The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'll just drop tihs off right here.

https://nccid.ca/publications/social-distancing-as-a-pandemic-influenza-prevention-measure/

Reveal hidden contents

Note: a "review [of] the recent literature" - where the author is able to select which sources to cite and have discretion to disregard others - is hardly a robust way to predict suitability of a particular intervention, especially in the case of an "unprecedented" pandemic.  And yet it appears she's chosen to stick with the "findings" of her published work somewhat dogmatically, until the "findings" are individually proven wrong by other jurisdictions.  I feel like we're being used as lab rats.  :picard:

why wouldn't she use what she knows best? I don't know why you'd question her integrity over a 2011 article? 

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Most small businesses that I have dealt with have complied within government recommendations and may still be punished with another shut down. Such as the gym I go to. Hundreds of people through the door every day; one COVID case that didn't spread to anybody else as we know. Business should stand in unison and reject another shutdown and carry on because as Francesco said.. they may not survive. At the end of the day you have to look out for yourself because nobody else will.

8 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I know it likely won't be, but I sure hope schools are at the top of that list.  
Must be some fancy blinders to ignore the pool of people aged 10-19 that are the most commonly mingling nowadays while everyone else is at home.
Either that or the schools must've paid her to deem it as an essential service important for mental health such that the person's overall health can be neglected

Don't hold your breath on schools closing anytime soon Phil.

In fact, the latest we've heard from the Education Minister - who has been very conveniently out of the public eye recently - is that the government is doubling down on their stance of keeping schools open at ALL COSTS (seemingly even if those costs are actual lives of the citizens of BC).  His claim that schools being open is keeping society safer than if they were closed is absolute political nonsense at it's very best (or worst, depending....):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-education-minister-schools-covid-19-1.5806274

I agree with you, and many others that there needs to be a new plan for Education (and business) in BC, but I have ZERO confidence that the government sees it that way - their actions (or lack thereof) indicate they are perfectly fine maintaining the status quo (which is to say watching cases rise exponentially ever single day).  They seem committed to do nothing.  It's infuriating to myself, and I'm sure others as well who see opportunities for those in charge to take pro-active measures instead of simply publishing transmission and death rates on a daily basis. 

It's like watching a car wreck from a distance knowing what's going to happen but being absolutely powerless to do anything about it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Because she's proven that she hasn't adapted well to dealing with this pandemic, largely due to her early insistence of masking being of little to no use and unwillingness to accept and enact the findings coming out of Asia in terms of effective response mechanisms. As for her paper, even a half-cooked half-baked researcher knows that when you do a review of literature, it's very easy to cherry-pick the sources that fits the narrative you wish to present, often leading to confirmation bias.  First off, this pandemic has demostrated that the conclusions she arrived at for her paper are proving to be wrong for addressing this pandemic, and second of all, she shouldn't be putting reliance on a literature review on impacts on influenza spread to guide her response to a novel coronavirus that clearly has had characteristics that don't fit the same mould.

I don't buy the "calm is good" bs.  Give us the straight goods, and deal with the situation at hand quickly and effectively instead of pussy-footing the whole issue for fear of public backlash.  To use a kos analogy, you don't calmly tell the students in a burning school to "be calm be kind be safe" but take little effective action - and then tell them an hour later as the flames are finally licking up the walls of the classroom to exit it; you assess the situation and quickly and orderly evacuate, maybe even leading the neighbouring classrooms for their evacuation as well.

We must be watching different press conferences, I've never seen her suggest masks are of little use. We're also not Asia, we don't have the level of social compliance they have, unfortunately in this case. Its not as simple as grabbing one idea from some part of the world and doing it here. Look at the valley, do you really think the people ignoring common sense there care what happens in South Korea?

Its also a 2011 paper based on the SARS experience. I'm sure in a couple of years there will be one comparing covid-19 and that one.

IMO she's done her job, we all know what to do. Its not rocket surgery. 

I do see major failings by the Min of Ed and Dix but thats not under her control. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

You missed her earlier ones.  She was against masking as a layer of protection up until the summer, when she finally reluctantly agreed that it might protect others.

Even as recently as this week, she's indicated that the current spread isn't something that masking will address.  I think she's too myopic in that regard - she's still looking at it as a singular protection mechanism, as opposed to an important additional layer, along with other measures.

thats not accurate. Masking is at the bottom of the main list of mitigations, that doesn't mean its not important, just that if you are at the point of needing to wear a mask you're exposure risk is already higher. People are reading that as masks not being important but thats not correct, its better to keep yourself out of harms way in the 1st place. 

Masks can't solve it all, I'm glad she's not suggesting that. 

What bugs me in this is our gov't is happy to let Henry take the public hit for their responsibilities. She's not the education minister or the health minister. She's not the premier. But those folks trot her out and let her do most of the talking for things she's not actually responsible for. Yes Henry can suggest and approve plans, but its the ministers that set the policies for how schools operate, e.g. 

