The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'm against trophy hunting.

I'm okay with hunting to eat and clothe yourself, and if you end up with a 4 or 5 point deer and want to save the antlers fine by me; just use as much of that animal as you can.

Me too, 100%.  My family are hunters who've ONLY ever done it for....food.  Period.

• Cheers 3

Swell.

Ontario has it's first case of UK Corona.

Not long after Japan has it's first case.

You can tell, because along with the usual symptoms you also have an urge to drive on the left side of the road. And you get angry if you don't get your tea.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Swell.

Ontario has it's first case of UK Corona.

Not long after Japan has it's first case.

You can tell, because along with the usual symptoms you also have an urge to drive on the left side of the road. And you get angry if you don't get your tea.

For your comment I need a laughing crying emoji....buckle up, things might get even more interesting in early 2021.  Or, this is much ado about nothing.  Not sure.  Fitting end to a bizarre year.  

• Cheers 1

different source than above but here it is- Covid U.K variant

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ontario-confirms-two-cases-of-covid-19-variant-first-discovered-in-uk/ar-BB1cfzQg?ocid=msedgntp

Ontario on Saturday confirmed its two first cases of a variant of COVID-19 first identified in the United Kingdom, marking the first time the more contagious strain had been detected in Canada.

The province's associate chief medical officer of health said in a news release that the cases are a couple from Durham Region, just east of Toronto, with no known travel history, exposure or high-risk contacts.

"Durham Region Health Department has conducted case and contact investigation and Ontario is working in collaboration with our federal counterparts at the Public Health Agency of Canada," Dr. Barbara Yaffe said in a statement.

The new variant is believed to spread easier and faster than the original version of the disease but is not believed to be more deadly.

The provincial government said in a news release that there is no evidence to suggest that the Health Canada-approved vaccines will be any less effective against the new variant.

The variant was first identified in the United Kingdom but has since been detected in several other countries, including Denmark, Belgium, Australia and the Netherlands.

The Ontario government noted the discovery of the variant was "not unexpected" due to international travel, and repeated a call for the federal government to increase testing at airports.

"Recognizing the potential increased risk that inbound international travelers may pose with this new variant, the province continues to call on the federal government to urgently partner with Ontario to implement testing at Toronto Pearson International Airport," the news release read.

"Regardless of whether federal support is forthcoming, the Ontario government is prepared to act on its own to implement an airport testing program."

Canada previously announced a travel ban on all flights arriving from the UK until January 6, 2021 in an effort to contain the variant.

The announcement came as Ontario began a provincewide lockdown aimed at limiting the spread of COVID-19.

The province has reported more than 2,000 cases 12 days in a row, including 2,142 new positive tests on Saturday and 2,159 cases from Christmas Day.

There were also 81 additional deaths during those days, the provincial government said.

Under the new rules that came into effect on Boxing Day, restaurants in Ontario can only provide takeout, drive through and delivery, including the sale of alcohol.

Ontario has joined Manitoba and Quebec in closing non-essential retail stores for in-person shopping, while supermarkets and pharmacies must follow rules for distancing and limiting capacity.

The new rules are having an effect on Boxing Day shopping, which is forcing bargain hunters in many parts of the country to look online for deals instead of lining up and crowding into stores in person.

Other provinces have put limits on in-store capacity as officials urge Canadians to stay home and limit contacts as much as possible to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Ontario's new measures remain in effect in southern Ontario until Jan. 23, but will lift for the less-affected northern regions on Jan. 9.

In Quebec, a province-wide lockdown went into effect Friday, with businesses deemed non-essential ordered to remain closed until at least Jan. 11. The province did not publish data on the number of new infections or deaths on Friday or Saturday.

Government websites for Manitoba and Saskatchewan also indicated those provinces would not provide updates on Saturday.

Alberta reported an estimated 1,200 new cases on Dec. 24 and about 900 on Christmas Day, according to a modified update provided by the province's chief medical officer of health.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw said on Twitter that hospitalizations and intensive care numbers also increased slightly each day.

New Brunswick reported two new cases on Saturday, and said both were related to travel.

