The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Rushed just a little bit, I get it was done out of panic, so that does worry me a bit. I actually do trust them, like I've stated yesterday and other times I do believe their intent is to help people, that I strongly stand by, and going by history vaccines have shown to help not denying any of that, but at the same time those vaccines were very thoroughly tested to be safe. I know they keep claiming everything was thoroughly tested for these vaccines, that's what they want us to believe and I do hope that's true, just this vaccine was developed in under a year it's really hard to say if the proper thorough testing was done correctly due to the panic of getting a vaccine so quick. 

3 trials all done as they would any other time.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Rushed just a little bit, I get it was done out of panic, so that does worry me a bit. I actually do trust them, like I've stated yesterday and other times I do believe their intent is to help people, that I strongly stand by, and going by history vaccines have shown to help not denying any of that, but at the same time those vaccines were very thoroughly tested to be safe. I know they keep claiming everything was thoroughly tested for these vaccines, that's what they want us to believe and I do hope that's true, just this vaccine was developed in under a year it's really hard to say if the proper thorough testing was done correctly due to the panic of getting a vaccine so quick. 

So what about my response to that?

You cited the smallpox vaccine but do you not think medical, scientific and technological advancements mean things can be done faster than in the past?  As well as previous research that can be drawn upon?  And the worldwide collaboration between countries in a united effort also matters.

I'd like to know what you think about these factors?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

21 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Oh I know their forcing it on them now, I've seen this already, definitely interesting how people who go to school and get educated on the health care system, are refusing to take a vaccine still... You would think they would be the firsts to have it.

Come on now, Chuck.  

"They're" not forcing it on anyone yet.  And healthcare workers aren't all doctors who have the extensive medical school experience and are any smarter than the rest of us.  I'd challenge that in a heartbeat...there are good/bad in all professions.  I've seen it with my own eyes.  "Healthcare workers" covers a vast expanse of knowledge and expertise that varies.

So educated on the health care system isn't educated on a novel coronavirus.  Quite different.

Scientists and others working on the vaccine also "got educated".

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

OK. Others have pointed out the reasons the timeline was fast but what I think I'm hearing from you is maybe you're concerned that a longer development timeline would have found out if there were longer term problems? 

If thats the case, even if the vaccine took an extra year to develop, we still wouldn't know if that was a problem. If the vaccine took 2 years instead of 1 year you'd probably feel better about it but still wouldn't' know if there was some long term problem.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I was just making the point regarding how this is the first time mrna has been approved for use in humans and I consider it experimental still, you asked for the link so I showed you.

Ok.  

And thanks again for the link.  Really appreciate it.

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So what's your response (don't have one)?   

Your deflecting speaks volumes.

Really this is the route you want to go with this wow. Out of all the posters who have quoted me in then last couple days and I've responded to them in a decent manner with how I view things, but this one is considered deflecting now in your mind lol. Because this topic is about covid and not water, so it's ok to derail threads now and talk about other issues when it fits your narrative interesting. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Really this is the route you want to go with this wow. Out of all the posters who have quoted me in then last couple days and I've responded to them in a decent manner with how I view things, but this one is considered deflecting now in your mind lol. Because this topic is about covid and not water, so it's ok to derail threads now and talk about other issues when it fits your narrative interesting. 

You're not a mod, so leave it to us to address topics being derailed as per the guidelines.  And this is a good example of derailing a thread ^. 

So could you please answer the question?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You've been having this back and forth with almost everyone on this board for the better part of a week. I will tell you this, that 5G is unbelievable. All kidding aside, if you don't get vaccinated, I don't like your chances of not ending up in an ICU. As its been stated by Public Health officials worldwide, these vaccines are safe, however, reactions do happen.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Not experimental you say... :lol:

I'll leave this then I'm done in here for today.

Never before have mRNA vaccines — such as the two-dose Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines that have now received emergency use authorization from the FDA — been approved for use in any disease. 

But if you'd quoted the entire article, it goes on to explain why they're "exciting new" developments.  Out of context for sure.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

31 minutes ago, EOTM said:

I think he upset about it being boiled down to just masks. He isn't against masks really just that they aren't the end all be all.

He also quite clearly says he and his family were vaccinated within the first three months. He is pissed off about the possibility of government mask mandates now (after being vaccinated) but wears one whenever and wherever he feels it is appropriate. If the unvaccinated people get sick, we’ll that’s the risk they took. He is fed up with people who won’t get vaccinated although that is their choice but risk his children not being able to go back to school in the fall.

He is anything but anti-mask.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Dude, at the end of the day, all you need to do is your own risk assessment and you can put an end to this.

For argument's sake, I'll play along for a bit with your concern that the vaccine is experimental.

