The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

13 hours ago, Silent Man said:

I wonder what is the reason behind this recent spike in cases? Kids are on the break for a week now.

I always thought March/April was another mini-flu season - people usually get sick during times when seasons are in the middle of transitioning? 

In the no $h!t file, but there are still people who consider Covid to be no big deal.  The researchers compared the impact of two months of Covid hospitalizations from last year to the previous 5 years of influenza hospitalizations at the same medical centre.  The team demonstrated that COVID-19 cases resulted in significantly more weekly hospitalizations, more use of mechanical ventilation and higher mortality rates than influenza.  Yes, treatment for Covid has improved, but that comes down to a better understanding of what drugs to include in the cocktail of drugs given to Covid patients.

https://www.bidmc.org/about-bidmc/news/2021/03/covid-19-higher-burden-compared-to-flu

New research shows substantially higher burden of COVID-19 compared to flu

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Researchers figure the clotting issue may be due to a rare autoimmune response and there is a possible way to treat them.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/astrazeneca-blood-clot-risk-canada-1.5957462

Canada hesitates to update guidance on AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine amid potential link to blood clots

Reported connection between COVID-19 vaccine, rare blood clots could affect rollout

21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I have to confess that I'm a bit baffled on the Northern Health total. I got my first shot on Wednesday, because apparently Prince Rupert has a high infection rate, yet even though I've lived here in a town that has around 13,000 people for over 30 years and am heavily involved in the local sports an music scenes, I don't know a single person who has tested positive.

You never know, because you don't see what happens in other towns of comparative size, but it makes me wonder if we have a higher than normal population of street people and transients. :unsure: I do know that back in the heyday of fishing, the city would grow by 3000-5000 people every summer, as folks who live in the various First Nations close by, move to town to work in the industry.

18 hours ago, Silent Man said:

I wonder what is the reason behind this recent spike in cases? Kids are on the break for a week now.

Likely due to the highly transmissible variants?

Seems they spread like wildfire.

• Cheers 1

There was a new health order issued on March 12 - reinforcing all the conditions around group settings.  Changed how our golf leagues operate, pro shop can't organize anything for us.  All they can do is provide a block of tee times, we have to put the draw together and then manage any cancellations.  

Well, I have a mother(93) and a brother (60) and i have been trying to gently push for them to get their vaccines. I am so frustrated that finally they say they will get them, but says the doctor will phone them. I had to secretly get the neighbor to register my mom and then tell her, because they were so mad at me for trying to explain, that the doctor is not calling................I just find it unbelievable that it would take that much to get it done.

And, now I am being called a bully, by both of them...............I am so sad, and feel terrible :picard: All that because I love them.

I share this because, there are truly people out there that do not understand

UPDATE: MY MOM is getting her shot next Wednesday (Mar 30th) Thanks to her Neighbor who I got to register her. She would listen to her! Geez!

Anyways! All is well that ends as well! :) So, I said to my Mom, oh so the doctor never phoned you? No comment! :picard:

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Huggy Bear 3

3 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Would be nice to see these plotted against the same axis scale, also as a breakdown of percentage of population of province 

I provided the link of the website, and on it you can display it as per 100K instead.  The curve looks the same.  It's the trend that gives you an idea if any measures are working/being followed or not.  These are the top 3 most populous provinces.  AB is also trending up after a plateau.  Need to keep the spread in check until the vaccines can take effect.  Need at least 3-4 weeks post vaccination to be protected and longer to see population effects.   Pumping the brakes after the car wraps around the tree doesn't work.  

5 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Does anyone familiar with the vaccination know of any relationships between being getting  vaccinated and a positive or false positive covid test? 

You won't get false positive on viral tests, but could for an antibody test.  One of the discontinued vaccines from Australia, was giving false positives...…..for HIV.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I provided the link of the website, and on it you can display it as per 100K instead.  The curve looks the same.  It's the trend that gives you an idea if any measures are working/being followed or not.  These are the top 3 most populous provinces.  AB is also trending up after a plateau.  Need to keep the spread in check until the vaccines can take effect.  Need at least 3-4 weeks post vaccination to be protected and longer to see population effects.   Pumping the brakes after the car wraps around the tree doesn't work.  

It’s not just the trend, you need to factor in the R number and the population density. What works in a rural place won’t work in a city ( ie you could give a 5 mile travel radius in a remote town and it probably would have a huge impact on reducing the spread outside that community, but it may not reduce it in the community) you do the same is say the Toronto suburbs and that thing spreads like crazy. 

also need to factor in the lag between measures being introduced to being identifiable. Can take up to 7 days for symptoms to display so the earliest you will start to see any impact is on day 8, but because you are using a 7 day average it means this won’t start to be picked up really till day 15 and even then 21 days after you on,y really have a one week sample point. 

The reason I meantioned on the same axis is to put it compatible across the provinces. You will always have a higher rate in BC than say PEI. A one in 100k rise in BC is a small uptick. A 1 in 100k upswing in Nunavut looks like the end of the world. It’s always interesting to see the rate in the context of its own province but would be interesting to see a chart with all of them plotted together just to visualise it 

AZ US trial reached primary endpoints. 

Press release. Works well for elderly at 80% efficacy. 100% v severe covid.  No increase risk of blood clots. 32499 people in trial, 21583 got the vaccine. Trial was based on 4 week interval between doses. In the UK trial they did 4 wks vs 12 wks, and efficacy was higher with 12.  Will see what the final submission and data to FDA. My hopsital was participating in this trial since last fall. 

No wonder US only released 4 million to Mexico and Canada. They want them for domestic use soon. Looks like production is slow, and Canada will not get its 20 million quicker than Q3.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/22/business/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-us-trials.html

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/astrazeneca-us-vaccine-trial-met-primary-endpoint.html

• Thanks 2