessary fear and causing anxiety in our young people that is unneeded.

There is a huge difference in being informed and prepared as opposed to be frightened into inaction or taking stupid actions like hoarding toilet paper.

• Upvote 1

A couple questions for anyone who might know. 

How does something like this end? Wouldn't it just keep on being passed around? 

I know it's not the flu but it's contagious. Isn't Corona here to stay?

If you have the flu can you also get Corona?  Then wouldn't you be screwed? 

33 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

I doubt it.. I have the most awful flu I have every experienced (at least I hope its flu..), and work would still like me to come in on the weekend since I missed a lot of days this week. I will disinfect everything of course but still seems like an unnecessary risk considering where we are at.

Crap

Hope you feel better soon!

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

OMG dude.  Do you even do research before posting utterly stupid and wrong facts like you just did???

Population in 1918 = 1.8 billion

Probable Spanish flu deaths = 17.4 million (but could have been higher)

% of human population that died from spanish flu = 1% of human population

https://ourworldindata.org/spanish-flu-largest-influenza-pandemic-in-history

Go actually read facts before you post utter nonsense.  Good god.....:picard:

Someone corrected me 5 minutes later already..

No I did not do research on this one, I did it from my mind and mixed up the infected (which was a third)  with dead, sorry for that.

Probably also had the pest in mind which actually killed a third of the worlds population between 1346 and 1353 (did research for you now)

Nevermind that, my point is still valid that we might not just be fine.. but hey go flame me now, wait 2 weeks and then honestly I hope you have

reason to flame me again but unfortunately I don't think so.. this thing is out of control already

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

There is a huge difference in being informed and prepared as opposed to be frightened into inaction or taking stupid actions like hoarding toilet paper.

To be fair, that's not a social media problem, that's a stupid people problem.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I totally agree with your bolded and was not trying to say covid19 is the flu but I did use the wrong wording I suppose.

My main point was mass social media is creating unnecessary fear and causing anxiety in our young people that is unneeded.

100% agree, panic is not the answer and can cause a lot of harm. People should take their knowledge based on their local health experts or directly from CDC or WHO not social media. Just be safe and take the proper precautions. 

Dr. Bonnie Henry just responded to a question about a coronavirus model brought up by another doctor.  That model states there may be an infection rate of between 30% and 70%.  That would match or beat the Spanich Flu at 33% and now with 8 billion people on earth there could be 2.4 billion to 5.6 billion infected people.

IF the death rate did end up being 3% then we get anywhere from 72,000,000 to 168,000,000 dead worldwide if the model is anywhere close to accurate.  That is crazy though...

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

Killed about 3-5% of the population and infected around 1/3rd. Still an ASTRONOMICAL number of people killed and affected, but your post sounded like the Spanish Flu killed 1/3 of the population. Just want to make sure people don't misconstrue and use it in further arguments.

where did you get the 3-5%?   a simple google gives you this (flu refers to the spanish flu):

The World Health Organization estimates that 2-3% of those who were infected died(case-fatality ratio). It is estimated that approximately 30 million were killed by the flu, or about 1.7% of the world population died.

3 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Yes, you can get Corona. If you had the flu or had the flu shot, that won't protect you from COVID19, which is a new disease no one has immunity to.

Edited by DonLever
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

A couple questions for anyone who might know. 

How does something like this end? Wouldn't it just keep on being passed around? 

I know it's not the flu but it's contagious. Isn't Corona here to stay?

It ends when it makes its way through most people. The vast majority are mild cases in which people build up immunity to it. 

Different verions of corona could come back in the future when the virus itself mutates just like we had SARS before or the Spanish Flu in 1918.

If you have the flu you could still get corona. Most people have mild reactions to the flu and to corona.  But those older people and people with compromised immunities would be in trouble.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Because doctors and health officials have been comparing it with the flu. That has been their starting reference point.  How is exactly is it dangerous to think that way?   The precautionary measures hand washing and don't touch your face and so forth are the same ones with the flu.   

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, samurai said:

where did you get the 3-5%?   a simple google gives you this (flu refers to the spanish flu):

The World Health Organization estimates that 2-3% of those who were infected died(case-fatality ratio). It is estimated that approximately 30 million were killed by the flu, or about 1.7% of the world population died.

My stat was sourced from this National Academies paper: The Threat of Pandemic Influenza: Are We Ready? Workshop Summary (2005). Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. pp. 60–61

A more recent report (2018) claimed a lower figure, but it's been contested.

Very uncertain what the actual number is.

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

My stat was sourced from this National Academies paper: The Threat of Pandemic Influenza: Are We Ready? Workshop Summary (2005). Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. pp. 60–61

A more recent report (2018) claimed a lower figure, but it's been contested.

Very uncertain what the actual number is.

Mentioned this earlier in the thread...

Not 100% on this, but i'd assume that in reality there are a lot of unreported cases due to mild symptoms for some, therefore bringing down the percentage??? 

•