The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just wanted to share this recent study for people who may be interested:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765184?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=content-shareicons&utm_content=article_engagement&utm_medium=social&utm_term=042220&fbclid=IwAR0-iQWnoWp3zeIg-dX87HWt8jfZMHmVGK0AdVudLedBJLAdEEecZFA3VdQ#.XqEDDZcKVkk.twitter

I find the baseline characteristics outlined in table 1 to be pretty interesting.

Seems like of the 5700 patients part of this study, most were middle aged, obese, Caucasian men, with diabetes and hypertension.

Edited by Amaneey

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Yes. Comparing humans to Pawpaw, sheep and goat is the Tanzania way.

Perhaps 1st world nations are a bit more advanced than that.

Two of those three are actually former girlfriends of mine.:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

When you're not testing at maximum capacity, when you refuse to test more because you don't want to see actual numbers, when you question the validity of testing in the first place, when you decide you'll will the virus away by Easter and reopen the country by Memorial day, when you refuse to conform to CDC and WHO recommendations yourself and insist that no one around you wear a mask because of bad optics and then find out that the dude that serves your food every day has it, and that Pence's press secretary has it, and that your own daughter’s personal assistant has it, which really means, many more around you have it, when you go on record blaming everyone else instead of taking responsibility for the carnage a Nation is suffering...

...when you horde the podium for re-election purposes instead of actual Covid-19 information sessions, and you offer your non-medical expertise of injecting disinfectant and impaling people with light through "you know what" (we all know that that meant) even though career medical experts are sitting there, frozen with fright because you bully them "back stage", when you don't listen to career medical experts on pandemics, when a nurse in front of you tells America that PPE is sporadic and you counter with "maybe sporadic for you, but for us we have more PPE than we can handle. We have so much of it we're going to start helping other countries", and then just bully her into submission on live TV...

...when you don't cooperate with the 50 States and 5 territories under your jurisdiction, when you declare the President’s powers as “total”, when you decide to do nothing and let it play out, when you threaten to quarantine a whole State; an act of War, when you pirate PPE from sovereign airports around the world and prevent other Nations from receiving their paid products, when you horde PPE against your own people, then resell it to the private sector so they (you) can make a profit by selling it back at a higher price to hospitals, when you threaten to pull funding from so-called "blue States", when you don't believe in the pandemic yourself...

...when you say that the presented CDC re-opening guidelines "will never see the light of day" because it calls for not exchanging Bibles among Bible-thumpers and toys between kids, when you use this pandemic to attempt a covert Coup d'État in Venezuela out of Florida, and your personal “Roy Cohn” Bill Barr drops the Mike Flynn Russia case impromptu and conspiring against actual LAW, when people are dying of a pandemic and you “take no responsibility” and you're tweeting nonsense at 1am about all the wrongdoings everyone is doing unto you...

...somehow, numbers become irrelevant.

AND YEAH. IT'S YOUR GOD DAMNED FAULT.

About the best summation of these Ineptitude Olympics I have seen.

Almost reads like an opening statement in a trial at the Hague.

And to think you did not even mention the 5-6 week head start that was completely squandered.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

This is just another post with wayyyyy too much wrong in it, being supported by the usuals @Me_ and @Cerridwen  good job guys.  

If it's a water soluble vitamin that you can just urinate in to the toilet you would be even less likely to gain toxicity, but in this case it's not water soluble it's fat soluble and is not excreted through urine.  So your knowledge of Vit D is extremely minimal.  You would have to take 60,000 iu of VIT D per day for several months to gain toxicity.. That's a crazy, stupid amount and if someone does something dumb like that they deserve the toxicity from it.  The RDA is 400iu so unless tons of people are going out and buying a bottle of pills and then saying to themselves "hmm I think I wanna take 150 times the recommended dose for several months" I think we should be okay. 

Do you know what the side effects of Vit D toxicity are?  Nausea, weakness, frequent urination and if it is allowed to progress you may develop kidney stones.  Do you know what the treatment for Vit D toxicity is?  It's simply just stop taking Vitamin D.  Is that frightening or what?  

Do you know what the possible consequences of being deficient in Vit D and having Covid-19 are?  I'll give you a hint, it's a lot worse than nausea.

I'm saying get some Vit D, I'm not saying get some Vit D then take 60000iu(150x the RDA) for several months until you start vomiting on yourself. 

Ok bud.

We’ve been nice to you so far.

Don’t mess with Cerridwen. This is the second time you do this.

Why don’t you take a break and reset yourself for a little while. 

Because right now you’re 

D8302378-9B4D-4690-98C6-12E1DF3DFAF9.gif

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 2

On 5/8/2020 at 2:02 PM, Russ said:

Guiness in Ireland is 100% different.  You can drink it at room temperature and it tastes great, you do that once it gets to Canada and its dog s****. Apparently the nitrogen goes to crap once its shipped/flown.

Yeah its quite nice here, for a stout. Very creamy taste to it. 

Dont try to go on a bender with guiness though. If you can manage to choke down enough to get drunk off of, your doodoo is going to be black the next day. 

