The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People also have responded in a "yeah I should stop" way that is likely being influenced by others and a positive reaction.  So the discussion is a good one to have and supporting one another...even with baby steps, important.

It can be a normal reaction to eat (stuff it down), drink (numbing), etc. when worry sets in.  But you really make a good point and it is a personal responsibility to react in a way that protects you as much as possible.  

Even in the sense that people who have preventable heart attacks/strokes will call on services that are needed elsewhere right now.  How it all ties together in a big picture way.

Great point of discussion, RR.

the concern i have

is that this is not really a mind over matter sort of issue

lack of meaningful direct engaged social contact

doing things together without continual concern over distance

is not healthy

it has a negative impact on many

a lot of this is inducing early signs of depression

increased idleness

increase intake for soothing effects

are not good signs on the mental health and addiction spectrums

i see these issues as growing for many over the next number of weeks

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People also have responded in a "yeah I should stop" way that is likely being influenced by others and a positive reaction.  So the discussion is a good one to have and supporting one another...even with baby steps, important.

It can be a normal reaction to eat (stuff it down), drink (numbing), etc. when worry sets in.  But you really make a good point and it is a personal responsibility to react in a way that protects you as much as possible.  

Even in the sense that people who have preventable heart attacks/strokes will call on services that are needed elsewhere right now.  How it all ties together in a big picture way.

Personally, I knew I ate too much junk food on my daily/weekly routine.  I had a commute so the eating the car was terrible for me.  Now that I don't have the commute, just by eating at home, I have lost 6 pounds in about 3 weeks.  My next goal is to add the Couch to 5K into my daily routine.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

My sister just recently gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Leading up to the birth, she and her daughter have had a cough for 3 weeks and still have it. As a precaution before the c-section, they tested her for C19 and she was negative.

My nearly one year old son has had a cough and snotty nose for what seems like since December when we were in the Chilliwack area. We wonder if he's had it but he's not had any other symptoms. In turn, I would assume we all have it if he does as we've been staying home since March 17th. I'm the only one who runs errands. We all also had a norovirus on the first day I worked from home. Started with my daughter, then me, then my wife while the baby had very minor symptoms compared to me who had it the worst (I nearly filled my pants while vomiting haha).

This is why it's important to avoid close contact with people outside your home as we just don't know yet. Every cough, runny nose and sore throat is immediately assumed to be C19 even though all the other flus, colds, viruses, etc. are still out there and people are still catching them. Seasonal allergies are prevalent too which have the appearance of a cold.

I agree, and I chalked this up to a cold, but I'm pretty certain I have a mild strain.  The wife's symptoms are the exact same as a few students from my school and the same as mine, minus pink eye.  I was sure it was just a cold until my lungs started burning about 8 days ago.  I'm a teacher, I get everything, buy i havent felt my lungs burn this way before.

I'm glad I have isolated myself from everyone for three weeks.  I went two days with no symptoms, but the burning came back last night after some physical exertion the day before........I'm happy to say it greatly reduced overnight.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Which leader are you supporting? The one who increased the carbon tax at a time of crisis? The one who's health minister said this was low risk? The one who has run out of emergency supplies? 

Not defending Trump but we haven't done the best job either. Btw aren't the US testing far more people? I have no doubt there is more cases in Canada they're just not testing as many people. 

The fact that they have someone without any medical qualifications being the health minister is peak government. They shouldn't be in the position that they are in, but I am not sure that they suggested that the overarching problem was low, just that the risk of mortality in a single individual is low. I guess the important question is about whether it is low risk compared to what? To me, something that when present kills 1/100 people is high risk... but it is low risk compared to something like SARS.

People can criticize Trump for not listening to experts, but we've put someone in charge of health that is not an expert in health, so we really shouldn't be listening to her, even if she is able to be right more than she is wrong. She is likely only right when she is getting the information from someone else. 

• Wat 1

35 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Thank you. It was staunch Trump haters that told me the us was testing more people. Thanks for the info.

I'm too lazy to look it up it wouldn't it also depend on when the majority of the testing was done?  I'm just assuming the Yanks were later to the game (and just ramped up the testing in the past couple weeks).  It would be like putting on a condom after one has 'done their business'.

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The fact that they have someone without any medical qualifications being the health minister is peak government. They shouldn't be in the position that they are in, but I am not sure that they suggested that the overarching problem was low, just that the risk of mortality in a single individual is low. I guess the important question is about whether it is low risk compared to what? To me, something that when present kills 1/100 people is high risk... but it is low risk compared to something like SARS.

People can criticize Trump for not listening to experts, but we've put someone in charge of health that is not an expert in health, so we really shouldn't be listening to her, even if she is able to be right more than she is wrong. She is likely only right when she is getting the information from someone else. 

Dick f'n Tracy, that's called effective govt.  Be glad we have a govt that had taken a back seat to experts pretty much from the beginning.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Tough times ahead of us.

