The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm feeling like I still have a mild flu. I hardly ever feel sick so I know its something. 

But more, I am grumpy at the testing again.

Took a day to book an appointment for the test.

Was told I had options for results, one was a phone number where I could check on those results within 24-48 hrs.

Once I found that option on the rambling automated service...the cpu voice told me to go sign up for the text msg results and that they wont come until 48hrs. Then said, if I haven't heard after 72hr, to call back to the same number and select the ' I haven't received a call or text' option.

I called back and decided to do that even though it's only been a day with the hope that I could talk to a human. This line said the wait time was 2 mins, I waited for 30mins before I selected a callback option. They called an hour later. I know not to 'shoot the messenger' so I was very polite and explained myself. She was nice enough to check on my test results....theyre still pending.

My gripe should be obvious. I'm going on 3 days off work due to trying to do the right thing. My sister in-law is coming today to stay with us and I have to pick her up.

So, a double vaxxed person trying to do the right thing cant get results for potentially 4 days or more. How on earth will this system stop the spread? where are the resources? I am about to expose myself to the community in one way or another, so I hope obviously that it is just a flu. 

Also, I think I can trace back to a restaurant in Nanaimo when i started to feel sick. It would be good for the area to know as fast as possible. Mid-island isnt doing too well from what I have heard , case wise.

I get that part where you are frustrated.  That system sounds awful.  I have always got results back in 24hrs (Ontario not BC).

The part I don't get is that if you are feeling unwell, you think it is punishment staying home and that if it is the flu it is okay to just spread it around.  I thought at the very least this pandemic would help get rid of the going to work sick shows i am strong/good employee idea.  

Now if what we are talking about is a gastroenteritis (one of my pet peeves is people calling any stomach bug a flu) and you are double vaccinated and have recovered then there are no testing requirements for return to work.

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I get that part where you are frustrated.  That system sounds awful.  I have always got results back in 24hrs (Ontario not BC).

The part I don't get is that if you are feeling unwell, you think it is punishment staying home and that if it is the flu it is okay to just spread it around.  I thought at the very least this pandemic would help get rid of the going to work sick shows i am strong/good employee idea.  

Now if what we are talking about is a gastroenteritis (one of my pet peeves is people calling any stomach bug a flu) and you are double vaccinated and have recovered then there are no testing requirements for return to work.

It's so mild that I could go to work, as my work this week is solo. I am a timber framer, I would be prepping wood outside.

Until 2 years ago I was high level management in a Liquor group. I had a hard rule for employees not to go in sick at all. I got tired of that life and am semi retired on the Island. I do the work I do cause I am a health nut and like to support my nephew who owns the timber company.

My comment about that I would expose the community is that my sister in law is coming to stay till Sunday. I can't do anything about that and plan to try to keep clear of her until get the results and feel better but it's not a huge house. 

So, my concern obviously is that it IS covid and that I send it back with her. Also, would love to let that restaurant know. 

I didn't mean to imply it's a punishment to stay home either. Just pointing out missing days of work doing the right thing sucks.

I live on 2 acres of waterfront. If i never left my property again, I'd be fine. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, bishopshodan said:

It's so mild that I could go to work, as my work this week is solo. I am a timber framer, I would be prepping wood outside.

Until 2 years ago I was high level management in a Liquor group. I had a hard rule for employees not to go in sick at all. I got tired of that life and am semi retired on the Island. I do the work I do cause I am a health nut and like to support my nephew who owns the timber company.

My comment about that I would expose the community is that my sister in law is coming to stay till Sunday. I can't do anything about that and plan to try to keep clear of her until get the results and feel better but it's not a huge house. 

So, my concern obviously is that it IS covid and that I send it back with her. Also, would love to let that restaurant know. 

I didn't mean to imply it's a punishment to stay home either. Just pointing out missing days of work doing the right thing sucks.

I live on 2 acres of waterfront. If i never left my property again, I'd be fine. 

Also, not a stomach bug.

aches, headache, mild fever, terrible sleeps. 

• Huggy Bear 1

32 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm feeling like I still have a mild flu. I hardly ever feel sick so I know its something. 

But more, I am grumpy at the testing again.

Took a day to book an appointment for the test.

Was told I had options for results, one was a phone number where I could check on those results within 24-48 hrs.

Once I found that option on the rambling automated service...the cpu voice told me to go sign up for the text msg results and that they wont come until 48hrs. Then said, if I haven't heard after 72hr, to call back to the same number and select the ' I haven't received a call or text' option.

I called back and decided to do that even though it's only been a day with the hope that I could talk to a human. This line said the wait time was 2 mins, I waited for 30mins before I selected a callback option. They called an hour later. I know not to 'shoot the messenger' so I was very polite and explained myself. She was nice enough to check on my test results....theyre still pending.

