The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

There's a good doc from the states a while back. I think it is called "Beer Wars"

It outlines the incredible pressure that lobby groups down there have on the gov. Some smaller craft companies are not allowed to distribute in some states due to the large labels having a monopoly on distribution. So these struggling companies have to pay the larger ones to get on the trucks, their competitions trucks! Anyway, lobby groups are gross and should go the way of the dodo. 

Amen Brutha....

...anything that restricts access to beer should be declared unconstitutional....

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, Bishop, I haven't really been following the conversation between you and Ron...

....I saw an opportunity to be a smartass and I took it....B)

You are one of the smartest asses.

Answer the question!

Do you think it is ok to be allowed to not put an ingredient list on a consumable product?

17 minutes ago, BPA said:

Well the majority of Koreans I know smoke.  So perhaps that is a factor to consider as well.

could be.

15 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

To clarify, I'm an american.  American numbers dwarf S Korea's number currently.   And I like to use the US-S. Korea comparison because our first cases were reported on the same day.

As to the death rates, no idea why some countries are doing better than others.  Could be a lot of various factors.  I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert and I'm more than few credits shy of my medical degree. 

I know, the numbers can be all over the place. A couple weeks back I was looking into moving to Germany as their mortality rate was about .4%, but now they are right up there with Canada.

The fact that the US and S Korea had their first report on the same day, does give a good reference point though.

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You are one of the smartest asses.

Answer the question!

Do you think it is ok to be allowed to not put an ingredient list on a consumable product?

No.

And you're no fun when you're being serious. (Insert Joker meme)

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Much smaller geographical area likely doesn't help either (re: second hand smoke).

Yep.

My brother-in-law said the same thing about Italy.  60M people in an area the size of a boot.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Draw simple bell curve graph

at the bottom is low health risk/healthy human.

at the top is terminal health conditions.

start honestly adding known unhealthy choices, non exercise being one, and see how high up the curve you climb.....as you climb look around to see how many are with you.....do you even make it to the top?

now make a choice to be healthy.  As you subtract poor choices do you go back down the curve?  And do you leave a lot of people behind?

Define healthy choices though. So much of what is healthy is just marketed to appear that way. Which leads to people consuming a lot of something thinking they can't do themselves any harm. It's healthy right? No such thing as being toooo healthy!

Then you have healthy people who get cancer or take your pick of a host of horrible diseases that inflict humans. C19 is knocking off 'healthy' people too. Disease knows no bounds no matter how healthy or unhealthy you are. Does being healthier increase your risk of survival? For sure but it's not a catch-all defence system.

By all means though, do whatever you think will improve your longevity. Our minds are very powerful and you can will yourself to live longer. My FIL is a classic example of the power of desire. He has lived with colorectal cancer for 15 years. It has metastasized 3 more times since the original occurrence (liver, lymphnodes and same spot in lymphnodes that wasn't properly treated the first time). Each time he has gone into remission and currently is considered cancer free. His diet consisted of alcohol, chocolate, ice cream, every junk food you could dream up, pb toast and canned soup. He quit the booze but smokes pot like a madman and still barely eats vegetables or fruit or anything remotely considered healthy. How is he still alive? He says he lots to live for and isn't interested in dying.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No.

And you're no fun when you're being serious. (Insert Joker meme)

I'm sorry my friend.

Though, I thought calling you 'one of the smartest asses' kinda funny and a compliment. 

Maybe I am a bit too serious this morn...did I mention I am taxed to paint the bedroom today?:mellow:

....just did the trim....if she catches me back on the computer.....

Thanks for your answer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm sorry my friend.

Though, I thought calling you 'one of the smartest asses' kinda funny and a compliment. 

Maybe I am a bit too serious this morn...did I mention I am taxed to paint the bedroom today?:mellow:

....just did the trim....if she catches me back on the computer.....

Thanks for your answer.

Have you primed yet? Tell her you have to let it dry....

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Define healthy choices though. So much of what is healthy is just marketed to appear that way. Which leads to people consuming a lot of something thinking they can't do themselves any harm. It's healthy right? No such thing as being toooo healthy!