You don't seem to be an anti-vax conspiracy theorist, so I'm going to assume that you believe this virus is real, and that it is a material threat to people's health and overall lives. With those assumptions in mind, I'd argue that by taking the "experimental vaccine" you vastly reduce your chances of getting hospitalized from the well-known virus of COVID-19. We certainly cannot claim that it protects you from infection, but I think by this point we can say with confidence that your chances of being hospitalized and death is greatly reduced after getting two doses. That is the clear cut, widely known benefit you get from taking the vaccine.

I'm assuming one of your concerns from taking this "experimental" vaccine is that we do not know about the other side effects; how our bodies will react to the vaccine in the long-run. Yes, there have been cases where some people have had adverse reactions to the vaccine, and at times, quite severely. However, we do know that these reactions are quite rare and no one, on both sides of the vaccine argument can pinpoint, with certainty, about the long-term affects of the vaccine. 

So, then, what do we know? Vaccines greatly reduce your chances of getting hospitalized or dying from an ongoing pandemic, and the vaccines could also lead to rare, adverse reactions with a risk of long-term negative health impacts that we do not know yet.

So what are you going to hedge your bets against? A known virus that has been well documented and has killed over 4 million people? Or unknown, long-term impacts that are likely to be rare. Think about the probabilities and severities of each scenario and assign a risk level for each. You'll get your answer once you do that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I made up my mind before any of this anti vax crap even started, interesting how many health care workers who are supposedly educated for that profession are refusing to get the vaccine... Ever thought about that? Do you just think then they must be idiots then? They were definitely smart enough to get into that profession, but I guess they really don't know anything...

I've got many doctor friends and every single one of them thinks anti vaxxers are complete and utter morons.  Full stop

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Water has an LD50 value.  Water can cause various side effects, some of which are quite dire.  Water is constantly being experimented on.

I don't see any posts of yours voicing skepticism about water.  :rolleyes:

Ok since Deb wants me to address this so be it then. 

Well what should we do? Is there a vaccine for it yet? How long is the vaccine going to take a few months? I guess the question will be will people take a vaccine to protect them from water? Or is anything even being done?

What about driving a car? Theirs a risk of dying does it stop people from driving or getting into a vehicle no. Smoking is another risk yet people do it, even though they know their slowly killing themselves but they take the risk anyways still. 

• Wat 2

13 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well what should we do? Is there a vaccine for it yet? How long is the vaccine going to take a few months? I guess the question will be will people take a vaccine to protect them from water? Or is anything even being done?

What about driving a car? Theirs a risk of dying does it stop people from driving or getting into a vehicle no. Smoking is another risk yet people do it, even though they know their slowly killing themselves but they take the risk anyways still. 

You completely avoided the direct question.

Many things come with risk but it's about weighing the pro's and con's in that.  As a society, we stand a better chance of making progress in this fight against COVID if we all get on board and reduce the numbers so the variants can't keep finding avenues to spread through.

And getting vaccinated is the only way to effectively get this done.

So yes, there is some risk involved but it's about a greater good.  Weigh the risk of being vaccinated against the risk of contracting COVID and the possible long term effects that could come with that.  We're seeing another surge here...do you want to keep living this way?  The risk of this thing lingering and the continued spikes we're seeing.    

I'd prefer we all start moving toward some form of "normal" again and vaccines are the path to get there.  Despite some RARE risk that is involved.  The odds say we'll be better WITH the vaccine than without it.

Fear of the unknown can be overcome...it's mostly fuelled by anxiety but if you really want to help yourself in that you'll steer CLEAR of fear mongering and acquire facts and knowledge that will help you make the right decision.  Sound evidence.  Good luck..  I truly DO get the anxious feeling associated with this and I even respect people who challenge things and go against the grain.  Just not if they're going up against science and medicine that has a proven history of success.  And vaccines do.  Fear is something that we should tap into if our intuition is leading us there...but sometimes people become frozen in fear and that can be debilitating.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This guy claims to be a doctor.... :picard:

For a guy who claims to be a doctor why is so upset about wearing a mask? Aren't doctors used to wearing masks why is he so against a mask? I could see his frustration regarding lock downs but that upset over a mask really wow... Does this guy also know all the long term effects of covid already? Or a good question is does anyone actually care? 

I think he's upset because stupid people have been doing stupid things from day one and have not only prolonged this pandemic, but made it far worse.  

The vast majority of people are sick to death and beyond frustrated with selfish aholes who are pushing us toward the cliff.

You're either part of the solution or part of the problem.  Which one are you?

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Come on man! You forgot about being struck by lightning.

Edited by johngould21
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

4,305,838 dead of covid

?   dead of the vaccine.

This convo is getting bizarre.

And if say if you got an accurate count from India and Brazil that number is likely double, at least.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/07/20/1018438334/indias-pandemic-death-toll-estimated-at-about-4-million-10-times-the-official-co

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1