The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

13 hours ago, Dustbin said:

In my first post I emphasized the fact that I want us to spend billions on protecting the vulnerable (instead of unemployment benefits). Sweden should have done more in this regard.

We will see what their numbers are in a month. They are going down fast already, but I do think this is an anomaly. It's too soon I would think. 

Hopefully they wont get spooked into a lockdown. I think UK caved at just the wrong time. Short term pain perhaps. Sweden will tell the tale I guess.

no need to focus on sweden

the netherlands is the real test case

and are getting hammered

sweden has had a bit more of a controlled approach from the beginning

netherlands simply did monitoring without intervention

uk was also on the netherlands approach and then bailed with boris was shown death number projections

netherlands is a smallish country - 17 million people - approaching 3,000 deaths

canada is about 2x the population size, so would be tracking close to 6,000 instead of 717, if they followed netherlands approach

I'm a fan of martial arts.

I was going to post this in the MMA thread but it makes more sense here.

Only 48, a great photographer. The article has one of my fav iconic photos taken after TJ Dillashaw knocked out Cody Garbrandt 

MMA photographer Anthony Causi dies at 48 from coronavirus

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/mma-photographer-anthony-causi-dies-at-48-from-coronavirus/

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

39 minutes ago, gurn said:

Maybe, but doesn't that throw the effectiveness of tests into question?

If so, then how much money has been spent on deficient tests?

People will use this virus outbreak to earn their masters degrees.

going to be questions asked for years, hope society doesn't get so busy looking for answers, that they forget to work on solutions.

it does. A lot of the current tests have been fast tracked - so that means data on how effective the tests are isn't there in the same way as before. Tests have two big elements, how sensitive they are and how accurate they are. The current tests may not be sensitive enough and give a false reading of 'virus free' when you're really not, and that may only be for a small percentage of tests too. Accuracy can be off as well, so sometimes it detects virus, sometimes it doesn't, with the same person. 

This is the problem with rushing things, we risk bad data. 

I worked with a company that did cancer screening, their test was so sensitive that it could detect pre-cancerous lesions - good right? well, no. People went and got surgeries based on pre-cancerous lesions, that turned out could self heal. Its really important not to fast track tests. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm a fan of martial arts.

I was going to post this in the MMA thread but it makes more sense here.

Only 48, a great photographer. The article has one of my fav iconic photos taken after TJ Dillashaw knocked out Cody Garbrandt 

MMA photographer Anthony Causi dies at 48 from coronavirus

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/mma-photographer-anthony-causi-dies-at-48-from-coronavirus/

Hopefully that colossal dbag Dana White takes notice now

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

So a couple of Dicks (alt right conspiracy theorist Dan Dicks and his wife) led an “end the lockdown” protest in Vancouver yesterday. The Dicks and some flat-earthers (at least based on the T-shirt worn by one of the protesters) marched the streets of “downtown Vancouver” (actually the sidewalk outside the Save-On-Foods at Cambie and 7th), and then made their way to City Hall to protest the shutdown.

17F33E7A-356A-45CC-A5DE-8BB602A2D89D.jpeg.d8ded91b6c358380ee16ea56f326e3f2.jpeg

Dicks (who calls himself an “investigative journalist”) took time out of his busy schedule of trafficking in climate change denial, white nationalism, transphobia, and other far right kookery, to encourage people to “not drink the Kool-aid” and join him and his fellow Covidiots in rejecting social distancing and stay-at-home efforts.

The Sun (UK) has picked up the story:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11385702/outrage-as-anti-lockdown-conspiracy-theorists-protest-vancouver/amp/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebaramp&__twitter_impression=true

There are also plenty of videos and posts from Dicks online, but I’d rather not link to any of his content or further amplify his message.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So a couple of Dicks (alt right conspiracy theorist Dan Dicks and his wife) led an “end the lockdown” protest in Vancouver yesterday. The Dicks and some flat-earthers (at least based on the T-shirt worn by one of the protesters) marched the streets of “downtown Vancouver” (actually the sidewalk outside the Save-On-Foods at Cambie and 7th), and then made their way to City Hall to protest the shutdown.

