The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

49 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

For purposes of comparison, that is 429,647 deaths in almost exactly one year. (Approximately 365 days)

In all of World War 2, the US counted 416,800 deaths. That took the 3 years, 8 months and 7 days that the US was at war with Germany and Japan.

But but but.... this Corona virus is fake news pushed by the fake media.  /s.

Had this same argument with a relative back in late April when I made the comparison to the number killed in the Vietnam war; which killed 58,000 Americans over ten years vs the Covid virus that at the time I posted had already killed 52,000 Americans in 3 months. She kept on telling me that it was no more deadly than the seasonal flu.

19 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

But but but.... this Corona virus is fake news pushed by the fake media.  /s.

Had this same argument with a relative back in late April when I made the comparison to the number killed in the Vietnam war; which killed 58,000 Americans over ten years vs the Covid virus that at the time I posted had already killed 52,000 Americans in 3 months. She kept on telling me that it was no more deadly than the seasonal flu.

Keep sending her links to the truth. 

No point in arguing. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

For purposes of comparison, that is 429,647 deaths in almost exactly one year. (Approximately 365 days)

In all of World War 2, the US counted 416,800 deaths. That took the 3 years, 8 months and 7 days that the US was at war with Germany and Japan.

But the tin foil hat brigade will say it's "No worse than the flu...".

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

To late lol. She has blocked me and dropped me off her friends list. She has had run ins with members of her own family as well.

You can’t save those who want to drown in the waters of their own ignorance and misinformation. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

You can’t save those who want to drown in the waters of their own ignorance and misinformation. 

Sad but true.. I guess only time can reveal the true depth of the brainwashing that went on under Trumps tenure. Some will eventually see the light and some will be forever lost in the abyss

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Removed by mod

This isn't just about deaths there pal.  Go read up on long-Covid.  Go read up on the lung issues researchers are finding from even asymptomatic cases.  Go read up on the people under 40 who've spent significant time in the hospital, getting pumped full of drugs and on oxygen.  

This is the kind of talking point that people who think this is no big deal use, and they, and you, are dead wrong. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200811/asymptomatic-covid-silent-but-maybe-not-harmless#:~:text=In the lungs%2C scientists have,glass opacities on CT scans.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Removed by mod

Ignorant. The long term effects are not yet realized. Many are experiencing respiratory compromise even after 'beating' covid. But, as you say, facts must be faced.

Excess mortality (deaths above expected) in Canada:

image.png.03f9eb8e71104ba1e6a497e68f68df9b.png

During the spike in spring excess mortality was up around 25% then looked to be up 8%ish in the summer. This data doesn't include the second wave so we could probably expect those values to resemble April.

Here is Canada (data only goes to September) vs USA all age groups expressed as a percentage:

image.png.992fd8412c3142be72e141ef9c8a926b.png

I even excluded the 85+ age group for you:

Spoiler

image.png.4a975b1cba712a861c5a958c3bf85265.png

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

colossal ahole

Removed by mod

Un&^@#ingbelievable.

Stawns is right, you ARE a colossal asshole.....I filled in the letters he so very considerately left out

However, I have no problem calling an asshole an asshole when I see one.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

From Stats Canada. I hope you didn’t need that nut. 

“From January to October 2020, there were an estimated 241,257 deaths in Canada, representing an excess of 10,090 deaths above and beyond what would have been expected if there was no pandemic. In comparison, for the same period, there were 228,058 deaths in 2018 and 226,994 in 2019.”

Edited by GSP*
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

14 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thats Funny GIF by MOODMAN

Government being government.... Lets never plan proper, lets push everything to the damn limits.  The fact they didn't administer one dose, hold a second for EVERY first dose given and now we already had it up past 30 days, now they are pushing it to the 42 days because the CDC says it can be done, thats garbage.  These manufacturers put 21 and 28 days on their doses, need to follow what they post not keep going with other government agencies are pushing.  Rather see less people done right now but with 2 doses than more people on single doses and now there is no guarantee they will get it by the 42 day limit. Every dose should have a pair to be administered 3 weeks later.

I was ok with the NDP, I keep giving them chances as I still think they have done overall ok since we aren't in Ontario or Quebec stages but if they bumble the hell out of this, they are dead to me next election and it'll be between Liberals and Greens and I won't even consider the NDP after such stupidity.