The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess I can see a situation where a young person did something out of fear as well. Maybe she was scared to be there? One thing we all know about these media stories is they slant it whatever way gets the most clicks now. Not saying she was right in any way but people do dumb things when they're scared. 

I don't get why she didn't just say she felt sick ... same thing, same result ... no?

24 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Australia going next level with the quarantines. Dragging anyone off to a hotel for a 2 week stay regardless of if they're an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Good to see them doing what Canada is already doing.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ontario Premier Ford continues to impress me:

He's been acting like a real leader in this crisis.  Didn't think he had it in him.  Compare that to Krusty the Clown south of the border.

Agreed. He has performed very well and I am quite surprised, but happy about it.

I am, like another poster stated, was not a supporter of Trudeau's.  I believe he has performed quite well though. I think he could have moved a bit quicker but that is easy to say in hindsight.

We shall see how well things are going in the next 10-14 days though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Australia going next level with the quarantines. Dragging anyone off to a hotel for a 2 week stay regardless of if they're an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Forced coronavirus quarantine for all people returning to Australia

All passengers who arrive in Australia after midnight on Saturday will go into mandatory quarantine in hotels for a fortnight, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced.

Concerns have been raised about people not adhering to self-isolation requirements, particularly after getting off cruise ships.

Defence Force personnel will be brought in to support state and territory police in enforcing the mandatory quarantine and the self-isolation rules that apply to people who are already in Australia or who arrive before the Saturday midnight deadline.

Mr Morrison said two-thirds of the nation's confirmed cases of coronavirus had come from people travelling from overseas.

"States and territories will be quarantining all arrivals through our airports in hotels and other accommodation facilities for the two weeks of their mandatory self-isolation before they are able to return to their home," he said.

"If their home is in South Australia, or in Perth, or in Tasmania and they have arrived in Melbourne, they will be quarantining in Melbourne."

They dragged their feet so badly to start this. There was a cruise ship in Perth a week or so ago and 3,000 Americans got off to visit. 

• Cheers 1

Damn it, First Boris and now Doris.

ESPN broadcaster Doris Burke tests positive for coronavirus

ESPN broadcaster Doris Burke has tested positive for COVID-19.

She revealed the news to her colleague Adrian Wojnarowksi on his podcast.

Burke told Wojnarowski that she started feeling symptoms on March 11, the day she worked the Denver Nuggets-Dallas Mavericks game on the final night of NBA play before the league suspended games.

‘I’m doing well’

“I’m doing well,” Burke told Wojnarowski. “I’m doing quite well now, to be perfectly honest with you.”

Burke felt ‘extraordinary fatigue’

Burke recalled when she first felt symptomatic during a lunch meeting prior to the Nuggets-Mavericks game.

“I remember sitting at lunch with my broadcast crew for that evening,” Burke said. “ ... I looked at my colleagues ... and said ‘I am so tired right now. My head is pounding.’”

Burke told Wojnarowski that “extraordinary fatigue” was the primary symptom that prompted her to request a COVID-19 test.

“I kid you not, I could not be out of bed for five minutes without needing to go back to bed and lay down,” Burke said.

Results arrived 8 days after test

Doris Burke said she's doing well after testing positive for COVID-19. (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)

Doris Burke said she's doing well after testing positive for COVID-19. (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)

Edited by nuckin_futz

7 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

They dragged their feet so badly to start this. There was a cruise ship in Perth a week or so ago and 3,000 Americans got off to visit. 

In retrospect 2020 is not such a good year for Scott Morrison. First deciding to vacation in Hawaii while his country was on fire and now this.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ontario Premier Ford continues to impress me:

He's been acting like a real leader in this crisis.  Didn't think he had it in him.  Compare that to Krusty the Clown south of the border.

Agreed. Pleasantly surprised to see this maturity and leadership from him.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I just saw how Doug Ford is also fighting price gougers during the pandemic too
Ontario Premier Doug Ford pledges to rein in price gouging amid coronavirus pandemic

I can't believe it's come to a point where I have to praise Doug Ford, but so far he seems like he is going to be on the right side of the history books.

You know, it's in times of crisis that I really decide who I support. 

Most politicians will say/do things to get elected...it's how they come through when we really need them that counts.  

I, too, have been changing my mind recently.  My boss was a good example....thought because he donates to charities, is a vegetarian/loves animals that he was "good".  Saw when it was $$ or people that he can be very bad.  Lost all respect for him during this deal.  Not a leader at all except to "boss" people around.  Was very eye opening.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't get why she didn't just say she felt sick ... same thing, same result ... no?

dunno, I'm just assuming young and scared. That often equates to dumb moves. If I were in a law enforcement position thats the 1st thing I'd look for tbh. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Some young people get very nervous about jobs/bosses, etc.  

It's sad that she's having to contend with "fraud" charges in a time where she likely just needed support.  Some bosses make it impossible to communicate with them and can have their own ideas set in stone.  I wonder how many employers should be under fire with Worksafe for demanding employees work in an unsafe environment?  Without putting in policies/procedures to protect them?   There's that side too....

• Cheers 2