Dicks (who calls himself an “investigative journalist”) took time out of his busy schedule of trafficking in climate change denial, white nationalism, transphobia, and other far right kookery, to encourage people to “not drink the Kool-aid” and join him and his fellow Covidiots in rejecting social distancing and stay-at-home efforts.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11385702/outrage-as-anti-lockdown-conspiracy-theorists-protest-vancouver/amp/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebaramp&__twitter_impression=true

There are also plenty of videos and posts from Dicks online, but I’d rather not link to any of his content or further amplify his message.

There was one in Vernon yesterday too.

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Would it be bad to wish them to get infected with Covid-19??

Sometimes, people really need first hand experience to see the dangers.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

What's really sad about this isn't so much the morons smiling for the camera as they ignore science, but two of them in their blinding ignorance are exposing their innocent child.

Worthy of a reckless endangerment charge, IMO....<_<

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If he is so passionate about his beliefs then he should put his money where is mouth is and start licking every elevator button in a hospital.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, stawns said:

There's also evidence of people getting it twice, myself likely being one of them.

I'm not saying we won't, but right now there's no evidence we do.

Did you get a test for either time? The reports of people getting it twice may also be due to a false negative (ie. they never fully recovered). There may be long term health benefits as well but without longitudinal studies we won't know. A much lower percentage are "getting it twice" than have actually recovered. There is also the possibility of a different strain.

You can't say that there is no evidence that we can build immunity against it because people have recovered. That's how biology works. Get infected --> immune response --> symptoms --> accumulate specific antibodies --> antibodies fight off infection when they have sufficient strength in numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

no need to focus on sweden

the netherlands is the real test case

and are getting hammered

sweden has had a bit more of a controlled approach from the beginning

netherlands simply did monitoring without intervention

uk was also on the netherlands approach and then bailed with boris was shown death number projections

netherlands is a smallish country - 17 million people - approaching 3,000 deaths

canada is about 2x the population size, so would be tracking close to 6,000 instead of 717, if they followed netherlands approach

Interesting about the Netherlands. I will check into it. If the Netherlands did what I want there would be 0% death  and higher employment.

Sweden seems to be getting all the attention.

35 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Did you get a test for either time? The reports of people getting it twice may also be due to a false negative (ie. they never fully recovered). There may be long term health benefits as well but without longitudinal studies we won't know. A much lower percentage are "getting it twice" than have actually recovered. There is also the possibility of a different strain.

You can't say that there is no evidence that we can build immunity against it because people have recovered. That's how biology works. Get infected --> immune response --> symptoms --> accumulate specific antibodies --> antibodies fight off infection when they have sufficient strength in numbers.

The first time no one knew what it was then, it was late January.  I just rode it out, but it was unlike any respiratory virus I'd ever had......and being a teacher, I get exposed to everything.

One of my best friends had an unknown virus that caused viral pneumonia at the same time.......hospitalized, in an induced coma for three weeks while intubated at the same time I was sick.

Now, they only test acute cases that require hospitalization, but my case is mild so I'm just riding it out at home.  I figured it was a cold, but my lungs were absolutely on fire for close to two weeks.......I managed it with a 12 hour cycle of cold/flu meds and as much water as I could drink.  I'm currently on week 4 and definitely coming out of it, but my energy level is at the bottom and if I do any physical exertion I pay for it in my lungs.

Obviously I can't be sure either time without a test, but I'm about as positive as I can be without a test.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, gurn said:

So sad that people just can't believe things with out actually having a relative die.

Yes, I have always thought that the far right might have different views about gun control or abortion rights if one of their children had been involved in a school or mass shooting or an abortion done in a back alley gone wrong, or a daughter pregnant after a rape.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Yes, I have always thought that the far right might have different views about gun control or abortion rights if one of their children had been involved in a school or mass shooting or an abortion done in a back alley gone wrong, or a daughter pregnant after a rape.

Don't think it'd change anything. I remember watching a video way back when regarding abortion clinic protesters. Sometimes, those very protesters would require an abortion themselves and receive one (or their daughter would need one). They would then be found outside continuing to protest after the procedure was done. When asked, they just made up excuses. Basically, they just told themselves that their own abortion was ok, but everyone else's was bad. 

• Cheers 2