The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

Absolutely, but I'd bet were at least a year away from that being readily available

It's been approved by the FDA.  They start rolling them out in January.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/first-supply-of-pfizers-covid-19-treatment-pill-expected-in-alabama-in-january-2022/ar-AAS5YEc?ocid=BingNewsSearch

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah that's what I figured, so I will think about mine in February or March... but I support people that want them now. 

Btw Gurn me and you have argued a fair amount over the last few months, respectfully of course, but I'm seeing more and more selfishness when it comes to the small 8% of the adults that aren't vaccinated. Out of the let's say 10 people that I know of that aren't vaccinated, I still stand by one person who has a very good reason for his choice, while about 4 fall into miseducated/stubborn and 5 fall into more of the selfish side. 

I know two people with valid medical reasons for remaining un vaxxed; one is a Lupus  patient, the other has so much wrong I'm occasionally amazed they are still above ground.

I'm truly hopeful we are entering the beginning of the end with all this.

I also know more than that, who are just completely miss informed, non vaxxers.

I called out the selfish at the beginning, who didn't care about the weak and vulnerable when this started; thus it would be hypocritical of me to not care about the weak minded and misinformed now.

So I'll continue to do what the trained professional's recommend, even if it saves people that didn't care enough about themselves or others, to also do the right thing.

Looking at VC’s latest Covid update I see a lot of positive changes on the vaccination front which had basically hit a wall before.

Ages 5-11 1st dose and 2nd dose vaccination rates after a slow start are rapidly rising.

2nd dose vaccination rates after slowing down are closing the gap with the 1st dose rates.

1st dose vaccination rates after stalling are creeping upwards again.

Children getting partly or fully protected is good. People getting fully protected is good. People getting partly protected is good.

I’ve mentioned this before in the thread, but I’ve personally always felt that 92% would be our maxed out number due to the increase of misinformation/disinformation spread (about 6-7% of the population) plus the 1-2% who medically are unable to get it. Obviously with these latest numbers we still haven’t hit our ceiling for vaccine rates, which is an unexpected pleasant surprise. This also means conversions are still happening, which suggests good news to me that there are still persuadable people out there amidst the entrenched sides.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I know, but they're going to be in very short supply for a long time I'd expect

Guy from Denmark on CKNW reporting that country removed all restrictions Dec 10th.  They are seeing huge numbers of Omicron cases now.  He did point out though that there is a decoupling between the number of cases and serious disease.  So like South Africa, the UK, and the US, Omicron is super contagious but in a vaccinated community it presents with disease that is most often mild.  

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Still too early to draw that conclusion.  We'll know for sure in January.  Until then, let's err on the side of caution.

Yup.  Doctor Bonnie is smart.  We need to slow down the spread of infection.  She even said in her presser we still have a lot of unvaccinated people.  Denmark shouldn’t have gave up on restrictions.  Dumb Danish.  

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Doctor Bonnie is smart.  We need to slow down the spread of infection.  She even said in her presser we still have a lot of unvaccinated people.  Denmark shouldn’t have gave up on restrictions.  Dumb Danish.  

Careful Alf. Might have to guard you now. Dr. Bonnie has some disgruntled critics. On the plus side I only ask for a glass of scotch per day. 

• Haha 1

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Thursday, Dec. 23, 2021, 87.7% (4,372,428) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.7% (4,124,437) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.8% (4,255,333) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89% (4,124,353) received their second dose and 17% (785,505) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.2% (3,986,940) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.5% (3,869,327) received their second dose and 18% (784,714) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 2,046 new cases of COVID-19, including five epi-linked cases, for a total of 233,217 cases in the province.

There are currently 8,739 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 221,872 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 195 individuals are currently in hospital and 75 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 741 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 2,825
  • 880 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 3,729
  • 123 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 699
  • 53 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 217
  • 248 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 1,267
  • one new case of a person who resides outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: two

In the last 24 hours, one new death (Island Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 2,410.

There have been 975 cases of the Omicron variant of concern confirmed in B.C.:

• Fraser Health: 221
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: 496
  • Interior Health: 19
  • Northern Health: four
  • Island Health: 235

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. There is one active outbreak in:

long-term care:

• none

acute care:

• Lions Gate Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health)

assisted or independent living:

• none

From Dec. 15-21, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 24.8% of cases and from Dec. 8-21 they accounted for 68.6% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Dec. 15-21) - Total 6,879

• Not vaccinated: 1,620 (23.5%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 86 (1.3%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 5,173 (75.2%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 8-21) - Total 175

• Not vaccinated: 116 (66.3%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 4 (2.3%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 55 (31.4%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 15-21)

• Not vaccinated: 238.2
  • Partially vaccinated: 41.8
  • Fully vaccinated: 113.5

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 8-21)

• Not vaccinated: 27
  • Partially vaccinated: 3.1
  • Fully vaccinated: 1.2

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,248,433 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0239-002446

• Thanks 3

Trevor put out this great thread today if you are interested in predictions on omicron wave. He's a well respected virologist out of Seattle.
It's still a wait and see game, but some interesting trends emerging. We can expect omicron data reporting will be erratic over the holiday break, so it may not be till Jan that we see a better picture.

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Thursday, Dec. 23, 2021, 87.7% (4,372,428) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.7% (4,124,437) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.8% (4,255,333) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89% (4,124,353) received their second dose and 17% (785,505) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.2% (3,986,940) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.5% (3,869,327) received their second dose and 18% (784,714) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 2,046 new cases of COVID-19, including five epi-linked cases, for a total of 233,217 cases in the province.

