The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I guess there's that polish on the turd of crippling debt. At least us individuals who will be paying it off for generations, are getting some benefit in the here and now from it... :lol::wacko:

I've actually pleasantly been getting more exercise during this than I normally have the time and energy for. Walks and/or bike rides almost every day, yoga (though it's not the same as going to a class, which I am missing) etc. The snow this morning likely means no bike ride today though :mad:

Lots of yummy, mostly healthy, home made food as well.

Agreed, while I've snacked here and there and my lungs won't let me exercise ATM, I've actually been eating better and have lost a few pounds.

2 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

I agree.  South Korea also had a huge proximity advantage as well.  I'm sure being so close to the epicenter, they were able to see and gauge just how severe of a situation that was headed towards them.  And they took advantage and made quick decisions. 

We take a lot for granted here in N. AMerica. Korea and Taiwan cannot. Also easier for provinces, states and federal governments to look the other way as the cost of building reserves is not cheap. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

I agree.  South Korea also had a huge proximity advantage as well.  I'm sure being so close to the epicenter, they were able to see and gauge just how severe of a situation that was headed towards them.  And they took advantage and made quick decisions. 

And yet South Korea has fewer confirmed cases, but more deaths

https://www.covid-19canada.com/#readmore

South Korea    9,976 cases 169 deaths

Canada 10,153  cases 127 deaths

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Do you really need a study to tell you about the risks of alcohol in this day and age? I get what you are saying but even the dimmest bulb knows alcohol contributes to disease.

Private industry lobbies have existed for decades. This isn't a secret. 

thanks for that.

My point is the gov being pressured.

Also, no I didn;t know how much it contributed specifically to cancer....

Since lobbies have existed for decades...then thats ok too? 

18 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Not exercising is not a vice.

it is laziness.  It is the middle finger to science and common sense.  It is irresponsible. It affects us all in a free health care system.

and the above examples, well half of them are taxed and provide income to the gvt.:blink:

vices come after choices.

starbucks Pizza Hut and dunkn doughnuts are donating to health care workers as we speak.  :blink:

What is pizza hut donating? My girlfriend ordered pizza from them a few days back, order was delayed by almost 40 min, told her she had to wait and didn't do anything to compensate for the long wait. She told them she just got off work from working at the hospital, they offered nothing to her for compensating the triple long wait time or for her working at the hospital

Thailand will start a Nation wide curfew tomorrow. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1891810/nationwide-night-curfew-starts-friday

And in the Philippines,

Duterte said late on Wednesday.

“My orders to the police and military ... if there is trouble and there’s an occasion that they fight back and your lives are in danger, shoot them dead.”

“Is that understood? Dead. Instead of causing trouble, I will bury you.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-philippines-dutert/shoot-them-dead-philippine-leader-says-wont-tolerate-lockdown-violators-idUSKBN21K0AY?il=0

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

What is pizza hut donating? My girlfriend ordered pizza from them a few days back, order was delayed by almost 40 min, told her she had to wait and didn't do anything to compensate for the long wait. She told them she just got off work from working at the hospital, they offered nothing to her for compensating the triple long wait time or for her working at the hospital

One thing more thing regarding alcohol, something to think about.

What is in a can of Bud? what ingredients? It is not listed, actually usually only craft companies put a simple version of their ingredients on the label. It is not required.

You consume this product, put it in your body. 

You also consume food.

Imagine if you picked up a can of soup and under the ingredients it said something like "we don't have to tell you"

You good with that?

I drink and I ran a group of LRS stores for 10 years. One in the DTES. I know a bit about this. 

Sorry, for the derailing. I gotta get on painting my bedroom:)

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

And yet South Korea has fewer confirmed cases, but more deaths

https://www.covid-19canada.com/#readmore

South Korea    9,976 cases 169 deaths

Canada 10,153  cases 127 deaths

To clarify, I'm an american.  American numbers dwarf S Korea's number currently.   And I like to use the US-S. Korea comparison because our first cases were reported on the same day.