Contrast that with Doug Ford (who I dislike for other reasons) - he's front and centre every day. Where the hell is Horgan most of the time? he's the guy that can bring the hammer down. 

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats not accurate. Masking is at the bottom of the main list of mitigations, that doesn't mean its not important, just that if you are at the point of needing to wear a mask you're exposure risk is already higher. People are reading that as masks not being important but thats not correct, its better to keep yourself out of harms way in the 1st place. 

Masks can't solve it all, I'm glad she's not suggesting that. 

What bugs me in this is our gov't is happy to let Henry take the public hit for their responsibilities. She's not the education minister or the health minister. She's not the premier. But those folks trot her out and let her do most of the talking for things she's not actually responsible for. Yes Henry can suggest and approve plans, but its the ministers that set the policies for how schools operate, e.g. 

Contrast that with Doug Ford (who I dislike for other reasons) - he's front and centre every day. Where the hell is Horgan most of the time? he's the guy that can bring the hammer down. 

I agree with throwing her out there in the line of fire...absolutely.

I still really like her, I just know that the spiel has grown old and people are tuning it out.  Initially, when the fear level was at its highest and people didn't know anything about COVID or what to do, we listened to her intently.  But as the months have dragged on we've got the information we need and her briefings don't hold much value beyond presenting the numbers.  It's become rhetoric (but that's not really her fault and consistency is important).

I do think she has the ability to make decisions AS the consultant leading the charge.  At least as part of a group....but I feel she/they are reluctant to do so because of pushback.  But you have to make tough decisions at times and can't please all the people...those things go hand in hand WITH being a good leader.

If people aren't buying in to the "suggestions" being made, you address that.  You don't keep "hoping" they will.  But I think we're going to get an update today that will see some of that happening.

I'm not "anti" Dr. Henry...I thank our lucky stars we have her in place doing what she does.  I, like others, are mostly frustrated and venting and "waiting" for her and others to up the ante in this deal before it's a huge, catastrophic deal.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I agree with throwing her out there in the line of fire...absolutely.

I still really like her, I just know that the spiel has grown old and people are tuning it out.  Initially, when the fear level was at its highest and people didn't know anything about COVID or what to do, we listened to her intently.  But as the months have dragged on we've got the information we need and her briefings don't hold much value beyond presenting the numbers.  It's become rhetoric (but that's not really her fault and consistency is important).

I do think she has the ability to make decisions AS the consultant leading the charge.  At least as part of a group....but I feel she/they are reluctant to do so because of pushback.  But you have to make tough decisions at times and can't please all the people...those things go hand in hand WITH being a good leader.

If people aren't buying in to the "suggestions" being made, you address that.  You don't keep "hoping" they will.  But I think we're going to get an update today that will see some of that happening.

I'm not "anti" Dr. Henry...I thank our lucky stars we have her in place doing what she does.  I, like others, are mostly frustrated and venting and "waiting" for her and others to up the ante in this deal before it's a huge, catastrophic deal.

People are tuning her out. I think thats why you're seeing more of her deputy out in the media now. 

But this is where Horgan needs to step it up with daily briefings and tougher action like Ford is doing. IMO there is no excuse for him not to be front and centre every day on this right now. All he did yesterday is try to shift blame to the fed's :picard: 

We need good leadership from multiple levels. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do see major failings by the Min of Ed and Dix but thats not under her control

I don't know if I'd agree with this statement Jimmy. 

In a state of provincial emergency - which some people forget we are actually still under until next week - the province is granted 'extraordinary powers' to support the COVID pandemic response.  In this state of emergency, the Premier and his staff have an obligation to seek advice from the province's highest medical officer in charge of the safety of the citizens of British Columbia.  It would be absolutely criminally negligent of Minister Flemming and/or Dix not to take under advisement the direct recommendations of Dr. B and then act accordingly upon them.  So, in a way, Dr. B is running the show in BC during the Pandemic in my view.  If she makes a recommendation - basically the ministers should be executing them. The fact that we don't see any further measures being taken in BC - imo - means that Dr. B has not given orders to do so. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't know if I'd agree with this statement Jimmy. 

In a state of provincial emergency - which some people forget we are actually still under until next week - the province is granted 'extraordinary powers' to support the COVID pandemic response.  In this state of emergency, the Premier and his staff have an obligation to seek advice from the province's highest medical officer in charge of the safety of the citizens of British Columbia.  It would be absolutely criminally negligent of Minister Flemming and/or Dix not to take under advisement the direct recommendations of Dr. B and then act accordingly upon them.  So, in a way, Dr. B is running the show in BC during the Pandemic in my view.  If she makes a recommendation - basically the ministers should be executing them. The fact that we don't see any further measures being taken in BC - imo - means that Dr. B has not given orders to do so. 

what you're talking about is a collaborative process though, its clearly not all up to her it takes all of them working together and she doesn't have the same power the premiers office does to enforce compliance. People are clearly tuning Henry out, which isn't a surprise at this point. Who's filling that vacuum? no one. 

