The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why do these nasty viruses seem to so often start in China?  

Eating exotic food that is not thoroughly cooked?  Poor sanitation and hygiene (ie. Washing hands, etc)? 11M citizens packed in like a sardine can (high density)?

No idea. 

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why do these nasty viruses seem to so often start in China?  

Improper handling of wild animals.

How did the coronavirus start?

The virus appears to have originated from a Wuhan seafood market where wild animals, including marmots, birds, rabbits, bats and snakes, are traded illegally. Coronaviruses are known to jump from animals to humans, so it’s thought that the first people infected with the disease – a group primarily made up of stallholders from the seafood market – contracted it from contact with animals.

Although an initial analysis of the virus suggested it was similar to coronavirus seen in snakes, it now seems more likely that it came from bats. A team of virologists at the Wuhan Institute for Virology released a detailed paper showing that the new coronaviruses' genetic makeup is 96 per cent identical to that of a coronavirus found in bats. Bats were also the original source of the Sars virus.

Although the Wuhan market was shut down for inspection and cleaning on January 1, by then it appears that the coronavirus was already starting to spread beyond the market itself. On January 21, the WHO Western Pacific office said that the the disease was also being transmitted between humans – evidence of which is apparent after the infection of at least 41 medical staff.

I have heard many people ask why don't these things start in a place like India. When people think of India they think of overpopulation and questionable sanitation. You'd think it could be a breeding ground for these things.

The answer is that 80-85% of India is vegetarian. What little meat consumed is typically chicken. You don't find bats, snakes and other critters traded illegally in markets there. You won't get airborne viruses from improperly handling an eggplant.

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If i get  the Corona Virus  on my upcoming trip to Cancun..... I will trying treating with the Jose Cuervo Vacination......

Treat it with Corona. Fight fire with fire.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I believe I heard a report of it killing a 50 year old (beijing) man and a 36 year old woman is the youngest. After looking it up it appears that most have been seniors after looking more into it, hard to find specific demographics though.

How do we know how many have contracted the coronavirus without knowing it and simply recovered? 

35 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

:bigblush:

Funny how the internet is jumping all over this girl, too bad it's from 2016. 

If that's the gal from the show "Beauty Eats Bats", the government made her apologize and tell everyone she was wrong and not to eat bats.

"Now you tell us" :frantic:

18 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Paranoia is not limited to a certain race or nationality. 

Stop the madness. 

What does that cbc story have to do with ppl wearing water jugs on their heads? I see ZERO connection. 

Are you claiming ppl are not wearing water jugs and those pics are fake? I dont get what point you're trying to make or how you are connecting those 2 things which couldnt be possibly furher apart from each other... Clarify please.

Why are you bringing up race or ethnicity by quoting my post?

When did i say anything about race?.

I think maybe you mistakenly quoted wrong person about the race thing....

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Funny how the internet is jumping all over this girl, too bad it's from 2016. 

And it wasn't in China.

She was visiting Palau an island nation in the western pacific Ocean. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Why are you bringing up race or ethnicity by quoting my post?

When did i say anything about race.

I think you made a mistake  quoted the wrong person. 

Does this virus attack a particular ethnic group more than another?  Is there even such a bug that does that?  

Just ban the flights, just saw a video of a doctor revealing the truth. 90,000+ have the virus, spreads very easily.

I don't want to be wearing face masks and swimming goggles when I go out due to this virus becoming serious here.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Just ban the flights, just saw a video of a doctor revealing the truth. 90,000+ have the virus, spreads very easily.

I don't want to be wearing face masks and swimming goggles when I go out due to this virus becoming serious here.

How creditable is the doctor, is he situated in China?