Lots of iron in guiness. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2020 at 7:12 PM, The 5th Line said:

@Cerridwen @RUPERTKBD @Me_ @canuck73_3

You all supported this fellows post ^ 

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=229772

Do you think when I recommend vitamins, I'm telling everyone that they don't need to live a healthy lifestyle as long as they have a bottle of pills beside them? There is plenty of evidence that supplements along with a healthy lifestyle can help fight off infectious diseases.  

https://www.nutraingredients.com/Article/2020/04/23/Public-Health-England-extends-Vitamin-D-supplement-advice-during-lockdown

But people already know enough about health and vitamin D.  Right?   Well, less than 31% of Brits are aware that Vitamin D supplementation is recommended in the wintertime.  

https://www.dairynutrition.ca/nutrients-in-milk-products/vitamin-d/vitamin-d-status-of-canadians-results-from-the-canadian-health-measures-survey

These dairynutrition surveys are from 2013

31% of Canadians are insufficient in vitamin D/  10% of those 31% are deficient.  So approximately 15 million people in Canada are not getting enough Vitamin D and 5 of those 15 million are deficient

Now I'll tell you what Vitamin D doesn't do... It doesn't create large profit for big pharma.

While the studies that have been done on the link between Vitamin D + coronavirus mortality are weak at best, I support your desire to enhance the knowledge regarding Vitamin D supplementation in the general population. There's a good chunk of that populace that an increase in Vitamin D intake could derive some benefit (more for those with high risk of osteoporosis). 

https://osteoporosis.ca/bone-health-osteoporosis/calcium-and-vitamin-d/vitamin-d/

General recommendations are 400-1000iu for health adults 19-50 years of age. Those at high risk of osteoporosis and >50 years of age, the recommendation is 800-2000iu per day. 

VITAMIN D FOOD SOURCES

Show 102550100 entries
Search:
Food Serving Size IU's per Serving
Swordfish, Baked or Broiled 75 g 761
Salmon, pink, Canned, Drained with solids and bones 75 g 435
Cod Liver Oil 5 mL/1 tsp 426
Salmon (Sockeye), Baked or Broiled 75 g 394
Snapper, Baked or Broiled 75 g 392
Milk (all types) 1 c/250 mL 103-105
Soy Beverage, Enriched 1 c/250 mL 86
Yogurt, Plain, Vitamin D Added 175 g 82-113
Egg Yolk, cooked 2 Large 64
Tuna, canned in water, drained unsalted 75 g

Edited by Duodenum
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I am? good to know. 

What you've posted are articles that essentially say "vitamins are good for you". Not really a news flash.

What you have not done is conclusively linked vitamin d deficiency to covid survival, which seems to be your goal. This kind of conjecture is what fuels Facebook groups and hoarding. 

Come back to me when you have an actual conclusive study, not just "suggests". 

Stick with alcohol and cigarettes, it appears to do the trick.B)

• Haha 2

On 5/7/2020 at 7:12 PM, The 5th Line said:

Now I'll tell you what Vitamin D doesn't do... It doesn't create large profit for big pharma.

you know what else vitamin d doesn't do? lower your blood pressure. Allow to you live a normal life with HIV. Prevent you from getting a blood clot. And 1000 other things "big pharma" has helped people with. Sure it has its dark side like any industry, but I sure hope this rant your on hasn't been to make this point. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Stick with alcohol and cigarettes, it appears to do the trick.B)

expensive pee aside, I think this kind of jumping on the cure du jour has been a big part of the problem with how many people have viewed the pandemic. There are people out there who really do need vitamin d supplements and the kinds of "studies" Big Vita put out are just going to cause vitamin hoarding. 

People complain about big pharma, and sometimes rightly so, but for the most part our pharma capabilities have led to millions leading normal lives. Its the excess vitamin and supplement folks that are really cashing in that bother me, much of that stuff has claims no one follows up on. 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

expensive pee aside, I think this kind of jumping on the cure du jour has been a big part of the problem with how many people have viewed the pandemic. There are people out there who really do need vitamin d supplements and the kinds of "studies" Big Vita put out are just going to cause vitamin hoarding. 

People complain about big pharma, and sometimes rightly so, but for the most part our pharma capabilities have led to millions leading normal lives. Its the excess vitamin and supplement folks that are really cashing in that bother me, much of that stuff has claims no one follows up on. 

You are right. My issue with big pharma is saving lives shouldn't be a huge money maker.

I never buy into these ancient Indian, Chinese, etc, etc remedies. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You are right. My issue with big pharma is saving lives shouldn't be a huge money maker.

I never buy into these ancient Indian, Chinese, etc, etc remedies. 

I used acupuncture and it works pretty well.

Last time I bought Chinese herbal medicine it got recalled for causing liver failure.

Shouldn't be surprised since lead in toys, deadly pet food and high levels of melamine in milk.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

I used acupuncture and it works pretty well.

Last time I bought Chinese herbal medicine it got recalled for causing liver failure.

Shouldn't be surprised since lead in toys, deadly pet food and high levels of melamine in milk.

Tbh I have been healthy, never take anything not even tylenol. It's one of the reasons I don't have the best understanding for pharma related conversations because have been fortunate to not need medicines for pains, headaches or anything. If I get the common cold it's halls and water basically and I don't get sick enough to make halls rich haha.

• Cheers 2