The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I doubt that it comes down to one person listening to different opinions and then arbitrarily making a call on it. More likely, the differing options are discussed in a "round table" format and a course of action decided on by committee and then the spokesperson delivers the information.

We agree on everything here except for maybe the person's role as minister. Are they just the spokesperson, or are they the person that, for example, makes the final decision at the roundtable? 

I certainly do not believe anyone is making an arbitrary decision. I just think that when decisions are being made, they could be made by a person that is able to make a more informed decision. If they really are just the person that communicates a decision then I guess I don't have a problem.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

But for some reason, you seem to be making the assumption that they're not....that seems to me to be by far the more unlikely scenario.

Agreed..........I honestly think we should be moderately happy with how this is being handled by the government.  Obviously they've made mistakes, but I believe they are doing the best they can, and that they understood the seriousness of the situation early on........unlike he who shall not be named.

Can we just call him Voldemort from now on?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, skolozsy2 said:

I'm not Canadian, I haven't been following Trudeau's handling of the crises all that closely so it's hard to answer on who did or is doing a better job with any certainty. 

As to who I support...well I would have to say I admire the way South Korea has handled it.  Both them and the US had their first cases on the same day.  It wasn't too long later that South Korea was enforcing social distancing and engaging in mass testing.  They were doing 10,000 tests a day before the US had even tested 10,000 total.  I think today's current number of cases in each country is a solid reflection as to the difference in each countries early responses as well as each leader's initial demeanor on the crises.

We will likely never hear a lot of detail but I will throw out my assumption why the S.Koreans have done so well. They probably had military supplies to deal with chemical warfare. More importantly they probably had a active plan on how to deal with large numbers of people infected by chemical or biological agents. This likely goes for Taiwan as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A suggestion for people looking for something to do. Try researching something interesting on the internet. Of course, remember it is the internet, and you have to be careful about what is true or not. I am currently writing a course on the "History of Math" so I am researching the megalithic builders of Stonehenge, the Giza Pyramids, Mayan pyramids, Amazon pyramids and mounds AND the huge number of mounds along the Mississippi. These people were incredibly smart, knew the size of the Earth, had some knowledge of longitude (long before Harrison's clock around 1780), and knew about the precession of the equinoxes. Also, it is a good time to explore your family tree, etc. In other words, there is a world of information out there, now is the time to explore that.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, riffraff said:

would you rather take responsibility for your health, something that you have the ability to control - it’s yours, your body.  You get one: once.

or

live unhealthy, waiting for a vaccine that may or may not ever work and have gvts tell you what you can and can’t do?

Randomly I was just reading an article on General Patton.

These points made me think of your comments this morn...

Patton's principles for good health:

Brainpower comes from the lungs.

An active mind cannot exist in an inactive body.

There is no power in a bushel of blubber.

Make the mind command the body. Never let the body command the mind.

To gain strength, always go beyond exhaustion.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed..........I honestly think we should be moderately happy with how this is being handled by the government.  Obviously they've made mistakes, but I believe they are doing the best they can, and that they understood the seriousness of the situation early on........unlike he who shall not be named.

I lean towards Wormtail....

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

But for some reason, you seem to be making the assumption that they're not....that seems to me to be by far the more unlikely scenario.

But they have no background in the area that decisions are being made in? 

I am moderately happy. But I don't think that means we are not allowed to rethink our current system. The people named to be Ministers should be people that have expertise in the area they are responsible for (if indeed they are responsible and not just a spokesperson). If we don't have experts to fill those roles we should review why these positions are not attractive to experts and work to make it so that they are attractive

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You're making an assumption that people have common sense. ^_^

I work on the assumptions that:

I. Most people are good.

II. Some people are good but just don't know things but can learn. 

III. Some people are good but dumb. Like really dumb. But still nice people. 

iV. Some people are bad and refuse to learn.

V. Some people are just bad and dumb. 

I don't know between categories III-V who causes more damage tho. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

They're vices....

...if they were easy to quit, no-one would have them and there would be no market for cigarettes, booze, junk food, etc......

More than just vices. 

Those could be all straight up addiction. Nicotine, Alc and  Sugar. 

Just now, Down by the River said:

Who cares? The guy reading the news probably has no background in epidemiology either, but as long as he isn't making it up, what difference does it make?

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They're vices....

...if they were easy to quit, no-one would have them and there would be no market for cigarettes, booze, junk food, etc......

they'll all fine for the most part in moderation, except  for cigarettes.

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I am moderately happy. But I don't think that means we are not allowed to rethink our current system. The people named to be Ministers should be people that have expertise in the area they are responsible for (if indeed they are responsible and not just a spokesperson). If we don't have experts to fill those roles we should review why these positions are not attractive to experts and work to make it so that they are attractive

But you're just looking at the public face and assume that that is the person who is making decisions, when that, almost certainly, is not the case.  In fact they have been very public that it is the health professionals driving the bus

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

But you're just looking at the public face and assume that that is the person who is making decisions, when that, almost certainly, is not the case.  In fact they have been very public that it is the health professionals driving the bus

And who do you hand the keys over to when two professionals have a different opinion? Or you have six different opinions? Would it really be so awful to have someone with a background in the ministry to which they are assigned?