The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed..........I honestly think we should be moderately happy with how this is being handled by the government.  Obviously they've made mistakes, but I believe they are doing the best they can, and that they understood the seriousness of the situation early on.......

I think you can for sure make an argument the fed's could have begun things a few weeks earlier, particularly around getting our own capacity built up for manufacturing PPEs here in Canada, but we may just squeak through with what we have, particularly now that a lab in Winnipeg has shown you can reprocess N95 masks at least 10X. 

But its also clear we can't rely just on the government to do it all for us. We as individuals can do as much or more to protect ourselves and families than the government by following the distancing and self quarantine rules. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they'll all fine for the most part in moderation, except  for cigarettes.

Sure..in moderation...

Still, I don't  like that alcohol companies pressure our gov's to remove warning labels that alert people to the growing realisation that alcohol more and more is linked to cancer.

Why wouldn't they want those warning labels?

Edit: Uvic has been on it for years

https://www.uvic.ca/news/topics/2019+torch-direct-messaging+news

'alcohol is harmful to our health even in very small doses'

Edited by bishopshodan

31 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the concern i have

is that this is not really a mind over matter sort of issue

lack of meaningful direct engaged social contact

doing things together without continual concern over distance

is not healthy

it has a negative impact on many

a lot of this is inducing early signs of depression

increased idleness

increase intake for soothing effects

are not good signs on the mental health and addiction spectrums

i see these issues as growing for many over the next number of weeks

I guess my thinking is we all can make choices in this.

Worrying doesn't help and can really spiral ... so even if getting up and moving for 20 minutes with some music on is all we do, it can interrupt the worry enough to put it aside for awhile.  Your brain very much responds to physical exertion in a good way so anything to get the heart rate up...even marching in place if that's a starting point.

You don't have to engage with others...for me, working out is a very private thing and a moment for myself.  

Mind over matter won't "protect" anyone from covid 19 but it can provide something to do when at home and offer something positive and constructive to distract from the worry of it all.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They're vices....

...if they were easy to quit, no-one would have them and there would be no market for cigarettes, booze, junk food, etc......

Not exercising is not a vice.

it is laziness.  It is the middle finger to science and common sense.  It is irresponsible. It affects us all in a free health care system.

and the above examples, well half of them are taxed and provide income to the gvt.:blink:

vices come after choices.

starbucks Pizza Hut and dunkn doughnuts are donating to health care workers as we speak.  :blink:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Sure..in moderation...

Still, I don't  like that alcohol companies pressure our gov's to remove warning labels that alert people to the growing realisation that alcohol more and more is linked to cancer.

Why wouldn't they want those warning labels?

dunno. Do weed companies have to do the same thing? or cured meat companies? or people not using sunscreen? how far do we push the nanny thing? 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you can for sure make an argument the fed's could have begun things a few weeks earlier, particularly around getting our own capacity built up for manufacturing PPEs here in Canada, but we may just squeak through with what we have, particularly now that a lab in Winnipeg has shown you can reprocess N95 masks at least 10X. 

But its also clear we can't rely just on the government to do it all for us. We as individuals can do as much or more to protect ourselves and families than the government by following the distancing and self quarantine rules. 

Absolutely agree, government can only do so much short of enforcing martial law and I guarantee the ones currently complaining about the govt handling of this would be up in arms of the would have cracked down early.

If there's a failure in flattening the curve, it's on the citizens who have refused to abide, far more than the govts

• Cheers 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

dunno. Do weed companies have to do the same thing? or cured meat companies? or people not using sunscreen? how far do we push the nanny thing? 

does weed cause cancer?

I don't eat cured meat or use sunscreen....cause...i know...

Weed however... got a link to it causing cancer?

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It's already so far down our throats it's coming out our rear ends. We used to talk about this at work in the good old days a few weeks ago. People are way to entirely reliant on the government to make decisions for them. It's like independent though and the ability to make informed choices has been crushed and sent into oblivion.

Just now, RonMexico said:

It's already so far down our throats it's coming out our rear ends. We used to talk about this at work in the good old days a few weeks ago. People are way to entirely reliant on the government to make decisions for them. It's like independent though and the ability to make informed choices has been crushed and sent into oblivion.

Wait, A uni wanted to run a study telling people about the risks associated with alc. The gov paused it due to pressure from the industry.

I think being informed is ok and I don't like private industry getting in the way of our gov letting us know important info/

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

At least we are bailing out eachother this time.

Yeah, I guess there's that polish on the turd of crippling debt. At least us individuals who will be paying it off for generations, are getting some benefit in the here and now from it... :lol::wacko:

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Absolutely 100% sadly and obviously.

we see it here in this forum:

”I’ve been smashing bags of chips and liquor while watching Netflix all day er day.”  Literally flaunting it.  Meanwhile screaming for social distancing.

people need to to take responsibility for their own health.

I've actually pleasantly been getting more exercise during this than I normally have the time and energy for. Walks and/or bike rides almost every day, yoga (though it's not the same as going to a class, which I am missing) etc. The snow this morning likely means no bike ride today though :mad:

Lots of yummy, mostly healthy, home made food as well.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Randomly I was just reading an article on General Patton.

These points made me think of your comments this morn...

Patton's principles for good health:

Brainpower comes from the lungs.

An active mind cannot exist in an inactive body.

There is no power in a bushel of blubber.

Make the mind command the body. Never let the body command the mind.

To gain strength, always go beyond exhaustion.

You have spent the better part of a lifetime in martial arts........

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wait, A uni wanted to run a study telling people about the risks associated with alc. The gov paused it due to pressure from the industry.

I think being informed is ok and I don't like private industry getting in the way of our gov letting us know important info/

Do you really need a study to tell you about the risks of alcohol in this day and age? I get what you are saying but even the dimmest bulb knows alcohol contributes to disease.

Private industry lobbies have existed for decades. This isn't a secret. 

32 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We will likely never hear a lot of detail but I will throw out my assumption why the S.Koreans have done so well. They probably had military supplies to deal with chemical warfare. More importantly they probably had a active plan on how to deal with large numbers of people infected by chemical or biological agents. This likely goes for Taiwan as well. 

I agree.  South Korea also had a huge proximity advantage as well.  I'm sure being so close to the epicenter, they were able to see and gauge just how severe of a situation that was headed towards them.  And they took advantage and made quick decisions. 

59 minutes ago, riffraff said:

25-75 years ago your doctor would regularly tell you to stop drinking and smoking.  My granddad was literally told to or he will die.  So he quit.

why has this changed.

we know have even more ways to smoke even more things.

we speak about the condition of the mind here during isolation.  People are online more, watching media more, watching scary epidemic sci fi movies on Netflix......:more addiction to tech, more addiction to the internet, more addiction to  tv.  More addiction to fear.  Go to bet scared and anxious every night without social interaction and or exercise.  See how that all plays out.

go outside in the sun and sweat for half an hour.  Enjoy the endorphins.....you know, the natural food feels your own body creates.....

It can instantly take someone from a dark place of despair to one of renewed hope, energy and focus.  The stuff we're seeing online/on TV is saturating and scary.  Good to take a break from it and appreciate life rather than fear death.  

True story.