The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

First presumptive case of coronavirus confirmed in B.C.

Health officials have confirmed the first presumptive case of coronavirus in B.C.

Provincial health officer Bonnie Henry said the case involves a man in his 40s who lives in the Vancouver Coast Health region. The man recently travelled to Wuhan, China.

Henry said the man is in isolation at his home.

The update comes as China is reporting 25 more deaths from the viral disease, bringing the death toll to at least 106. It includes the first death in Beijing.

Meanwhile, the wife of the first confirmed patient in Canada is isolated in her home as she awaits final confirmation of her own case.

Officials, including the federal health minister, say the risk associated with coronavirus is low.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6473048/bc-coronavirus-update-tuesday-jan-28/

Some more info from a separate story on the Vancouver case ..........

B.C. reports first coronavirus in Vancouver region

First patient visited Wuhan, China, reported symptoms

B.C. has recorded its first case of novel coronavirus from China, B.C. Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry says.

The patient, a man in his 40s who regularly visits China, is “doing well in isolation at home,” Henry told a news conference at the B.C. Centre for Disease Control in Vancouver Tuesday.

B.C.’s first patient visited Wuhan, the Chinese city where the new virus was first identified, and reported symptoms after he returned to his home in the Vancouver Coastal Health Region.

The man was aware of the risk and “self-isolated” after his return, Henry said. “This person was not symptomatic on his flight, and there is no risk” to other people, she said.

Canada’s Foreign Minister Francois-Phillippe Champagne said Tuesday the federal government is in contact with Chinese authorities and is part of an international effort to control the spread of the new respiratory virus.

Health officials say the world-wide sharing of information and speed of diagnostic tests has improved greatly since the 2003 outbreak of another new viral strain, called severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

In February 2003, the Chinese government notified the World Health Organization of 305 cases of SARS, with five deaths and 105 health-care workers infected. In the early stages, China provided information to WHO only on Guangdong province, where the virus was believed to have originated, and discouraged news reports of other infection sites in the country.

SARS spread to Hong Kong and from there to Toronto, from people who came into contact with each other at the same Hong Kong hotel. More than 400 Canadians were eventually diagnosed with SARS and 44 died in an epidemic that killed 800 people world-wide.

Anyone know if this person was in any of the ER's? If so which one?

I ask cause I was in the ER 11 days ago(for a sprained ankle)

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, AppleJack said:

Anyone know if this person was in any of the ER's? If so which one?

I ask cause I was in the ER 11 days ago(for a sprained ankle)

Seems like it is so mild the person doesn't even need to be in the hospital.  He called ahead to a clinic to be assessed.  Doesn't sound like he just walked up to the ER.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5442971

Overall, the virus seems more infectious than SARS but less deadly.  People may have very mild disease and not aware they have it. 

It doesn't fly in the air and stay there.  It will settled to the ground or a surface. 

Practice good public hygiene, wash hands often, use hand sanitizer, avoid touching your face. Wearing a mask may not filter everything, but it avoids you touching your face and that is good. 

We should encourage people to get tested and contain it whenever there is a case. Stigmatization will make things worse.  Last thing you want is people trying to hide it until it is too late. 

It is expected it will spread, like any other virus. The difference is people are more vigilant and ask to be tested and there is a test. That's how you get flu, cold, all the time, every yr. 

SARS eventually disappeared because it ran out of host, either through contact precautions, death or naturally immunity/recovery.  This one will also subside eventually.  It is an emergency in China.  But WHO hasnt announce it to be global emergency yet. 

I left Vancouver 2 nights ago on a Cathy Pacific flight, and I wiped down every surface on the seats and wore a mask.  Every flight attendant wore a mask too. 

I am flying back next weekend for the Sedins game. Ain't no virus keeping me away!  

IMG_20200126_221546.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Seems like it is so mild the person doesn't even need to be in the hospital.  He called ahead to a clinic to be assessed.  Doesn't sound like he just walked up to the ER.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5442971

Overall, the virus seems more infectious than SARS but less deadly.  People may have very mild disease and not aware they have it. 

It doesn't fly in the air and stay there.  It will settled to the ground or a surface. 

Practice good public hygiene, wash hands often, use hand sanitizer, avoid touching your face. Wearing a mask may not filter everything, but it avoids you touching your face and that is good. 

We should encourage people to get tested and contain it whenever there is a case. Stigmatization will make things worse.  Last thing you want is people trying to hide it until it is too late. 