Then you have healthy people who get cancer or take your pick of a host of horrible diseases that inflict humans. C19 is knocking off 'healthy' people too. Disease knows no bounds no matter how healthy or unhealthy you are. Does being healthier increase your risk of survival? For sure but it's not a catch-all defence system.

By all means though, do whatever you think will improve your longevity. Our minds are very powerful and you can will yourself to live longer. My FIL is a classic example of the power of desire. He has lived with colorectal cancer for 15 years. It has metastasized 3 more times since the original occurrence (liver, lymphnodes and same spot in lymphnodes that wasn't properly treated the first time). Each time he has gone into remission and currently is considered cancer free. His diet consisted of alcohol, chocolate, ice cream, every junk food you could dream up, pb toast and canned soup. He quit the booze but smokes pot like a madman and still barely eats vegetables or fruit or anything remotely considered healthy. How is he still alive? He says he lots to live for and isn't interested in dying.

Define healthy?

first one needs to understand how the body functions properly and why it  does so.

but until people are educated in that area I suppose the basics:

eat well

sleep enough

move your body

challenge your brain continuously 

repeat until dead.

wadr to your Fil, when you say define healthy as a question?  I say define living.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

25-75 years ago your doctor would regularly tell you to stop drinking and smoking.  My granddad was literally told to or he will die.  So he quit.

why has this changed.

we know have even more ways to smoke even more things.

we speak about the condition of the mind here during isolation.  People are online more, watching media more, watching scary epidemic sci fi movies on Netflix......:more addiction to tech, more addiction to the internet, more addiction to  tv.  More addiction to fear.  Go to bed scared and anxious every night without social interaction and or exercise.  See how that all plays out.

go outside in the sun and sweat for half an hour.  Enjoy the endorphins.....you know, the natural good feels your own body creates.....

we all know this stuff

but doing everything solo

does impact on motivation

in a non helpful way

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I guess my thinking is we all can make choices in this.

Worrying doesn't help and can really spiral ... so even if getting up and moving for 20 minutes with some music on is all we do, it can interrupt the worry enough to put it aside for awhile.  Your brain very much responds to physical exertion in a good way so anything to get the heart rate up...even marching in place if that's a starting point.

You don't have to engage with others...for me, working out is a very private thing and a moment for myself.  

Mind over matter won't "protect" anyone from covid 19 but it can provide something to do when at home and offer something positive and constructive to distract from the worry of it all.

hey i agree

but so much of life now is isolating

that is hard to overcome emotionally

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

we all know this stuff

but doing everything solo

does impact on motivation

in a non helpful way

Agreed.  I concede that exercising solo is difficult for many people to maintain as a daily routine.

but A start is a start and something is better than none.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Agreed.  I concede that exercising solo is difficult for many people to maintain as a daily routine.

but A start is a start and something is better than none.

i do physical work

so the exercising is not really the issue for me

the increase in idleness is the issue

health studies show that sitting too much

is not overcome by exercise

it is important to stay moving

but we are stuck at home with limited options

and the richest options are sitting and watching (and learning in that process as well)

• Thanks 1

Patsies doing their part:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/us/coronavirus-patriots-plane-masks-spt-trnd/index.html

New England Patriots team plane loaded with 1.2 million N95 protective masks is on its way back to Boston after picking up the vital supplies in China.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker tweeted a photo of the plane being loaded with the personal protective equipment that he said would go to the state's healthcare workers on the front lines of the coronavirus crisis.
According to a source, Baker is extremely frustrated that the federal government outbid him on supplies that were en route to Massachusetts. He worked with New England Patriots' owner Robert Kraft and the Patriots to get these supplies brought over from China.
"No days off. Thanks to some serious teamwork, Massachusetts is set to receive over 1 million N95 masks for our front-line workers. Huge thanks to the Krafts and several dedicated partners for making this happen," Baker said in the tweet.

First they let Brady walk and now this....

....if they keep this up, they'll be my third most hated team behind the Phish and the Cowboys....B)
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1