The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Again I didn’t say get it on purpose.

Simply being in crowded areas without a mask would do the trick even if you’re not trying to get sick.

Thats my whole point. If the vaccines work at some point we will need to return to normal, meaning no mask. At that point the case rate will be high with hospitalizations being low, not unlike the flu.

To think we can keep the current measures forever and keep vaccine mandates for the next decade is not realistic. COVID like the flu is here to stay.

The vaccine passports prove that the mandates are here to stay permanently. 

4 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

The vaccine passports prove that the mandates are here to stay permanently. 

not sure how they 'prove' that?

we only need them because of people that don't care about others and will go places un-vaccinated.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

not sure how they 'prove' that?

we only need them because of people that don't care about others and will go places un-vaccinated.

Because it’s a huge undertaking for something that’s only going to last a year or two or 5 or 10. Nothing will change with their currently being over 148 variants active in the world right now. 

I posted one of the charts from the article.  It looks like increasing the interval between shots can lead to better protection.  A lot of the info on waning protection is coming from jurisdictions that stuck to the 3-4 week interval (like the US).  Whereas here we have lots of people who went much longer between doses.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-vaccine-effectiveness-data-delayed-doses-mixing-matching-covid-19-vaccines-1.6205993?fbclid=IwAR2NKMqOBGHPDAjWN0dkFOJeXAR1NULdLBknx3gMXRq4Ltd8uFzYSLQghmM

New data suggests Canada's 'gamble' on delaying, mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccines paid off

Early data suggests strong protection against delta, no evidence for boosters in the general population yet

vaccine-effectiveness-graphic.jpg

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Because it’s a huge undertaking for something that’s only going to last a year or two or 5 or 10. Nothing will change with their currently being over 148 variants active in the world right now. 

actually it happened really fast. The records for your vaccination were already electronic, so all they needed was an app that linked to that info.

The effort to get people vaccinated was much harder.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

actually it happened really fast. The records for your vaccination were already electronic, so all they needed was an app that linked to that info.

The effort to get people vaccinated was much harder.

Exactly.  I have access to years of getting flu shots.  I can even see which pharmacy/location supplied the shot.  Not very hard in the digital age.

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

On the positive side, calls to the deworming hotline has decreased.:ph34r:

Alberta, the land of:

If I didn't have my catholic upbringing, I'd be selling sugar pills to Albertans and put "clinical strength Ivarmectic" on the box. Could have cleaned up.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

7-8 to weeks seems to be the sweet spot for your second dose, the 1% increase in effectiveness waiting 16+ weeks isn't material enough to wait that long between jabs IMO. I got my second shot 28ish days after my first, I hope I can get a booster to increase the effectiveness from 82% (give or take with that range) to 100%. @thedestroyerofworldsdo you have a photo of that graph with the y-axis labelled?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoKnows said:

7-8 to weeks seems to be the sweet spot for your second dose, the 1% increase in effectiveness waiting 16+ weeks isn't material enough to wait that long between jabs IMO. I got my second shot 28ish days after my first, I hope I can get a booster to increase the effectiveness from 82% (give or take with that range) to 100%. @thedestroyerofworldsdo you have a photo of that graph with the y-axis labelled?

I just took it from the CBC article.   The link is in my post.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, gurn said:

"In August, a U.S. study found that males between the ages of 12 and 17 — the demographic most likely to develop myocarditis — were six times more likely to suffer heart inflammation from being infected with Covid-19 than from being vaccinated against the virus."

They might be 6x more likely but you want to vax 100% of them where as up to this point they've only had a 4% chance of actually getting covid in B.C. so you would cause more cases than if they didn't get vaxxed. That age range chances of actually dying from Covid is basically 0 if they're healthy to begin with.

14 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

They might be 6x more likely but you want to vax 100%

Can you please quote were I said I wanted 100% of people vaccinated.

14 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

That age range chances of actually dying from Covid is basically 0 if they're healthy to begin with.

Please back this up with a credible link.

Also if kids/anyone gets covid there is more outcomes than just

They died

They got better

There is an large percentage of people who end up screwed up for an unknown amount of time; covid long haulers.

Ps kids can carry and spread the virus, so it isn't just about their health, it is also about the adults and seniors in their lives.

Edited by gurn
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

WOW, an original comment from you that isn’t echoing someone else’s. I think I’m going to upvote it’s just for being the first one I’ve seen from you :) 

I'm placing the over/under at 5 pages before John McCaw deals with this guy.  I'll take the under.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, gurn said:

Can you please quote were I said I wanted 100% of people vaccinated.

Please back this up with a credible link.

Also if kids/anyone gets covid there is more outcomes than just

They died

They got better

There is an large percentage of people who end up screwed up for an unknown amount of time; covid long haulers.

Ps kids can carry and spread the virus, so it isn't just about their health, it is also about the adults and seniors in their lives.

So you dont want 100% of people vaxxed in the 12 to 17 age range? Only 17 people in th 0 - 19 age range have died from covid in Canada. My guess is that most of those people had underlying conditions. Your teenager is more likely to die of a drug overdose in B.C than they are from Covid. Since the start of 2020 under 2k have died from covid where as 2700 have died from drug overdoses.