The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

New variant is probably all over the Island...and the rest of BC

Island health has confirmed a case on the Island from a guy that came home from London Dec 15. 

Edit:

Just read a bit more, he landed on the 15th with no symptoms, got tested and confirmed on the 19th while in Isolation. but they don't know how he travelled to Van Island from YVR. 

https://vancouversun.com/news/first-mutant-covid-19-case-reported-in-b-c-after-flight-from-u-k-to-vancouver

Edited by bishopshodan

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

New variant is probably all over the Island...and the rest of BC

Island health has confirmed a case on the Island from a guy that came home from London Dec 15. 

Edit:

Just read a bit more, he landed on the 15th with no symptoms, got tested and confirmed on the 19th while in Isolation. but they don't know how he travelled to Van Island from YVR. 

https://vancouversun.com/news/first-mutant-covid-19-case-reported-in-b-c-after-flight-from-u-k-to-vancouver

I'd say a ferry from Tsswassen, but was it to Naniamo, Victoria or the gulf islands?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'd say a ferry from Tsswassen, but was it to Naniamo, Victoria or the gulf islands?

Yeah, they don't ask the question of how he got to the island from the airport in the link I posted but they were mentioning not knowing on Global news earlier.

They must be trying to find out as to contact trace. However the flight was 2 weeks ago now. That's a bit concerning but it's good that this person was responsible and isolated. 

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, they don't ask the question of how he got to the island from the airport in the link I posted but they were mentioning not knowing on Global news earlier.

They must be trying to find out as to contact trace. However the flight was 2 weeks ago now. That's a bit concerning but it's good that this person was responsible and isolated. 

My best friend works out of Swartz Bay, going to Vancouver. 

The crew have been concerned for months as YVR is only a few minutes drive away.

• Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

My best friend works out of Swartz Bay, going to Vancouver. 

The crew have been concerned for months as YVR is only a few minutes drive away.

I bet they have been.

You have to isolate at home when you return from out of the country. If getting home includes a ferry ride, it makes me even more disappointed at the mandatory rule to leave your vehicle. I mean, he could have been a walk-on so it wouldn't matter but that transport Canada 'get out of your car' stuff still grinds my gears

Edit:

So a question about this first new variant case..

He wasn't showing symptoms on the 15th...but tested positive on the 19th? why did they give him a test? 

Are they randomly testing travellers or did he have any reason for concern despite not showing symptoms? 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Is it feasible at this point to form an anti-covidiot militia (Perhaps the "Maskhole Marauders", @debluvscanucks?) to go around poking people with 6-foot-long sticks?

If people really insist on having massive Christmas dinners and New Years Eve parties, they should face jail time and/or public spraying with a hose. Enough is enough.

Papa Trudeau and Uncle Horgan need to start issuing even sterner slaps on the wrist or this "light at the end of the tunnel" is gonna be.. well.. it's gonna be a really long and dark tunnel. Or something.

Very confusing..

18 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

Is it feasible at this point to form an anti-covidiot militia (Perhaps the "Maskhole Marauders", @debluvscanucks?) to go around poking people with 6-foot-long sticks?

If people really insist on having massive Christmas dinners and New Years Eve parties, they should face jail time and/or public spraying with a hose. Enough is enough.

Papa Trudeau and Uncle Horgan need to start issuing even sterner slaps on the wrist or this "light at the end of the tunnel" is gonna be.. well.. it's gonna be a really long and dark tunnel. Or something.

Very confusing..

Yes, I am in full support of this.

Hockey sticks work well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, they're saying now that up to 50% of the new cases confirmed in England are this new variant. 

Like wild fire.

One of our teachers is visiting the UK over Christmas....wonder if she'll be allowed back?   

• Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, they're saying now that up to 50% of the new cases confirmed in England are this new variant. 

Like wild fire.

Scary news, to be so prevelent in such a short time.

Time to hibernate for a couple of months.

Tommorrow I'll re stock my house and supplies.

Could be the next time I leave the house, after that,  will be to get the vaccinne.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

One of our teachers is visiting the UK over Christmas....wonder if she'll be allowed back?   

They need to tweak the obvious. As you and others have said, stop non-essential travel...and perhaps a few other things...cough, cough, schools. 

This new variant so far doesn't seem to be any deadlier. I contest that the fact that it spreads faster makes it more deadlier based on that faster transmission. We are victims of the lowest common denominator, we're all in this together. 

I think it is short sighted to dismiss this faster threat. What if the next variant is more harmful? what if the next variant spreads easier from animals to humans like those poor Minks?

Time to choke this virus out, for good, no tapping. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

I went for a walk with my daughter and there was 3 mask-less people for every person wearing a mask; Even with a faster spreading variant in BC. And we're supposed to be polite to these scumbags even though they encroach on our space intentionally while smirking. I feel like jumping up and kneeing one of these slime right in the face. If they intentionally cough at me I might; I will claim self defense.

