The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Keep your distance and wash your hands regularly and we’ll all be fine. The numbers show the current measures are working well enough.

Your message will cost lives here in BC.  No thanks, our seniors deserve better than this. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

My school counted about 5-6/classroom last Friday, but has gone up yesterday day and today and we're now looking at an avg of around 8-10/class

How do you feel about paying monthly union dues to a union that is not even trying to keep you safe with PPE for when you work ?

All those union dues in BC to be the lowest paid teachers in Canada that get no PPE when working in a Pandemic.....   

Is it time for BC teachers to consider withdrawing from their union ? 

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:36 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I honestly can say I haven’t seen any GOT. I was going to wait till it was over and then power through it marathon style. But then everyone said the ending ruined the whole show and not to bother haha so I decided to spend my time else where. 

I just realized how the show was like Mike Gillis' tenure as GM of the Canucks! :lol:

Much like how Gillis took the work of Burke/Nonis to the next level; the *adapters* of the works of R.R. Martin - Benioff & Weiss should be given their due credit for taking Martin's work and adapting to the screen for a truly memorable (at least six seasons anyways) of Game of Thrones.  BUT, much like Mike Gillis, the ending leaves much to be desired when the duo didn't have the works of Martin's as source material.  Or in the case of Mike Gillis, he didn't have cornerstone players in their prime (eg., Sedins) to work around anymore.

But that's just *my* opinioin.  Not stating it as "facts".

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

A lot of people have kind of just decided for themselves that this pandemic is over.. what’s the deal? Boredom? I think phase 3 is gonna go ahead on schedule which means my industry (film) will be restarting. That’s going to be an absolute nightmare from a health safety standpoint, 50-100 people crammed into tight places with zero possibility of social distancing. It’s always been a breeding ground for sickness because of the close quarters and idiots coming in sick. Should be fun! 

Sounds like BC schools.   Yes, when round 2 hits our province..... no one should be surprised...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I just realized how the show was like Mike Gillis' tenure as GM of the Canucks! :lol:

Much like how Gillis took the work of Burke/Nonis to the next level; the *adapters* of the works of R.R. Martin - Benioff & Weiss should be given their due credit for taking Martin's work and adapting to the screen for a truly memorable (at least six seasons anyways) of Game of Thrones.  BUT, much like Mike Gillis, the ending leaves much to be desired when the duo didn't have the works of Martin's as source material.  Or in the case of Mike Gillis, he didn't have cornerstone players in their prime (eg., Sedins) to work around anymore.

But that's just *my* opinioin.  Not stating it as "facts".

We've had this discussion a few times.....

IMO, D & D were just in too much of a hurry to finish. If they had done two seasons instead of the last one, they could have kept the quality on point.

One season in Winterfell, focusing on the battle against the Night King and the final season with the battle for King's Landing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

A lot of people have kind of just decided for themselves that this pandemic is over.. what’s the deal? Boredom? I think phase 3 is gonna go ahead on schedule which means my industry (film) will be restarting. That’s going to be an absolute nightmare from a health safety standpoint, 50-100 people crammed into tight places with zero possibility of social distancing. It’s always been a breeding ground for sickness because of the close quarters and idiots coming in sick. Should be fun! 

Fellow filmmaker. 

This thing is gonna get shut down again pretty fast. Not one insurance company will want anything to do with any production.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

How do you feel about paying monthly union dues to a union that is not even trying to keep you safe with PPE for when you work ?

All those union dues in BC to be the lowest paid teachers in Canada that get no PPE when working in a Pandemic.....   

My friends wife tells me that initially the government wasn't going to allow teachers to wear their own (or anyone else's) PPE because of the potential negative effect it could have on the mental state of some students and the public perception of the safety of schools opening - Union pressure got them to change that stance.  Now they're allowed to wear it and cannot be discriminated against for doing so.   Some people need to be reminded (not saying you kos) that in a time of unprecedented attacks (education has been under attack in this province for two decades) that not ceding ground and/or losing rights is like a victory in itself, nevermind making forward progress. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is it time for BC teachers to consider withdrawing from their union ? 

With "friends" like that (their own freaking union representation).....who needs enemies (Socreds)?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Fellow filmmaker. 

This thing is gonna get shut down again pretty fast. Not one insurance company will want anything to do with any production.

Agreed, the border closures I imagine will be a big hurdle as well because a lot of the actors/directors are not canadian 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't see that part in it... to me it seems more like a feeling. Like the feeling to pick up a gun and go stand at your legislature. Hitting those people in the wallet might be the only thing to wake them up. 

So like:

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I would say it's largely just arrogance, a need to feel 'smarter' than everyone else and a complete lack of empathy and understanding that it's not about them as an individual, but that they individually, can be a part of helping keep others safe.

We all know the type.

:P

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I ONLY shop at places with measures in place...to me, it shows they care about their customers. 

I really want to agree with you on this deb, but part of me believes the stores taking 'measures' are doing it for their own bottom line knowing full well that an outbreak linked to their store/franchise could financially ruin them.  A good friend of mine who is a commercial insurance broker confirmed my doubts when he told me that some of the larger insurers in the states are telling clients to get their measures in place if they want to continue to be covered by their insurance policies. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I really want to agree with you on this deb, but part of me believes the stores taking 'measures' are doing it for their own bottom line knowing full well that an outbreak linked to their store/franchise could financially ruin them.  A good friend of mine who is a commercial insurance broker confirmed my doubts when he told me that some of the larger insurers in the states are telling clients to get their measures in place if they want to continue to be covered by their insurance policies. 

You're likely right...covering their butts more than ours.

But I do appreciate having disinfecting spray stations, hand sanitizer, etc. in store.  It's well used by me and, hopefully, others.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

But I do appreciate having disinfecting spray stations, hand sanitizer, etc. in store.  It's well used by me and, hopefully, others.

Definitely appreciated for sure. 

When I was at Costco on the weekend, I saw hand sanitizer at the entrance/exit and literally on the end of many of the aisles inside the store.  They were also giving out free masks to anyone who wanted one.  Furthermore, they had a team of about 4 employees who's only job seemed to be to disinfect all the carts/trolley's.  It did make it seem like their management was at least trying.  

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

My friends wife tells me that initially the government wasn't going to allow teachers to wear their own (or anyone else's) PPE because of the potential negative effect it could have on the mental state of some students and the public perception of the safety of schools opening - Union pressure got them to change that stance.  Now they're allowed to wear it and cannot be discriminated against for doing so.   Some people need to be reminded (not saying you kos) that in a time of unprecedented attacks (education has been under attack in this province for two decades) that not ceding ground and/or losing rights is like a victory in itself, nevermind making forward progress. 

There is much we don't know. This risk isn't worth going back: "Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said at least a half-dozen cases of possibly coronavirus-related "Kawasaki-like syndrome" in children are being looked into in B.C." https://cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-covid-coronavirus-kawasaki-1.5584533?fbclid=IwAR2tEJEcHs8WlQW36d_6NUUwGR0DM1sOzFdjMzH1qSMp9mqaw3zI3BJRX54 #bced #bcpoli

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 2