Officials also reported possible exposure sites on three recent Air Canada flights into New Brunswick.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Got the Pfizer mRNA vaccine today. Felt nothing, and no symptoms afterwards at all.  Yes, it's variable when lot of people (millions) take it. But like any drug or pharmaceutical, skin creams, cosmetics etc, there will be some that are allergic or have adverse reactions. Trials with over 20,000 volunteers don't show any severe side affects (paralysis, death, brain or spinal cord inflammation).  It is generally quite a safe vaccine. 

Unless you have prior severe allergy history, you really don't need to worry. 

Feel free to ask me anything. Or after my second dose in Jan 16. 

FYI the small scar next to the bandaid is my small pox vaccine, which is no longer needed today because vaccinations eradicated the virus from human population by 1980.

IMG_20201226_225445.jpg

IMG_20201226_225529~2.jpg

Nice, congrats!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/25/2020 at 10:53 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Why not just call the cops on them?  If you don't want them knowing it was you, then call in a "shots fired" to get the cops in the area, and then "accidentally on-purpose" draw attention to the mass gathering next door.

I know it's a dick move, but they started it first with their provincially-banned social gathering.

If you called in shots fired and got the cops possibly pulled off other stuff that they may be doing because of a gathering then I sure the hell hope you get caught and charged for wasting the cops time and tax payers dollars with fake calls.  If you want to report the neighbors, report them but don't fake something as serious as shots fired because that becomes a massive incident. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I believe in heaven & hell if for no other reason there *HAS* to be a place in the afterlife for despicable pieces of **** like Rubio........

The american public doesn't know what's good for them, in general.  They consistently vote against what is in the best interest of the population as a whole.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Got the Pfizer mRNA vaccine today. Felt nothing, and no symptoms afterwards at all.  Yes, it's variable when lot of people (millions) take it. But like any drug or pharmaceutical, skin creams, cosmetics etc, there will be some that are allergic or have adverse reactions. Trials with over 20,000 volunteers don't show any severe side affects (paralysis, death, brain or spinal cord inflammation).  It is generally quite a safe vaccine. 

Unless you have prior severe allergy history, you really don't need to worry. 

Feel free to ask me anything. Or after my second dose in Jan 16. 

FYI the small scar next to the bandaid is my small pox vaccine, which is no longer needed today because vaccinations eradicated the virus from human population by 1980.

IMG_20201226_225445.jpg

IMG_20201226_225529~2.jpg

The "We are all one team" is SO fitting in this situation.

Well done and be safe brother

• Cheers 1

Canada's Ontario finds two cases of virus variant first seen in UK

TORONTO (Reuters) -Health officials in Ontario said on Saturday that two confirmed cases of the new coronavirus variant first detected in the United Kingdom have appeared in the Canadian province.

Scientists say the variant is about 40%-70% more transmissible than the original strain. Several other countries, including Australia, Italy and the Netherlands say they detected cases of the new strain.

The Canadian cases, identified in a couple in southern Ontario with no known travel history, exposure or high-risk contact, came as the province went into a lockdown on Saturday.

"This further reinforces the need for Ontarians to stay home as much as possible and continue to follow all public health advice, including the province wide shutdown measures beginning today," Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Ontario's associate chief medical officer, said in a statement.

Ontario reported 4,301 new cases over the past two days on Saturday, with the province seeing more than 2,000 cases per day for 12 consecutive days.

Last week, Canada extended to Jan. 6 a ban on passenger flights arriving from Britain and expanded enhanced screening and monitoring measures to travelers arriving from South Africa, citing the rise of the more infectious variant.

Scientists say there is no evidence that vaccines currently being deployed - including one made by Pfizer and BioNtech - or other COVID-19 shots in development will not protect against this variant.

Canada began rolling out the Pfizer vaccine earlier this month and started distributing Moderna Inc's COVID-19 vaccine across the country last Thursday.

Canada has so far reported 541,616 cases of COVID-19, including 14,800 deaths.

16 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Mine didn't work out so well:

• Haha 1