Horgan ran the election on the premise that he needed a clear mandate to deal with covid. We're coming up on a month since he won - whats he done since then that needed the new mandate? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what you're talking about is a collaborative process though, its clearly not all up to her it takes all of them working together and she doesn't have the same power the premiers office does to enforce compliance. People are clearly tuning Henry out, which isn't a surprise at this point. Who's filling that vacuum? no one. 

Horgan ran the election on the premise that he needed a clear mandate to deal with covid. We're coming up on a month since he won - whats he done since then that needed the new mandate? 

Actually no Jimmy, that's not what I'm talking about.

In fact, I'm referring to the opposite of collaboration - the provincial state of emergency declaration allows the PHO 'extraordinary powers' to supersede existing legislation which means she does not have to 'collaborate' with others.  She may choose to, but she is not required to.  So we can assume, in this case, that she has either not given any orders, or sadly, succumbed to the political pressures of other senior officials and has compromised her duty to the citizens of BC in order to appease the NDP ministers and premier.  Either way, I think people don't quite fully comprehend the powers that the state of emergency grants the PHO and the fact the government has done little to nothing to amp up measures does in fact rest on her shoulders sadly, whether people have tuned her out or not - the buck stops with her. 

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Actually no Jimmy, that's not what I'm talking about.

In fact, I'm referring to the opposite of collaboration - the provincial state of emergency declaration allows the PHO 'extraordinary powers' to supersede existing legislation which means she does not have to 'collaborate' with others.  She may choose to, but she is not required to.  So we can assume, in this case, that she has either not given any orders, or sadly, succumbed to the political pressures of other senior officials and has compromised her duty to the citizens of BC in order to appease the NDP ministers and premier.  Either way, I think people don't quite fully comprehend the powers that the state of emergency grants the PHO and the fact the government has done little to nothing to amp up measures does in fact rest on her shoulders sadly, whether people have tuned her out or not - the buck stops with her. 

The declaration means Henry can now authorize health-care personnel to do their work anywhere in the province. Usually, health-care professionals only work within the regional health authority in which they are hired.

"This declaration of an emergency enables me to be faster, more streamlined and nimble in the things we need to do," Henry said during a news conference Tuesday.

The legislation also gives B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix the power to amend regulations without the consent of the cabinet. Dix can also make changes to the Public Health Act without the legislature's consent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/public-health-emergency-bc-explained-1.5501414

51 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The declaration means Henry can now authorize health-care personnel to do their work anywhere in the province. Usually, health-care professionals only work within the regional health authority in which they are hired.

"This declaration of an emergency enables me to be faster, more streamlined and nimble in the things we need to do," Henry said during a news conference Tuesday.

The legislation also gives B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix the power to amend regulations without the consent of the cabinet. Dix can also make changes to the Public Health Act without the legislature's consent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/public-health-emergency-bc-explained-1.5501414

The powers under the state of emergency for the PHO and other health authorities are very wide:

https://www.mccarthy.ca/en/insights/articles/covid-19-can-they-do-part-iii-british-columbias-emergency-program-act-and-public-health-act

Not the least of which include:

The PHA introduced important changes to the emergency powers under the former Health Act. It enhanced the powers of public health officials to take immediate action in the event of a public health emergency, so that those officials would have the authority to take necessary action to protect public health. Among other legislative reforms, the PHA:

• modernized the powers of public health officials to respond to a public health emergency (g., powers to conduct inspections, issue orders, and impose quarantine and isolation measures);
  • introduced powers to order groups of people to take prevention measures to control a health hazard and to regulate operations, activities, or conditions that could pose a health hazard; and
  • modernized the legislation’s enforcement, sentencing, and penalty provisions.

•  

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

People are tuning her out. I think thats why you're seeing more of her deputy out in the media now. 

But this is where Horgan needs to step it up with daily briefings and tougher action like Ford is doing. IMO there is no excuse for him not to be front and centre every day on this right now. All he did yesterday is try to shift blame to the fed's :picard: 

We need good leadership from multiple levels. 

I actually prefer him letting the experts talk.  It's a different style of leadership but I find it effective.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, BPA said:

Probably going to be a sick day for all teachers on Dec 1st.

#SickOutBC

Having BC workers go into high risk covid environments with zero PPE was really a terrible decision by Horgan / Fleming  / Dr. B.

Dr B lost all credibility 3-4 months ago...   Tuned out her nagging months ago... when she refused to take covid seriously...

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1