The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

Lost a friend today.

Nope, she didn’t die.

She wrote this:

“This virus is manmade. No natural coronavirus has HIV proteins on its envelope/capsid. It was created. That’s why it’s so deadly. Natural viruses arise to get rid of toxic organisms in an environment so they don’t pass on their DNA and create offspring that will not be fit to survive the environmental conditions. This is evolution! 

What’s happening now is a man-made crisis, no matter how much main stream media bs they may feed you. Stop blindly believing the government. “

Yeah..... nah.....

No, The Coronavirus Was Not Genetically Engineered To Put Pieces Of HIV In It

The spread of misinformation in this world is more deadly than the spread of the virus itself.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So is Bonnie Henry going to make masks mandatory soon? 

Dr B and Horgan  do not seem to believe masks work to limit covid transmission.......

Soon pretty much every store in Vancouver will make the decision and make them mandatory though. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dr B and Horgan  do not seem to believe masks work to limit covid transmission.......

Soon pretty much every store in Vancouver will make the decision and make them mandatory though. 

It’s weird that so many other places make mask wearing mandatory but not BC. Even with the increase in cases. I’m wearing a half mask respirator when I head out. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It’s weird that so many other places make mask wearing mandatory but not BC. Even with the increase in cases. I’m wearing a half mask respirator when I head out. 

BC is a very weird place.  That is true.    Many people here believe in the most  current science.... but at the same time, many people do not. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Pathetic, I thought this was a covid thread, not a teacher or politics thread. I'm wrong.

I agree, you are wrong.

People are concerned for their kids not soo much about the teachers.

Politics come up now and again because our leaders decisions affect us all. Its human for people to wonder if the party they would rather have had in power would be doing a better job. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Too many BCers  can be more Me mentality ( american )  than WE mentality ( other countries ) 

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sound like some really great chocolate. 

The crazy thing is:

Unlike phencyclidine (PCP or angel dust), MDMA (ecstasy or Molly), and cocaine, cacao isn't considered a controlled substance by the U.S. government; in other words, sniffing cacao isn't illegal. Furthermore, there's only scattered and scant research on the neurological effects of cacao and chocolate.”

52 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

The politics of anti-science is ripping the world apart. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Me_ said:

In other news...

My niece went back to school in Quebec. His mother, my sister, sent her there as a responsible 6 year old.

When she got into class, she was the only child with a mask on. The teacher asked her to take it off because it’s not mandatory. My niece refused telling her teacher it protects her and others. 6 years old.

The teacher then ripped it off her face and told her she was an embarrassment and that she was making the other students uncomfortable. 6 years old.

It is taking every part of my soul not to drive there for hours and wait for that stupid teacher and break her legs with a baseball bat. See if she believes in science.

Sure sounds like that teacher should be in line for a suspension if thats the crap they are doing.  If someone wants to wear a mask, damn straight you let them.  If it was actually ripped off her face and that was my kid that teacher would be getting a complete ass kicking.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Distance is the most important thing. When the message is that masks are the most important, it make people think they are 100% protected and they get too close and lower their guards.

The truth is, you need N95 masks and wear them properly with fit testing done. That's not likely the case.  Just look around, most people don't even wear a surgical mask correctly. And they keep touching it and contaminating themselves. 

Yes, wear facial coverings when you can't keep distance, or have to be indoors sharing air with others.  But keep the contact as brief as possible.  Dosage and time are important. 

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Distance is the most important thing. When the message is that masks are the most important, it make people think they are 100% protected and they get too close and lower their guards.

The truth is, you need N95 masks and wear them properly with fit testing done. That's not likely the case.  Just look around, most people don't even wear a surgical mask correctly. And they keep touching it and contaminating themselves. 

Yes, wear facial coverings when you can't keep distance, or have to be indoors sharing air with others.  But keep the contact as brief as possible.  Dosage and time are important. 

OK - but i thought masks were more about limiting the amout amount of covid particles emited by potentially sick people.....

Did not really think masks were about protecting the user........

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

OK - but i thought masks were more about limiting the amout amount of covid particles emited by potentially sick people.....

Did not really think masks were about protecting the user........

That is true It should make a difference on a sick person using a mask or not.  On the other hand if you are walking down the street yawning and someone sneezes in your direction, you would think a mask would help the situation. I work at a hotel on the island and started wearing a mask just due to the large amount of out of province visitors we have now from Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. If there’s a chance it makes a difference, I’d rather have it than not. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Whale Tail said:

That is true It should make a difference on a sick person using a mask or not.  On the other hand if you are walking down the street yawning and someone sneezes in your direction, you would think a mask would help the situation. I work at a hotel on the island and started wearing a mask just due to the large amount of out of province visitors we have now from Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. If there’s a chance it makes a difference, I’d rather have it than not. 

yah i thought a mask was 90% about you emiting covid into the air.... and 10% about you breathing in covid.

Basically can help in both regards at least somewhat.  So i wear the mask any time i am indoors around others..

Wearing a mask to me is mostly about respecting the health of others near me.   Just only a little about me protecting myself. 

7 hours ago, Whale Tail said:

Exactly. KOS is correct in saying that for the most part, masks are for protecting others, but it can certainly act as partial protection for the wearer as well. It's just important to note that as @Jaimito pointed out, it is most effective when used as part of a strategy. Social distancing and frequent hand washing play an important part as well.

• Cheers 2

Finally reading some media here that is looking at what is going on..

About time. 

While B.C. has been a Canadian leader in its coronavirus response, a Simon Fraser University (SFU) health expert says the province has failed in getting its message to younger people.

It comes as the province sees COVID-19 cases surging, driven largely by social gatherings of younger adults in the Lower Mainland.

SFU health sciences professor Scott Lear believes that’s in part because since the start of the pandemic, B.C.’s messaging has focused on how the virus affects vulnerable people, particularly the elderly or those with chronic illnesses.

“I think the message that we hear is that if you’re young you’re not going to die … so you’re not going to be really at risk,” he told Global News.

“So there doesn’t really seem to be a message that hey, look, everybody needs to be concerned here.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/7273037/bc-coronavirus-young-people-messaging/

wow.....  BC government is really going against public opinion on this one.

A new poll from Insights West found that 79 per cent of respondents support mandatory masks for teachers and staff, with majority support for mask-wearing for high-school students (77 per cent), middle school (73 per cent), older kids (67 per cent) and younger children (58 per cent).

https://vancouversun.com/news/many-b-c-parents-want-to-see-kids-wearing-masks-at-school-this-fall/wcm/e232902b-259d-4d4d-a0ab-8cf878c37a1c/

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

wow.....  BC government is really going against public opinion on this one.

A new poll from Insights West found that 79 per cent of respondents support mandatory masks for teachers and staff, with majority support for mask-wearing for high-school students (77 per cent), middle school (73 per cent), older kids (67 per cent) and younger children (58 per cent).

https://vancouversun.com/news/many-b-c-parents-want-to-see-kids-wearing-masks-at-school-this-fall/wcm/e232902b-259d-4d4d-a0ab-8cf878c37a1c/

Are they afraid to tarnish their reputation as being ahead of quashing the curve? It really doesn’t make any sense.

It would be in BC’s best interest to stop lionizing Bonnie Henry at this point. She’s not the answer nor is she a saviour. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1