The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

So,

This article is from the 24th with a video from the 21st. A Q&A with the Dr and Dix.

First question: Have we seen any examples of the new coronavirus strain found in the U.K. here in British Columbia?

Henry: The short answer is no...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7538162/questions-and-answers-dr-bonnie-henry-adrian-dix/

Didn't we find out about the new variant case on the 19th? or I guess it must take a bit to identify this strain once the person is confirmed? Maybe Bonnie didn't have this info 2 days later...

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

This guy is an elected MPP in Ontario.

This guy is an idiot

It's so sad.

My bro referenced this guy a few weeks ago...'but he's an MPP' he said in one of our chats ...thinks something else is going on regarding covid.  

My brother probably increases the local tinfoil sales. 

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

So,

This article is from the 24th with a video from the 21st. A Q&A with the Dr and Dix.

First question: Have we seen any examples of the new coronavirus strain found in the U.K. here in British Columbia?

Henry: The short answer is no...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7538162/questions-and-answers-dr-bonnie-henry-adrian-dix/

Didn't we find out about the new variant case on the 19th? or I guess it must take a bit to identify this strain once the person is confirmed? Maybe Bonnie didn't have this info 2 days later...

He was tested on the 19th, but then it took time to do the genome sequencing to determine what strain of COVID it was.  That's why it wasn't announced until this week.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

Were you outside or indoors?  TBH, I rarely wear a mask outside as it usually means I can't see anything as my glasses are fogged up and as I understand the guidelines, outdoors it's unlikely that the virus will spread unless people are close together for extended periods, passing someone on a sidewalk isn't going to lead to infection.  

Am I wrong in that?  Maybe with the new variant I need to change my approach, I'll just take the glasses off and manage that way.  

I assume ‘out’ for a walk. 

I don’t wear a mask when I’m out for a walk/run either. 

Getting pissed off at people outdoors is a bit much. 

The airborne virus is dissipated quickly outdoors. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm glad I live in Canada.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-coronavirus-wuhan-citizen-journalist-zhang-zhan-sentenced-wuhan/

Beijing — Zhang Zhan, a 37-year-old former lawyer and citizen journalist in China, was sentenced to four years in prison in Shanghai on Monday for her reporting on the coronavirus outbreak in the central Chinese city of Wuhan early this year. She didn't immediately say if she would appeal the sentence, her lawyer, Zhang Keke, told CBS News.

During the start of the coronavirus pandemic, Zhang Zhan's live reports and essays were widely shared on social media, grabbing the attention of authorities. She was fiercely critical of the government for its virus containment measures and eagerly sought answers to the silencing of whistleblowers and other citizen journalists.

Zhang was arrested in May and was officially convicted for "picking quarrels and provoking trouble," a vague charge often brought against activists and critics of the government in China.  

Zhang's trial on Monday lasted less than three hours. She was sentenced to four years in prison. 

Could be worse.  Could in a country where whistleblowers have a habit of falling out of windows for ‘mysterious reasons’.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, skategal said:

Were you outside or indoors?  TBH, I rarely wear a mask outside as it usually means I can't see anything as my glasses are fogged up and as I understand the guidelines, outdoors it's unlikely that the virus will spread unless people are close together for extended periods, passing someone on a sidewalk isn't going to lead to infection.  

Am I wrong in that?  Maybe with the new variant I need to change my approach, I'll just take the glasses off and manage that way.  

A bit of both but in a high pedestrian traffic area. My daughters glasses fog up as well but she still wears her mask. I was specifically talking about a certain segment who for some reason intentionally veer close to others with a big grin or smirk on their faces.

When it gets cold, you can see the particles drifting before dissipating. The closer you are to someone the higher the chance of breathing some in. The new variants bind to the lungs more readily. It's not a guarantee that you don't accidentally infect someone just because you happen to be outside. Giving people space shouldn't be that big of an ask.

Thank you for not making an assumption just to pretend to be morally superior.

59 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

A bit of both but in a high pedestrian traffic area. My daughters glasses fog up as well but she still wears her mask. I was specifically talking about a certain segment who for some reason intentionally veer close to others with a big grin or smirk on their faces.

When it gets cold, you can see the particles drifting before dissipating. The closer you are to someone the higher the chance of breathing some in. The new variants bind to the lungs more readily. It's not a guarantee that you don't accidentally infect someone just because you happen to be outside. Giving people space shouldn't be that big of an ask.

Thank you for not making an assumption just to pretend to be morally superior.

On Saturday, I went for a walk at Deer Lake.  It wasn't too busy but the paths are sometimes narrow.  There's also a mix of Joggers and Walkers.  Some of the Joggers don't really care how close they get and when they pass you, they move right in front and you are left with breathing in their vapor trail.  There was one guy who couldn't give a rats you know what and basically breathed right in an old guy's face while passing him on the path without warning.  I wear my mask now even walking outside.  Keeps my face warm. 