As to the death rates, no idea why some countries are doing better than others.  Could be a lot of various factors.  I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert and I'm more than few credits shy of my medical degree. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

thanks for that.

My point is the gov being pressured.

Also, no I didn;t know how much it contributed specifically to cancer....

Since lobbies have existed for decades...then thats ok too? 

I'm not going to derail this thread but just go search the world wide web using alcohol and cancer as your search phrase. There's plenty of evidence.

As for the existence of lobbies being ok, it's up for debate but lobbies are behind everything good and bad. Also in the US, lobbying is protected under the constitution so it's not going anywhere.

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

One thing more thing regarding alcohol, something to think about.

What is in a can of Bud? what ingredients? It is not listed, actually usually only craft companies put a simple version of their ingredients on the label. It is not required.

You consume this product, put it in your body. 

You also consume food.

Imagine if you picked up a can of soup and under the ingredients it said something like "we don't have to tell you"

You good with that?

I drink and I ran a group of LRS stores for 10 years. One in the DTES. I know a bit about this. 

Sorry, for the derailing. I gotta get on painting my bedroom:)

Swill.....that for some reason they're allowed to call "beer"....<_<

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

I'm not going to derail this thread but just go search the world wide web using alcohol and cancer as your search phrase. There's plenty of evidence.

As for the existence of lobbies being ok, it's up for debate but lobbies are behind everything good and bad. Also in the US, lobbying is protected under the constitution so it's not going anywhere.

There's a good doc from the states a while back. I think it is called "Beer Wars"

It outlines the incredible pressure that lobby groups down there have on the gov. Some smaller craft companies are not allowed to distribute in some states due to the large labels having a monopoly on distribution. So these struggling companies have to pay the larger ones to get on the trucks, their competitions trucks! Anyway, lobby groups are gross and should go the way of the dodo. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

To clarify, I'm an american.  American numbers dwarf S Korea's number currently.   And I like to use the US-S. Korea comparison because our first cases were reported on the same day.

As to the death rates, no idea why some countries are doing better than others.  Could be a lot of various factors.  I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert and I'm more than few credits shy of my medical degree. 

The number infected will never be known with any accuracy. Hugh numbers will have mild C-19 and never be tested or notify health authorities. My nephew is in self isolation and had a bout of flu mid last week. It has all cleared up and he has extended his isolation for another 5 days to make sure. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

All of them.

You gotta admit, not having to tell people the ingredients in a consumable product...does not seem weird to you?

TBH, Bishop, I haven't really been following the conversation between you and Ron...

....I saw an opportunity to be a smartass and I took it....B)

One good thing about being scared into wearing face masks whenever I step out in public.....

Went to the Superstore on SE Marine drive to pickup some groceries earlier this morning....blech, lineup outside to get in (not starting off so well lol).  As I was waiting in line, I felt something hit my face mask.  Son of a ****.  A flying pigeon (or some other rat with wings) pooped on me!  Fortunately it hit my face mask & any "excess debris" bounced off the facemask & hit the ground instead of me.  Unfortunately I had to ditch the facemask.  Still, sure beats have that "crap" hit your face.  Then while shopping, I got the LAST 12 pack of toilet paper!  Boy, was I feeling lucky, so I ventured off to the lotto booth (but alas it was closed - didn't realized until after I had left that you can buy it at the cashier).  

Still feeling lucky, I thought why not go for the trifecta!  So I asked Deb if I could be a Mod on this board!  This was her response:

source.gif

:P

(the story is true...well except for the last part about asking to be a Mod :lol:).

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Draw simple bell curve graph

at the bottom is low health risk/healthy human.

at the top is terminal health conditions.

start honestly adding known unhealthy choices, non exercise being one, and see how high up the curve you climb.....as you climb look around to see how many are with you.....do you even make it to the top?

now make a choice to be healthy.  As you subtract poor choices do you go back down the curve?  And do you leave a lot of people behind?

• Upvote 2