The US government reportedly asked the military for 100,000 body bags

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-government-reportedly-asked-the-military-for-100000-body-bags-2020-4

This is bringing up those conspiracies from several years ago about the Obama administration ordering millions of 'FEMA caskets.' Implying they're part of this virus and, NWO, and deep state, and it's a plan to reduce the global population, blah blah. 

Not blaming this on anyone (other than the engineer) but it shows how crazy this situation is making some folks:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/us/train-derailed-mercy-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

A train engineer faces federal charges after he allegedly admitted to intentionally derailing a train Tuesday near the USNS Mercy, a ship sent to Los Angeles to ease the burden of hospitals treating coronavirus patients, according to the Department of Justice.

Eduardo Moreno, 44, told law enforcement investigators he was "suspicious" of the ship and believed it "had an alternate purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover," the Justice Department said in a news release, citing the affidavit.
Moreno has been charged with one count of train wrecking, the Justice Department said.
The federal public defender's office in Los Angeles, which is representing Moreno, declined to comment on the case.
According to the Justice Department, Moreno, a train engineer at the Port of Los Angeles, crashed the train at the end of the tracks, running through barriers before it came to a rest more than 250 yards away from the ship. No one was injured, the news release said, and the ship was not damaged.
The crash was witnessed by a California Highway Patrol officer, who took Moreno into custody as he tried to flee the scene, the news release added.
According to the affidavit obtained by CNN, Moreno confessed to crashing the train in interviews with both the Los Angeles Port Police and the FBI.
Moreno said he derailed the train because it would bring media attention, the affidavit said, and he hoped to "wake people up."
The affidavit also detailed videos taken from inside the train. In one, Moreno ignites a road flare inside the train, the affidavit said. He then "put the train in full speed and held his hand toward the camera with his middle finger raised."
"I don't know. Sometimes you just get a little snap and man, it was fricking exciting... I just had it and I was committed," Moreno told police, according to the affidavit. "I just went for it, I had one chance."

:picard:
  • Vintage 2

28 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I’m talking biiiiig picture future generations  context here as in adopt personal responsibility for health so the strain on the health care system is always low.

would you rather take responsibility for your health, something that you have the ability to control - it’s yours, your body.  You get one: once.

or

live unhealthy, waiting for a vaccine that may or may not ever work and have gvts tell you what you can and can’t do?

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

So....where do you think she's getting her information, if not from the experts? Do we really care who delivers the message? :huh:

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Tough times ahead of us.

The US government reportedly asked the military for 100,000 body bags

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-government-reportedly-asked-the-military-for-100000-body-bags-2020-4

Sad state of affairs is that they're not short on body bags but are short of PPE.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dick f'n Tracy, that's called effective govt.  Be glad we have a govt that had taken a back seat to experts pretty much from the beginning.

I'd rather have experts taking advice from other experts. Even in medicine, not all experts are going to always agree. This is especially true when dealing with new phenomenon. So, when Expert A and Expert B are both honest, smart, and doing their job, they still might have differing opinions. One is right, one is wrong. I want the person making the final decision to have the skills to look at what A and B are saying and make a decision based on the information available. I am not convinced a Health Minister with no real background in this field is the person that should be in this position. It's like putting Dale Weise on the PP. He's also hard working and has integrity... but unless we're in Holland, he is not in the position suited to his skillset.

Edited by Down by the River
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

This is bringing up those conspiracies from several years ago about the Obama administration ordering millions of 'FEMA caskets.' Implying they're part of this virus and, NWO, and deep state, and it's a plan to reduce the global population, blah blah. 

Don’t forget Soros and Gates.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So....where do you think she's getting her information, if not from the experts? Do we really care who delivers the message? :huh:

I do. Because sometimes experts have conflicting opinions, and I'd like the person in charge to have the necessary expertise to identify which opinion is most accurate. 

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i agree

hard to establish new reliable routines in this time of crisis

i still work

but my down time is completely messed up

and am way way more idle these days (there are no easy stimulating options besides sitting and watching)

so reminders are not a bad thing in my view

food has fallen a little into the entertainment category

and does provide some comfort for me these days

never viewed food this way before

25-75 years ago your doctor would regularly tell you to stop drinking and smoking.  My granddad was literally told to or he will die.  So he quit.

why has this changed.

we know have even more ways to smoke even more things.

we speak about the condition of the mind here during isolation.  People are online more, watching media more, watching scary epidemic sci fi movies on Netflix......:more addiction to tech, more addiction to the internet, more addiction to  tv.  More addiction to fear.  Go to bed scared and anxious every night without social interaction and or exercise.  See how that all plays out.

go outside in the sun and sweat for half an hour.  Enjoy the endorphins.....you know, the natural good feels your own body creates.....

Edited by riffraff
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I do. Because sometimes experts have conflicting opinions, and I'd like the person in charge to have the necessary expertise to identify which opinion is most accurate. 

I doubt that it comes down to one person listening to different opinions and then arbitrarily making a call on it. More likely, the differing options are discussed in a "round table" format and a course of action decided on by committee and then the spokesperson delivers the information.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1