There are currently 8,739 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 221,872 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 195 individuals are currently in hospital and 75 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 741 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 2,825
  • 880 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 3,729
  • 123 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 699
  • 53 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 217
  • 248 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 1,267
  • one new case of a person who resides outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: two

In the last 24 hours, one new death (Island Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 2,410.

There have been 975 cases of the Omicron variant of concern confirmed in B.C.:

• Fraser Health: 221
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: 496
  • Interior Health: 19
  • Northern Health: four
  • Island Health: 235

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. There is one active outbreak in:

long-term care:

• none

acute care:

• Lions Gate Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health)

assisted or independent living:

• none

From Dec. 15-21, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 24.8% of cases and from Dec. 8-21 they accounted for 68.6% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Dec. 15-21) - Total 6,879

• Not vaccinated: 1,620 (23.5%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 86 (1.3%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 5,173 (75.2%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 8-21) - Total 175

• Not vaccinated: 116 (66.3%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 4 (2.3%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 55 (31.4%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 15-21)

• Not vaccinated: 238.2
  • Partially vaccinated: 41.8
  • Fully vaccinated: 113.5

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 8-21)

• Not vaccinated: 27
  • Partially vaccinated: 3.1
  • Fully vaccinated: 1.2

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,248,433 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0239-002446

Vaccines are still doing their jobs.

• Vintage 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/bc-records-2046-new-covid-cases-surpassing-projected-worst-case-scenario/ar-AAS6uNo?bncnt=BroadcastNews_TopStories&ocid=UCPNC2

B.C.'s COVID case numbers continued to soar ahead of Christmas Day, with another 2,046 cases recorded Thursday.

The update broke B.C.'s previous one-day record, set Wednesday, of 1,528 cases and Tuesday’s record of 1,308 cases.

Thursday's cases include 741 new cases in Fraser Health, 880 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health, 123 new cases in Interior Health, 53 new cases in Northern Health, 248 new cases in Island Health and one new case of a person who resides outside of Canada.

There are now 8,739 active cases, largely driven by the highly-contagious Omicron variant, of which there are now 975 cases recorded.

This includes 221 in Fraser Health, 496 in Vancouver Coastal Health, 19 in Interior Health, four in Northern Health and 235 in Island Health.

This high number of cases seen Thursday was cited as being the "worst-case scenario" when the province unveiled its modelling numbers on Dec. 14.

According to the modelling data, B.C.’s worst-case scenario involving Omicron would be 2,000 new cases per day by Dec. 29. The best-case scenario would be around 1,000 new cases per day by the middle of January, the province said.

One more person has died, bringing the total to 2,410 since the start of the pandemic.

An additional eight people were in hospital from Wednesday, for a total of 195, and four more people were in the ICU, now for a total of 75.

There have now been 233,217 total cases in B.C. since the start of the pandemic.

As of Thursday, 87.7 per cent (4,372,428) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.7 per cent (4,124,437) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.8 per cent (4,255,333) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89 per cent (4,124,353) received their second dose and 17 per cent (785,505) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.2 per cent (3,986,940) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.5 per cent (3,869,327) received their second dose and 18 per cent (784,714) have received a third dose.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

B.C.'s COVID case numbers continued to soar ahead of Christmas Day, with another 2,046 cases recorded Thursday.

The update broke B.C.'s previous one-day record, set Wednesday, of 1,528 cases and Tuesday’s record of 1,308 cases.

Ready or not, up we go.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

This high number of cases seen Thursday was cited as being the "worst-case scenario" when the province unveiled its modelling numbers on Dec. 14.

According to the modelling data, B.C.’s worst-case scenario involving Omicron would be 2,000 new cases per day by Dec. 29.

Well looks like we got to 2,000 6 days early.

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

There are now 8,739 active cases, largely driven by the highly-contagious Omicron variant, of which there are now 975 cases recorded.

Bad wording as the 7,764 non Omi covid cases are the larger stat.

Also means that our Delta covid numbers for today are huge in their own right.

Plus 8 in hospital and plus 4 in icu isn't alarming, but is  up.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sad to see so many cases, but encouraging to see we are following everywhere else that’s had (having) the Omicron wave and there is a clear decoupling of severe disease from case numbers.  Thank you science for these vaccines!  

I'm still pretty concerned for the older folks, they are bearing the brunt of vaccinated hospitalizations again.

• Huggy Bear 1

44 minutes ago, gurn said:

Ready or not, up we go.

Well looks like we got to 2,000 6 days early.

Bad wording as the 7,764 non Omi covid cases are the larger stat.

Also means that our Delta covid numbers for today are huge in their own right.

Plus 8 in hospital and plus 4 in icu isn't alarming, but is  up.

I wonder if that's just them not testing every case.  There's no way we'd suddenly have a jump of delta like that, after months of stability.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wonder if that's just them not testing every case.  There's no way we'd suddenly have a jump of delta like that, after months of stability.

They have to send results to a lab for genetic sequencing to determine if it is the Omicron variant and I doubt they do this for the vast majority of cases. Omicron cases are expected to double almost every two days so we can expect over 10,000 per day before the new year although testing may fall short before we see those numbers.

A group of doctors and other advocates is urging B.C. to speed up booster shots as the Omicron variant moves into the province.

Protect our Province BC held a press briefing Thursday (Dec. 16) to lay out what steps they believe the province needs to take.

“Two doses are not enough to provide protection against breakthrough cases,” said Dr. Lyne Filiatrault, a retired emergency room doctor.

She pointed to Ontario, where she said cases are doubling every 2.2 days and that within a week, all cases there will be Omicron. That variant was first detected in South Africa in November and has already spurred the federal government to issue a travel advisory and call for more arrival testing at airports.