It is expected it will spread, like any other virus. The difference is people are more vigilant and ask to be tested and there is a test. That's how you get flu, cold, all the time, every yr. 

SARS eventually disappeared because it ran out of host, either through contact precautions, death or naturally immunity/recovery.  This one will also subside eventually.  It is an emergency in China.  But WHO hasnt announce it to be global emergency yet. 

I left Vancouver 2 nights ago on a Cathy Pacific flight, and I wiped down every surface on the seats and wore a mask.  Every flight attendant wore a mask too. 

I am flying back next weekend for the Sedins game. Ain't no virus keeping me away!  

IMG_20200126_221546.jpg

lol your going to get 20000 people sick

• Haha 1

China's Hubei province has reported another 840 new confirmed coronavirus cases

Tue 28 Jan 2020 22:28:50 GMT

And another 25 deaths. China's CCTV with the info. 

Getting the ball rolling on the coronavirus news out of China for Wednesday 29 January 2020 

News out of Hubei, where Wuhan has been the epicentre of the outbreak. 
  • new 840 cases as of end January 28
Down from more than 1400 new cases the day before.

Death toll in total is now 131 (that'll likely be higher as further reports come in today).

5571 total cases
131 deaths
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Getting the ball rolling on the coronavirus news out of China for Wednesday 29 January 2020 

Death toll in total is now 131 (that'll likely be higher as further reports come in today).

5571 total cases
131 deaths

Considering the Chinese government is the source, shouldn’t we multiply by 10 to get the truthful numbers? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

5571 total cases
131 deaths

Interesting to see a drop in cases... hope that is a sign of better things to come!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Interesting to see a drop in cases... hope that is a sign of better things to come!

You'd think so but Hubei province had held back reporting some cases and did a big dump of cases to catch up yesterday. Mayor of Wuhan said on the weekend there was probably another 1000 or so to be reported. That was what spiked it yesterday.

• Cheers 1

Coronavirus - The White House reportedly tells airlines it may suspend US-China flights

Tue 28 Jan 2020 23:04:30 GMT

Reports in US media - unconfirmed as yet. 

The reports coming from CNBC. 

Would be a massive move if true and they do it.

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Coronavirus - The White House reportedly tells airlines it may suspend US-China flights

Tue 28 Jan 2020 23:04:30 GMT

Reports in US media - unconfirmed as yet. 

The reports coming from CNBC. 

Would be a massive move if true and they do it.

Canada should be next, this thing could get scary quick. 

• Like 1

Coronavirus - More on the potential for the US to halt flights inbound from China. Not happening.

Tue 28 Jan 2020 23:50:15 GMT

Reuters citing unnamed sources for more info on this earlier:

Via Reuters now, citing 'sources':
  • White House monitoring China-US flights amid coronavirus outbreak, but decided Tuesday against suspending air traffic 
  • White House holding daily meetings on coronavirus and could revisit idea of suspending US-China flights 
  •  

Yeah, like I said in the first post on this (with the rumour) I reckon there would be nothing faster in the universe than Trump tweeting this if it was decided. So yeah, until we hear from Mr. T …. nope. 

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/coronavirus-more-on-the-potential-for-the-us-to-halt-flights-inbound-from-china-20200128

3 more cases in Germany reported today.

Edited by nuckin_futz

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Why are people in Vancouver wearing water jugs over tbeir heads. Please tell your uncle aunt brother mother father etc..... stop looking ridiculous.. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/traveling-containers-heads-yvr-photos-2054517

How do you know there wasn't a "Coneheads" convention in town?  Really funny skit back in the classic SNL days....

:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Coronavirus - More on the potential for the US to halt flights inbound from China. Not happening.

Tue 28 Jan 2020 23:50:15 GMT

Reuters citing unnamed sources for more info on this earlier:

Via Reuters now, citing 'sources':
  • White House monitoring China-US flights amid coronavirus outbreak, but decided Tuesday against suspending air traffic 
  • White House holding daily meetings on coronavirus and could revisit idea of suspending US-China flights 
  •  

Yeah, like I said in the first post on this (with the rumour) I reckon there would be nothing faster in the universe than Trump tweeting this if it was decided. So yeah, until we hear from Mr. T …. nope. 

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/coronavirus-more-on-the-potential-for-the-us-to-halt-flights-inbound-from-china-20200128

3 more cases in Germany reported today.

Publicly anouncing it serves no purpose. Only causes panic in the populace. 

I bet flights coming into US are already very limited.