The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It's kind of infuriating because, just as we're getting a bit of freedom to get out and visit our province, we're being swarmed by "visitors" crowding the space.  

I want to avoid crowds for awhile yet.  So we stay prisoners in our own backyards so others can visit.

I feel that a slower approach and allowing this summer to be "ours", as earned, would have been the sensible move.  Focus on "after" the pandemic to open up.  And the bs about businesses shutting down?  That happened before the pandemic due to the cost of doing business here.  I see the crowds in places like Steveston and Granville Island...we don't "need" tourists just yet.   Short sighted solutions miss the big picture....spikes in numbers mean shut downs in a rinse/repeat cycle.  So slow and steady will win this race in my view.

Yup.  Too much; too soon.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And it's stuff like this that has my wife yelling at the TV that we're too premature when Bonnie claims we're all good and on track to move to phase 4 of the restart plan/further remove restrictions.  :picard:

...and if I got a dollar for every time Bonnie makes a claim that my wife rejects and subsequently says "I told you so!" when Bonnie has to change her tone/approach, I could probably throw a keg party with the earnings.  Like seriously, how hard is it for our PHO to follow the precautionary principle, ie. "better safe than sorry"? 

Pretty obvious now - with the Indian (Delta) variant spreading quickly in our communities that we will likely start to see further widespread restictions come fall time - if not sooner.  It's unfortunate that so many unethical travellers from that country and a few others lied early on about being disease free by producing fake test reports and forged health documents in the springtime to allow travel but even the Indian media ( https://qz.com/india/1993757/indians-are-using-fake-covid-19-results-to-travel-skip-exams/ ) and many other media outlets reported this rampent fraud going on well before western countries caught on to the fraudsters and took action. 

At one point in late springtime before governments shut the door on those heavily infected 3rd world countries, virtually every flight from India had at least one fraudulent traveller on board - many with multiple fraudsters trying to lie and sneak in our country and others - to spread the disease.  Because of a few unethical low-lifes the disease likely spread more quickly and thourougly than otherwise would have happened.  It surely would have made it here at some point anyhow, that is a certainty but the rapid initial seeding of the Indian (Delta) variant owes some (but not all) of it roots to the liars and cheats of the world.   Very sad to see so many unethical, selfish peole willing to sacrafice lives with little regard for others not unlike the uneducated Flat Earth - Magnetic Vaccine conspiracy Anti Vaxers who live in the alternate universe. 

It might be wise to heed the UN's suggestion and delay and divert our anticipated (3rd) booster shots to these underdeloped/poorer countries so they can get protection before more and more variants develop there and eventually outsmart the current vaccines and come back to haunt us.   Otherwise this will become like a cat chasing it's tail and we'll always be a step behind.   

Top 30 Hare Chase GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Edited by RU SERIOUS

32 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It's kind of infuriating because, just as we're getting a bit of freedom to get out and visit our province, we're being swarmed by "visitors" crowding the spaces.   My kids (one of whom is immune compromised with respiratory issues since birth) have been trapped inside and have stuck to that, diligently.  Ordered everything online and delivered to their door.  Worked from home.  NO going out. They finally are fully vaxed (as of last week) and have taken a well deserved trip to a local destination for a few days feeling a bit of safety and comfort (masks in hand mind you).  To a place that is a hot spot for "visitors" and many heading North from the US will likely end up in.  

This is why we can't have nice things.  Because our Gov't is stupid.

I want to avoid crowds for awhile yet.  So we stay prisoners in our own backyards so others can make use of these places.  It's not like before where you could just cram them in.  Yet...it seems we're hellbent to test that out.  No learning from past mistakes.

I feel that a slower approach and allowing this summer to be "ours", as earned, would have been the sensible move.  Focus on "after" the pandemic to open up.  And the bs about businesses shutting down?  That happened before the pandemic due to the cost of doing business here, it's not new.  There's a high turnover of businesses here (sadly).  I feel for business owners, but they have subsidies to help see them through.  Those should end right here and now if we're opening up.  I see crowds in places like Steveston and Granville Island...we don't "need" tourists just yet.  We have plenty enough heading over from Alberta (so many plates on the road).  Short sighted solutions miss the big picture....spikes in numbers mean shut downs in a rinse/repeat cycle.  So slow and steady will win this race in my view.

When it's all about the money, we peons have no say. I watch those Board of Trade folks whining and crying over lost revenue. What would happen if many of the locals caught the Delta Variant and couldn't shop and play tourist? Like you, I've made two trips to the Interior in the last 11 months, to an area that's very isolated, and people that are aware like we are. Huge mistake allowing that element into our midst. Last summer was proof, and as contagious as Covid was, this Delta Variant is far worse. The Country isn't to the point of herd immunity, anywhere yet as far as I know. Yet, Washington State to the South is a hotbed for the variant.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, -DLC- said:

"Covid is fast becoming a virus of the unvaccinated" (just stated on the news as they're showing a story about a 15 year old who contracted COVID last year who is still experiencing new symptoms...severe bruising all over her body).

I'd say the virus is "experimental" and anyone unvaccinated is potentially a guinea pig.

The Delta variant is creating all kinds of new issues, presenting in kids who are too young to be vaccinated.  Sadly.  

I'm not so sure the thought of many children starting to die from the Indian (Delta) variant will make any difference to our Anti-Magnetic Vax/Flat Earth neighbors down under, as these are the same people who went out and stocked up with more guns and amo after Sandy Hook.   They really dont care about anything but themselves because it's their right.

Unfortunately - you can't fix Stupid !