I should add that I'm not advocating for violent reactions to people. I was merely over emoting while still aggravated from people too close and one giving the old mini cough with a smirk.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

no BC update today?

Update:  The British bubonic plague is here. Wear a mask everywhere, social distance, everywhere, wash your hand, all the time when you go out and come back home, and don’t go out unnecessarily and mix with people. 

There, I’ve covered everything. :)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I went for a walk with my daughter and there was 3 mask-less people for every person wearing a mask; Even with a faster spreading variant in BC. And we're supposed to be polite to these scumbags even though they encroach on our space intentionally while smirking. I feel like jumping up and kneeing one of these slime right in the face. If they intentionally cough at me I might; I will claim self defense.

Were you outside or indoors?  TBH, I rarely wear a mask outside as it usually means I can't see anything as my glasses are fogged up and as I understand the guidelines, outdoors it's unlikely that the virus will spread unless people are close together for extended periods, passing someone on a sidewalk isn't going to lead to infection.  

Am I wrong in that?  Maybe with the new variant I need to change my approach, I'll just take the glasses off and manage that way.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

This guy is an elected MPP in Ontario.

This guy is an idiot

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/mpp-randy-hillier-posts-a-photo-of-15-people-in-one-room-celebrating-christmas/ar-BB1citNb?ocid=msedgntp

"

Independent MPP Randy Hillier appears to be at it again – defying provincial COVID-19 guidelines.

a group of people sitting at a table with wine glasses: A photo posted by Independent MPP Randy Hillier on his social media feeds.© Courtesy: Randy Hillier A photo posted by Independent MPP Randy Hillier on his social media feeds.

Hillier, whose represents the riding of Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington, posted a picture of a Christmas gathering on his social media feeds.

The behavior in the post appears to be in defiance of the province's recent lockdown and enforced public health protocols.

According to Hillier, the photo was taken on Sunday and showed 15 people around a table, celebrating a holiday meal.

A gathering of that size is in direct violation of lockdown guidelines set out by the Ford government.

The number of people allowed to gather indoors is restricted to "only" members of a family living in the same household.

"The lies and deceptions of COVID are over. How and why so many allowed themselves to be deceived will take years to uncover. But I and many other Canadians will not accept the deception any longer. We are free and will defend our freedom," wrote Hillier on Twitter.

The public was quick to react to Hillier's posts on social media.

"It's over? Dozens are dying daily," wrote one person.

Another called for Hillier to resign.

Read more: MPP Randy Hillier charged after hosting anti-COVID-19 lockdown rally

Many are supporting Hillier on Facebook, however. At this point, it is unclear if charges will be laid.

Hillier did not immediately respond to Global News' request for comment.

18 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Update:  The British bubonic plague is here. Wear a mask everywhere, social distance, everywhere, wash your hand, all the time when you go out and come back home, and don’t go out unnecessarily and mix with people. 

There, I’ve covered everything. :)

Associate Director of medical security: Dr. Sharpshooter.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

This guy is an elected MPP in Ontario.

This guy is an idiot

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/mpp-randy-hillier-posts-a-photo-of-15-people-in-one-room-celebrating-christmas/ar-BB1citNb?ocid=msedgntp

"

Independent MPP Randy Hillier appears to be at it again – defying provincial COVID-19 guidelines.

a group of people sitting at a table with wine glasses: A photo posted by Independent MPP Randy Hillier on his social media feeds.© Courtesy: Randy Hillier A photo posted by Independent MPP Randy Hillier on his social media feeds.

Hillier, whose represents the riding of Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington, posted a picture of a Christmas gathering on his social media feeds.

The behavior in the post appears to be in defiance of the province's recent lockdown and enforced public health protocols.

According to Hillier, the photo was taken on Sunday and showed 15 people around a table, celebrating a holiday meal.

A gathering of that size is in direct violation of lockdown guidelines set out by the Ford government.

The number of people allowed to gather indoors is restricted to "only" members of a family living in the same household.

"The lies and deceptions of COVID are over. How and why so many allowed themselves to be deceived will take years to uncover. But I and many other Canadians will not accept the deception any longer. We are free and will defend our freedom," wrote Hillier on Twitter.

The public was quick to react to Hillier's posts on social media.

"It's over? Dozens are dying daily," wrote one person.

Another called for Hillier to resign.

Read more: MPP Randy Hillier charged after hosting anti-COVID-19 lockdown rally

Many are supporting Hillier on Facebook, however. At this point, it is unclear if charges will be laid.

Hillier did not immediately respond to Global News' request for comment.

:picard:

Best charge could be stripped of his title and seat, and forbidden to run in local/provincial/federal politics. 

Get rid of the lunatics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2