Even today, over a month after the mandatory order to wear masks in indoor public places, a young guy was waiting for one of our elevators with no mask and no intention of putting one on.  I held up my hand and shook my head when he tried to get in.

• Upvote 1

.... I'm a little flabbergasted right now.

I live and work in a little sleepy community over on the SSC and I'd say 75% of the customers coming into our now take-out only restaurant were NOT locals. 

I mean it's nice to be busy but I thought... y'know...stay home and all that?  I had to cancel my family holiday travel plans.... Others don't have to?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, JustRich said:

I live and work in a little sleepy community over on the SSC and I'd say 75% of the customers coming into our now take-out only restaurant were NOT locals. 

I mean it's nice to be busy but I thought... y'know...stay home and all that?  I had to cancel my family holiday travel plans.... Others don't have to?

Albertan winter migration in full swing. 

• Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, JustRich said:

The yokels from Albertastan don’t care.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, ImConfused said:

Wonder what percentage of the population out there are anti-vax?

My sister told me yesterday she wasn't planning on getting the vaxx.

Mind = blown.

I politely called her an idiot and told her to get on the internet because she couldn't grasp the concept. Her argument is she doesn't usually get sick or get the flu shot. Apparently she doesn't know what asymptomatic is or realize she has nieces, nephews, a daughter, and parents. I had to ask if she realizes we're in a pandemic. I had to end the conversation because I would have lost it.

Did not see that coming ... I generally come from a smart family. :(

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

My sister told me yesterday she wasn't planning on getting the vaxx.

Mind = blown.

I politely called her an idiot and told her to get on the internet because she couldn't grasp the concept. Her argument is she doesn't usually get sick or get the flu shot. Apparently she doesn't know what asymptomatic is or realize she has nieces, nephews, a daughter, and parents. I had to ask if she realizes we're in a pandemic. I had to end the conversation because I would have lost it.

Did not see that coming ... I generally come from a smart family. :(

Ah yes, the militant morally outraged...

Yeah, call your sister an idiot. Ask her condescending questions and be rude to her as well. You're definitely gonna win the hearts and minds of others like that.

• Wat 3

3 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Yeah, call your sister an idiot. Ask her condescending questions and be rude to her as well. You're definitely gonna win the hearts and minds of others like that.

I said I was polite about it and ended the call before it got confrontational. I never used the word idiot, or acted militant. I only asked one question.Try reading before spouting off.

I don't get morally outraged. I'm just appalled at the blatant ignorance and tried to show what problems we may face moving forward if even decent and educated people are missing key points about vaccination. I thought it was only fools and weird conspiracy people who thought this way, but here it is in my own backyard. 

I don't know why I bother with this site sometimes. What a goof.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

It's past the stage of being kind / trying to inform / educate her and all the others not following the rules / not doing what's right. They DO NOT care about kindness or about info / education (facts)...they think what they think and they do what they do...selfish and entitled and ignorant...for 10-11 months now. They're not going to all of a sudden listen /change. I'm like the original poster...these people are going to get honesty (sometimes blunt) from me, family or not! Enough is enough!! It goes way beyond just them. These people need to get their heads out of their conspiracy a##es and see what's in front of their faces!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

It's past the stage of being kind / trying to inform / educate her and all the others not following the rules / not doing what's right. They DO NOT care about kindness or about info / education (facts)...they think what they think and they do what they do...selfish and entitled and ignorant...for 10-11 months now. They're not going to all of a sudden listen /change. I'm like the original poster...these people are going to get honesty (sometimes blunt) from me, family or not! Enough is enough!! It goes way beyond just them. These people need to get their heads out of their conspiracy a##es and see what's in front of their faces!! 

Well said. What this guy is clearly missing is I have long relationship with my sister. This is how she'll listen. Obviously the last 10 months of people trying to spread the message to average folks isn't working as well as I thought it would. I guarantee when her head clears up this morning she'll be on the web checking out what I said at the very least ...

well I sent her an article on how the vaccine works and how it doesn't even contain Covid at all, which seemed to be an underlying issue for her. She's smart but not at all with science.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well said. What this guy is clearly missing is I have long relationship with my sister. This is how she'll listen. Obviously the last 10 months of people trying to spread the message to average folks isn't working as well as I thought it would. I guarantee when her head clears up this morning she'll be on the web checking out what I said at the very least ...

well I sent her an article on how the vaccine works and how it doesn't even contain Covid at all, which seemed to be an underlying issue for her. She's smart but not at all with science.

Exactly! Sometimes people need some honesty (bluntness) and a does of reality, even family. It's not done with ill intent, it's done with the best interest for them / the big picture. If everyone reacted well to kindness, informing / educating, then we prob wouldn't be in this mess to this degree and we wouldn't have to take this approach. 

I hope she reevaluate's / listens to you and cooler heads prevail. 

• Cheers 1