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/a-15-year-old-described-what-it-s-like-to-have-long-covid-from-forgetting-the-previous-day-s-schoolwork-to-sitting-in-the-shower-to-avoid-fainting/ar-AAN7oJu?ocid=msedgntp

Will Grogan, a hardworking ninth-grade student, used to feel that "taking naps is a waste of sunlight," he told Pam Belluck for the New York Times.

But after getting COVID-19 in October, he says he suffered from debilitating fatigue and brain fog that interfered with his schoolwork, sports, and day-to-day life.

Grogan told the Times he was so exhausted that he could hardly leave his bed for 35 days after getting sick. He had to sit down in the shower to avoid fainting from dizziness. And when he finally returned to school, material he previously mastered looked entirely unfamiliar.

The 15-year-old is one of many people experiencing lingering health problems due to the coronavirus.

Dr. Molly Wilson-Murphy of Boston Children's Hospital told the Times, based on her experience, pediatric long COVID patients weren't always typically initially hospitalized. Some seemed to recover entirely, then rebounded with symptoms weeks later.

She said even some patients she's treated who started out with quite mild illness had the potential to develop long-term symptoms.

Neurological troubles like fatigue, headaches, brain fog, and issues with memory and concentration are among some of the most common symptoms reported by long-haulers.

'Am I going to be able to be a good student ever again?'

In biology class, Grogan said, he looked down at his work, convinced he had never seen it before. But his teacher reminded him that the day prior, he was acing questions on the material.

That wasn't his only cognitive mix-up, he said. In math class, he said the numbers floated off the page. He said he accidentally peppered his English homework with French phrases. After finishing a history paper days in advance, he said he forgot to turn it in.

"Am I going to be able to be a good student ever again? Because this is really scary," Grogan said he remembers thinking.

He said he was able to maintain good grades thanks to flexibility from his teachers, but his symptoms haven't entirely resolved.

When he returned to tennis - a sport at which he previously excelled - six months after his infection, he said he found his hand-eye coordination was off and his leg and chest ached.

"My idea of COVID before I got it was, You know what, if I get it, I'll get it over with and I'll have the antibodies and I'll be good," Grogan told the Times. "But oh, my gosh, I just never want to go through that again. Never."

• Huggy Bear 4

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/a-15-year-old-described-what-it-s-like-to-have-long-covid-from-forgetting-the-previous-day-s-schoolwork-to-sitting-in-the-shower-to-avoid-fainting/ar-AAN7oJu?ocid=msedgntp

Will Grogan, a hardworking ninth-grade student, used to feel that "taking naps is a waste of sunlight," he told Pam Belluck for the New York Times.

But after getting COVID-19 in October, he says he suffered from debilitating fatigue and brain fog that interfered with his schoolwork, sports, and day-to-day life.

Grogan told the Times he was so exhausted that he could hardly leave his bed for 35 days after getting sick. He had to sit down in the shower to avoid fainting from dizziness. And when he finally returned to school, material he previously mastered looked entirely unfamiliar.

The 15-year-old is one of many people experiencing lingering health problems due to the coronavirus.

Dr. Molly Wilson-Murphy of Boston Children's Hospital told the Times, based on her experience, pediatric long COVID patients weren't always typically initially hospitalized. Some seemed to recover entirely, then rebounded with symptoms weeks later.

She said even some patients she's treated who started out with quite mild illness had the potential to develop long-term symptoms.

Neurological troubles like fatigue, headaches, brain fog, and issues with memory and concentration are among some of the most common symptoms reported by long-haulers.

'Am I going to be able to be a good student ever again?'

In biology class, Grogan said, he looked down at his work, convinced he had never seen it before. But his teacher reminded him that the day prior, he was acing questions on the material.

That wasn't his only cognitive mix-up, he said. In math class, he said the numbers floated off the page. He said he accidentally peppered his English homework with French phrases. After finishing a history paper days in advance, he said he forgot to turn it in.

"Am I going to be able to be a good student ever again? Because this is really scary," Grogan said he remembers thinking.

He said he was able to maintain good grades thanks to flexibility from his teachers, but his symptoms haven't entirely resolved.

When he returned to tennis - a sport at which he previously excelled - six months after his infection, he said he found his hand-eye coordination was off and his leg and chest ached.

"My idea of COVID before I got it was, You know what, if I get it, I'll get it over with and I'll have the antibodies and I'll be good," Grogan told the Times. "But oh, my gosh, I just never want to go through that again. Never."

I can attest the long covid brain fog is real

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I don't see them dropping until restrictions come back.  We should be considering moving back into stage 2.

Hospital beds are going to fill up with the unvaccinated.  What we need are vaccine passports.  Restrictions many for the unvaccinated.  

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

As always Vintage, you are correct!

I hope I'm wrong this time. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

I don't see them dropping until restrictions come back.  We should be considering moving back into stage 2.

Yeah, that's true. I wonder what it it will mean for the NHL and the Canucks if we see a significant spike again. As of now, it's hard to imagine a full stadium in Vancouver.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yeah, that's true. I wonder what it it will mean for the NHL and the Canucks if we see a significant spike again. As of now, it's hard to imagine a full stadium in Vancouver.

I don't see a full Rogers Arena either, in fact, I'm getting more and more skeptical of an October season beginning. A traveling roster of players, coaching staff, trainers, press, and others, heading to those Delta Variant hotspots in the US of A is asking for trouble.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Absolutely.  Those CFL games in the prairies aren't something we want to emulate here.  I personally won't be attending any live sports without a vaccine requirement for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Absolutely.  Those CFL games in the prairies aren't something we want to emulate here.  I personally won't be attending any live sports without a vaccine requirement for the foreseeable future.

But, hey, it's sure great to have fans back in the stadiums again, right? How many times during Friday night's game in Regina did I hear that? Barely a mask in sight, and all that hoopin' and a hollerin', eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaawwwwwwwwww!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1