The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I stumbled across a graphic clip from Shanghai completely by accident that had no NSFW warning attached. There were bags full of live pets being collected for extermination. Sickened that I saw it but not willing to forget that it exists.

Yeah I saw a clip on TV where a Covid positive guy's dog was taken out by a guy in a hazmat suit and beaten to death. :angry:

• Sad 4

Antivaxxers will need a different talking point.  These vaccines greatly reduce transmission:

“Published in Nature. Peer-reviewed. Sound methodology. Study out of Switzerland shows COVID-19 boosters REDUCE INFECTIOUS viral load in individuals with a post-vaccination Omicron infection by MORE THAN 5-FOLD compared to unvaccinated individuals, leading to LESS transmission.”

Chise Twitter

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Sometimes when I see the angst in our home land, I am shocked at that so many don't realise we have it very, very good. 

The issue is, nobody has travelled anywhere that isn't all inclusive; nobody has learned anything of their life except what they did after high school; and nobody has experienced the world outside of their perfect echo chambers.

Hard to understand how good we have it if you've never struggled or seen struggle

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

My dog is like my daughter. My best friend. 

Yep, I'm one of those.

I would be dead, along with said person in hazmat suit,  if I lived in that country and that happened.

Sometimes when I see the angst in our home land, I am shocked at that so many don't realise we have it very, very good. 

Absolutely bang on. We are some of the luckiest people on the planet winning the birth or immigration lottery to live in Canada. I really want those who complain about our country to live in Russia, China or somewhere in Africa for a year to get their heads on straight. Don’t get me wrong, we have problems, all countries do, but we have soooo much that we take for granted as normal that would be considered out of reach for 90% of the world. 

• Cheers 2

On 4/9/2022 at 6:56 PM, Warhippy said:

Have been on and off but it's hard to follow due to information lock down

This guy has a pretty good daily report of how it's going for his family/his building. Been following him for a since like day 19 and seeing what is like out there. 

Edited by Russ

42 minutes ago, Russ said:

This guy has a pretty good daily report of how it's going for his family/his building. Been following him for a since like day 19 and seeing what is like out there. 

What a trip.

But hey, Canadians are losing freedoms because they can't set up bouncy castles and cook shacks while occupying the capital.

• Haha 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

What a trip.

But hey, Canadians are losing freedoms because they can't set up bouncy castles and cook shacks while occupying the capital.

In fairness bouncy castles do sound fun! I wouldn't want that taken away! 

But holy crap they just split them into 3 categories out in Shanghai, if one person in a building tests the whole building is locked down. Reminds me of the beginning when there were videos of them literally welding doors shut on people back in early 2020

21 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

My dog is like my daughter. My best friend. 

Yep, I'm one of those.

Same.

The main difference between the two is that one always wants to go for a walk and the other wants me to drive her everywhere.....:unsure:

• Haha 1

AEI says the real number of daily COVID-19 cases in China is circa 250,000

American Enterprise Institute senior fellow Derek Scissors, referring to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP):

• “There’s never been a point where they’ve told the truth about the number of cases,
  • “The [25,000] cases, honestly, it’s at least 10 times that much, probably more. But they’re never going to report that, because it’s destabilizing. They will never report that the Party has lost control of an important situation.”

I don't know about the veracity of that 250K figure but it'd be foolish to deny that figures closer to that than 25K are the market chatter.

Which points to further issues ahead for:

• China's domestic economy
  • global supply chains
  • oil demand

49 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

AEI says the real number of daily COVID-19 cases in China is circa 250,000

American Enterprise Institute senior fellow Derek Scissors, referring to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP):

• “There’s never been a point where they’ve told the truth about the number of cases,
  • “The [25,000] cases, honestly, it’s at least 10 times that much, probably more. But they’re never going to report that, because it’s destabilizing. They will never report that the Party has lost control of an important situation.”

I don't know about the veracity of that 250K figure but it'd be foolish to deny that figures closer to that than 25K are the market chatter.

Which points to further issues ahead for:

• China's domestic economy
  • global supply chains
  • oil demand

Tomorrow is the release of the Consumer index for the month in the US.  it is also the release of the analytical chapter of the WEO from the IMF.

Should be a fun day in the markets

Covid just passed 500 million+ cases crushing China right now.  BA.2 now rising in 20 nations.  no less than 4 new variants found and being classified as variants of concern by the WHO.  Ontario getting kicked around again

But hey, everyone can go sit at the pub and have a pint so why worry 

This thread died so fast.  it's amazing to see how fast we'll move on as a species

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/worldwide-covid-cases-1.6419773

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-hospitals-virus-related-absences-1.6418471

Global COVID-19 cases surpassed 500 million on Thursday, according to a Reuters tally, as the highly contagious BA.2 sub-variant of Omicron surges in many countries in Europe and Asia.

The rise of BA.2 has been blamed for recent surges in China as well as record infections in Europe, while South Korea leads the world in the daily average number of new cases, reporting more than 182,000 new infections a day and accounting for one in every four infections globally, according to a Reuters analysis.

New cases are rising in 20 out of more than 240 countries and territories tracked, including Taiwan, Thailand and Bhutan.

Edited by Warhippy

Just now, Warhippy said:

Covid crushing China right now.  BA.2 now rising in 20 major nations.  no less than 4 new variants found and being classified as variants of concern by the WHO

This thread died so fast.  it's amazing.

I wonder how much of this is due to China going on its own with vaccines? maybe they aren't up to the task. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Covid just passed 500 million+ cases crushing China right now.  BA.2 now rising in 20 nations.  no less than 4 new variants found and being classified as variants of concern by the WHO.  Ontario getting kicked around again

This thread died so fast.  it's amazing to see how fast we'll move on as a species

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-hospitals-virus-related-absences-1.6418471

Global COVID-19 cases surpassed 500 million on Thursday, according to a Reuters tally, as the highly contagious BA.2 sub-variant of Omicron surges in many countries in Europe and Asia.

The rise of BA.2 has been blamed for recent surges in China as well as record infections in Europe, while South Korea leads the world in the daily average number of new cases, reporting more than 182,000 new infections a day and accounting for one in every four infections globally, according to a Reuters analysis.

New cases are rising in 20 out of more than 240 countries and territories tracked, including Taiwan, Thailand and Bhutan.

I still wear my mask at work, still wear it out in public, still plan on getting boosters when available.  

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

As much as we should still be cautious with COVID the thread definitely did not die fast. It’s been 2 years and most of it had this thread extremely active. Other then politics it’s the longest lasting topic here. Hopefully this new variant will still be effected by vaccines.

• Vintage 1