The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

If every country on the planet has crushing debt from it, is it really crushing debt?  To whom?

you and me friend. There's no other place for it to come from. The NDP likes to talk about taxing corporations but there's a very practical limit to that.

• Cheers 3

55 minutes ago, skategal said:

I don't think I've heard either Dr. Henry or Adrian Dix instruct anyone to send their kids to school.  They have provided the option, it's up to the parent to make the choice.  

Its great they provide the option.

Maybe they should also ensure that schools classrooms have sinks / water / and hand sanitizer/soap. 

Do teachers  now need to bring their own sinks / taps and huge bottle water from home... and provide it to BC students ?

How about keeping symptom free kids from Covid infected households home instead of mixing them with other students ?

Dr Bonnie did a great job for BC when Covid started but her decisions lately have been very strange.  Maybe she just does not have much of any understanding of how rough some of BC schools are looking the last 10 years due to cutbacks of funding .  I wonder is she has her kids or grand kids attending  public elementary schools in Whalley or Central Surrey ?

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

A friend of mine a few years ago got a part time job at Costco with minimal hours, wage was poor. That said like the veterans there make great money for 0 education. I remember in high school working at save on foods in the meat department. We got rid of lots of machines and "meat cutter" were now glorified minimum wage staff basically but they got ATO's every month and made mid to high $20's/hr with a great pension. But a new worker like me got part time closing hours and made $8/hr with no chance of full time work or benefits.

Times sure have changed.  About six months ago (well before this "crisis") I remember looking thru 'job ads' and seeing a bunch of *ENTRY LEVEL* jobs asking for X years experience & multiple references.  I mean, wtf?  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Nobody here does any actual research before they lay out their stance.  This is such a hopeless place 

Yes, and that  includes you.   People that try to tell RN's about covid issues...  really ?

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Its great they provide the option.

Maybe they should also ensure that schools classrooms have sinks / water / and hand sanitizer/soap. 

Do teachers  now need to bring their own sinks / taps and huge bottle water from home... and provide it to BC students ?

How about keeping symptom free kids from Covid infected households home instead of mixing them with other students ?

Dr Bonnie did a great job for BC when Covid started but her decisions lately have been very strange.  Maybe she just does not have much of any understanding of how rough some of BC schools are looking the last 10 years due to cutbacks of funding .  I wonder is she has her kids or grand kids attending  public elementary schools in Whalley or Central Surrey ?

I can't wait to see how your reaction will be in September. 

:)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

Teaching is not a job it's a calling. People who get into it because it's a good job are usually the worst teachers.

It's not a calling with any decent dough here in BC though. Quite low pay here. 

And the job isn't just teaching anymore. It's raising other peoples children, more students than ever per class. It seems to be looked at also like a daycare.

I find it interesting that people that say "the kids need to go back to school!" have stated mostly the first reason as ' the parents need to get back to work...get the economy going...'

I would have thought the first thing they would have said is "so my child can continue to develop, learn in a manner that I am not skilled enough to provide at home"

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

We're just borrowing from ourselves. It will run out. 

Depends on how they go about it.  The Great Depression was worse and they spent their way out of that

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's not a calling with any decent dough here in BC though. Quite low pay here. 

And the job isn't just teaching anymore. It's raising other peoples children, more students than ever per class. It seems to be looked at also like a daycare.

I find it interesting that people that say "the kids need to go back to school!" have stated mostly the first reason as ' the parents need to get back to work...get the economy going...'

I would have thought the first thing they would have said is "so my child can continue to develop, learn in a manner that I am not skilled enough to provide at home"

It's not about getting parents back to work, it truly is about getting kids back to school. 

The cost of daycare would pretty quickly negate the money made by a parent returning to work.  (especially considering many daycare's don't do part-time, you either pay for the spot Mon-Fri or they fill it with someone who will).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Depends on how they go about it.  The Great Depression was worse and they spent their way out of that

We are now globally connected in ways that we weren't in the 20s and 30s, and in a twisted way the war also helped end the depression.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It's not about getting parents back to work, it truly is about getting kids back to school. 

The cost of daycare would pretty quickly negate the money made by a parent returning to work.  (especially considering many daycare's don't do part-time, you either pay for the spot Mon-Fri or they fill it with someone who will).

I say, let's put safety and lives above all else.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Probably because every parent knows (by now) that they are not cut out to be teachers.  I know I'm not.  My kids drive me nuts.  Can't imagine having to teach 20+ kids. 

Lol.

:P

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Probably because every parent knows (by now) that they are not cut out to be teachers.  I know I'm not.  My kids drive me nuts.  Can't imagine having to teach 20+ kids. 

Lol.

:P

Just like herding cats. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Nobody here does any actual research before they lay out their stance.

You mean like how our leader Horgan and his chief medical officer planned with the minister of education to re-open schools but not preschools/daycares - meaning every single teacher/administrator/EA/secretary//custodian,ect... out there with kids of their own younger than school aged is absolutely effed.   You mean doing research like that.....?

edit, sorry, that's not research - it would probably just fall into the 'common effing sense' category wouldn't it?  

Edited by Fanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

You mean like how our leader Horgan and his chief medical officer planned with the minister of education to re-open schools but not preschools/daycares - meaning every single teacher/administrator/EA/secretary/ect... out there with kids of their own younger than school aged is absolutely effed.   You mean doing research like that.....? 

This article is dated May 15, 2020 and is posted on the BC gov website.  I didn't think child care providers were ever ordered to close?  I could be wrong, but this document doesn't sound like they were ordered closed.  

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/covid-19/covid-19_child_care_guidance_-_2020_may_15_-final.pdf

This document provides interim guidance for child care services to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 and maintain safe and healthy environments for children and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. It identifies key infection prevention and control practices to implement in child care settings and actions to take if a child or staff member develops symptoms of COVID-19.  Based on the current epidemiology of COVID-19 in B.C., and the fact that children are at a much lower risk of developing COVID-19, child care providers are encouraged to remain or re-open, while supporting the health and safety of children and adults.  Child care services should adapt as much as possible to implement public health and infection prevention and control measures, including staying home when ill, physical distancing, minimized physical contact, hand hygiene, frequent cleaning and disinfection, as described in this guidance. 

• Cheers 2