My gripe should be obvious. I'm going on 3 days off work due to trying to do the right thing. My sister in-law is coming today to stay with us and I have to pick her up.

So, a double vaxxed person trying to do the right thing cant get results for potentially 4 days or more. How on earth will this system stop the spread? where are the resources? I am about to expose myself to the community in one way or another, so I hope obviously that it is just a flu. 

Also, I think I can trace back to a restaurant in Nanaimo when i started to feel sick. It would be good for the area to know as fast as possible. Mid-island isnt doing too well from what I have heard , case wise.

I'm surprised Island Health isn't better on this. Good luck to you, and thanks for doing the right thing. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I'm surprised Island Health isn't better on this. Good luck to you, and thanks for doing the right thing. 

Thanks Jim.

I'm just angry. Also feel bad for the older folks that might be in the same situation. Everything is automated and redirected to be online sign ups and text messages. It's a slow and complicated system imo. 

I'm a bit of a luddite myself so I get frustrated but could not imagine my mum trying to navigate this.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks Jim.

I'm just angry. Also feel bad for the older folks that might be in the same situation. Everything is automated and redirected to be online sign ups and text messages. It's a slow and complicated system imo. 

I'm a bit of a luddite myself so I get frustrated but could not imagine my mum trying to navigate this.

its just another example to me of why BC needs a single health authority for stuff like this. My daughter is in retail in Vancouver and has been tested 5 times now, each time we had an answer within 24 hours, often a lot less. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

its just another example to me of why BC needs a single health authority for stuff like this. My daughter is in retail in Vancouver and has been tested 5 times now, each time we had an answer within 24 hours, often a lot less. 

Yeah when i got my test done a few months ago it was 24 hours and that was island health too. It was probably less busy then than it is now though 

3 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Yeah when i got my test done a few months ago it was 24 hours and that was island health too. It was probably less busy then than it is now though 

was that in Victoria or up island?

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

"Please leave religion out of this."

Now insult non-religious people by calling them heathens and then put your religious beliefs into at the end.

Way to really make that point.

You’re supposedly a doctor and should be neutral in this… 

I don’t want to to derail this thread but reading up on how many people believe or adhere to religion was reassuring… 

I need to remember that online forums are a staple of hate and represent a small minority of people not the majority who are religious. 

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's like telling someone they have a 50% of killing themselves by doing something and they do it again because it didn't kill them last time. There are some levels of stupid you just can't fix.

Religion is just an ideal people hide behind to justify their own belief that they are more important and valuable than the people they stand beside. That is sickening if anything is.

So over a billion people are using religion maliciously? Does that even make sense? Or are you just pulling things out of thin air? 

Over a billion adherents of different faiths vs. 1 million or so non believers.. 

Anyway please get the voluntary vaccine so you don’t get fired from your job. Ridiculous that people have allowed this sort of thing to happen. 

2 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Anyway please get the voluntary vaccine so you don’t get fired from your job. Ridiculous that people have allowed this sort of thing to happen. 

Research bona fide occupational requirements.  Not touching the religion topic in this thread; the mods have enough on their plate.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

1 million or so non believers.. 

Am I reading this right?

You think only 1 million or so people dont believe in religion, in the entire world?!

That cannot be what you mean. 

Anyway, I can agree that religion talks doesn't need to be in this thread unless it is referring to organised groups that are advocating for not getting the vaccine.

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Am I reading this right?

You think only 1 million or so people dont believe in religion, in the entire world?!

That cannot be what you mean. 

Anyway, I can agree that religion talks doesn't need to be in this thread unless it is referring to organised groups that are advocating for not getting the vaccine.

It is a approximation.. I don’t know the actual figure of non-believers but according to this Wikipedia article the numbers are still high for religious people. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations

As some are hoping I guess we will see in 100 years or so lol… maybe it will go up by 1% for non-believers. 

Please be neutral about it especially if you’re a medical professional dealing with many different patients. 

Anyway my last post about religion.

3 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

It is a approximation.. I don’t know the actual figure of non-believers but according to this Wikipedia article the numbers are still high for religious people. 

As some are hoping I guess we will see in 100 years or so lol… maybe it will go up by 1% for non-believers. 

Please be neutral about it especially if you’re a medical professional dealing with many different patients. 

My last post too about it... but this is just Canada alone...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_Canada#:~:text=According to Ontario Consultants on,agnostic%2C and 1.2 million humanist.

According to Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance, among those estimated 4.9 million Canadians of no religion, an estimated 1.9 million would specify atheist, 1.8 million would specify agnostic, and 1.2 million humanist.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Ummm.....that shows about 1.2 billion non-religious people.....:unsure:

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

if there was a vaccine to prevent abortion, I bet you'd be pushing for that to be mandatory.

• Cheers 2