The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Oh, FFS....:picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/half-of-canadians-say-governments-are-hiding-something-about-covid-19-poll/ar-BB14Bckx?li=AAggNb9

Half of Canadians believe they're not getting the whole truth from their governments about COVID-19, a new poll suggests, and some also believe conspiracy theories about where the novel coronavirus began.

The most recent survey from Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies found 50 per cent of respondents felt governments were deliberately withholding information about the pandemic of the novel coronavirus, which has killed thousands and ground the economy to a halt.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Wear a mask people. The evidence is there samurai. 

The evidence that the virus spreads in closed environments like restaurants is there.

Also, when you “hold your sneeze”, you’re essentially giving the inside of your head an instant 23km/hr pressure. Just like a punch. It’s excellent for the brain. 

I trust a person coughing in a mask much more than coughing in your elbow. To still debate and blatantly ignore the common sense of NOT spreading  your mouth droplets to everyone because of a barrier like a mass is nothing short of asinine.

It is recommended that you never hold a sneeze. You’re body is sneezing and coughing to get rid of something; not just to say hi.

You shouldn’t be going to places where you put your mask on a table.

You also shouldn’t spread your bullish!t.

It’s very simple.

Also:  If coughing into the elbow is "as effective as" wearing a mask as put out there...isn't that actually saying that wearing a mask is "effective"?  I'd also suggest that the time to transfer face into elbow allows for more "spillage" than a mask, that's already in place.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Wear a mask people. The evidence is there

well, sort of. The recommendation is that you wear a mask to protect other people, its stopping droplets at the source. So non-compliance in a place like Canada and the US might be hard, given all the "freedom" folks we have here that don't really care about public efforts. 

This article from the Lancet is a very good one on the current state of mask recommendations and how masks fit in to the bigger picture. 

But no one really knows what percentage of people is needed to wear them, that work has not been done.

Research has also not been done during a pandemic when mass masking compliance is high enough for its effectiveness to be assessed. 

Social distancing and handwashing are of prime importance in the current lockdown. We suggest mask wearing would complement these measures by controlling the harm at source. Mass masking would be of particular importance for the protection of essential workers who cannot stay at home. As people return to work, mass masking might help to reduce a likely increase in transmission. South Korea and Hong Kong have managed to limit their COVID-19 outbreaks without lockdown.    It is difficult to apportion the contribution of various measures, including extensive testing, rigorous contact tracing, and strict isolation, but use of masks in public is universally practised in these two places. We encourage consideration of mass masking during the coming phases of the COVID-19 pandemic, which are expected to occur in the absence of an effective COVID-19 vaccine.  Finally, this practice could also be useful for control of future influenza epidemics.
Mass masking for source control is in our view a useful and low-cost adjunct to social distancing and hand hygiene during the COVID-19 pandemic. This measure shifts the focus from self-protection to altruism, actively involves every citizen, and is a symbol of social solidarity in the global response to the pandemic.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

You really need to quit paraphrasing the WHO and others and using your conclusions to their ideas.

They likely wouldn't post "do's and don'ts" if the message was simply we don't endorse.  And that's not what they said....they listed scenarios, meaning they likely do endorse masks "IF", "WHEN". 

"If healthy" but, the problem is, many don't know they're unhealthy at first.  Asymptomatic people may cough and not know they have the virus.  So healthy is in the eye of the cougher/sneezer and many just assume they ARE healthy.  I've seen it...people barking back with that as they cough, open mouth, in a store.  How do they know?  Have they been tested?  "It's just allergies".  But it may not be. 

"They don't endorse" are your words, not theirs.

The part where is says "where a mask if coughing or sneezing"?  Sometimes those things come on suddenly and, especially during peak allergy season, I'd think people are prone to coughing and sneezing.  So if you have a coughing sneezing fit in a store...this likely suggests it's best to be wearing a mask than not. 

the problem for us in north america is you are wearing a mask to protect other people. We have so many people that just won't care about others in the name of "my freedom" that I have my doubts masks will be adopted without some kind of different approach to the messaging around them.

the article I posted above is a good review and we do have evidence that in at least two places, S Korea and Hong Kong, getting the entire population to wear make meant they didn't need to go full lockdown.

So maybe thats what we need to promote here, if we all wear one we don't lock down next time. But even then I can still see certain groups just refusing to do it. 

I don't hold out much hope Deb that we have enough people that would wear masks to make it effective, i think our society has too many selfish people for it to work here. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the problem for us in north america is you are wearing a mask to protect other people. We have so many people that just won't care about others in the name of "my freedom" that I have my doubts masks will be adopted without some kind of different approach to the messaging around them.

the article I posted above is a good review and we do have evidence that in at least two places, S Korea and Hong Kong, getting the entire population to wear make meant they didn't need to go full lockdown.

So maybe thats what we need to promote here, if we all wear one we don't lock down next time. But even then I can still see certain groups just refusing to do it. 

I don't hold out much hope Deb that we have enough people that would wear masks to make it effective, i think our society has too many selfish people for it to work here. 

But that's a good message "if we do, we won't have to".

I do hold out hope...I feel that the people who will wear one would outnumber those who won't.  But, even if they refuse to....I'm convinced that the number of people who will/are will make a bit of a difference in the spread of transmission.  Not in preventing or stopping COVID, but by reducing the numbers some.

If you think that "protecting other people" may come full circle and prevent you/your family in a big picture way, then that could convince some as well.  The self interest people.

There are the defiant superzeroes out there who feel they just can glance through this "because".   They're out to prove something and somehow seems like a misguided sense and ego driven show of "strength/bravery/laugh in the face of danger (stupidity?)" that could be at other's expense.   It's a selfish stance to not err on the side of caution in something relatively unknown that is killing people.  But it'll quickly weed out the kind, compassionate crowd from the "I don't give a crap about others".  Makes it easier to avoid them.

Not wearing a mask?  Stay out of my lane.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Selfish people who only think of themselves.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Selfish people who only think of themselves.

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

There are the defiant superzeroes out there who feel they just can glance through this "because".  It's a selfish stance and yes, they may be right.  But it'll quickly weed out the kind, compassionate crowd from the "I don't give a crap about others".  Makes it easier to avoid them.

imo it has to be an economic argument. That seems to be the only thing that motivates many of the freedom lovers. 

that and our politicians simply need to have a spine and say every indoor public place requires mask use. No exceptions. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Odd how 10-20% match the 10-20% that aren't concerned about the second wave. 

Jet fuel doesn't melt steel corona.......reptiles are the elite. 

I welcome our new ant overlords. 

DfPdn_rUYAAU1Nj.jpg

TRiUMPhANT / Boing Boing

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

My neighbour went back to her school yesterday to get it set up.

She said it is so dirty... that she  is going today with her own vacuum. 

Wil teachers be expected to purchase hand sanitizer / soap and cleaning suppolies for their classrooms... ?

#BrokenBC

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

imo it has to be an economic argument. That seems to be the only thing that motivates many of the freedom lovers. 

I would say it's largely just arrogance, a need to feel 'smarter' than everyone else and a complete lack of empathy and understanding that it's not about them as an individual, but that they individually, can be a part of helping keep others safe.

We all know the type.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1