The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

41 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

There is much we don't know. This risk isn't worth going back: "Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said at least a half-dozen cases of possibly coronavirus-related "Kawasaki-like syndrome" in children are being looked into in B.C." https://cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-covid-coronavirus-kawasaki-1.5584533?fbclid=IwAR2tEJEcHs8WlQW36d_6NUUwGR0DM1sOzFdjMzH1qSMp9mqaw3zI3BJRX54 #bced #bcpoli

kos, I 100% agree with you on this.

I have said from the beginning and still believe school should have continued through distance learning (or whatever they're calling it now) until the end of June then all of the parties (government/health ministry/education ministry/BCTF/parent groups/CUPE/ect...) could've gotten together over the summer to formulate a solid (or at least a more informed) return to school plan for Sept.  People think the BCTF has some say in school returning or not returning June 1st - they DON'T - this is 100% the decision of Dr Henry who then advises Horgan who subsequently directs the ministry of education.  I understand the BCTF lobbied hard against the return to school June 1st decision by Dr. Henry, but that's all they can do, is lobby - for all the amazing things she's done thus far since the pandemic outbreak, right or wrong, this return to school June 1st is completely on her now.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Petey40 said:

Agreed, the border closures I imagine will be a big hurdle as well because a lot of the actors/directors are not canadian 

We don't need them any way, all the best actors are Canadian. Donald Sutherland, Tommy Chong Johnny Depp, Christopher Pllummer, Mel Gibson, Al Pacino (has a place on SaltSpring Island), Ron Mclean.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

We don't need them any way, all the best actors are Canadian. Donald Sutherland, Tommy Chong Johnny Depp, Christopher Pllummer, Mel Gibson, Al Pacino (has a place on SaltSpring Island), Ron Mclean.

Ryan Reynolds, Ryan Gosling, Keanu Reeves, Jim Carey, Seth Rogan, William Shatner, Michael J. Fox

Are you like 90?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You really need to quit paraphrasing the WHO and others and using your conclusions to their ideas.

They likely wouldn't post "do's and don'ts" if the message was simply we don't endorse.  And that's not what they said....they listed scenarios, meaning they likely do endorse masks "IF", "WHEN". 

"If healthy" but, the problem is, many don't know they're unhealthy at first.  Asymptomatic people may cough and not know they have the virus.  So healthy is in the eye of the cougher/sneezer and many just assume they ARE healthy.  I've seen it...people barking back with that as they cough, open mouth, in a store.  How do they know?  Have they been tested?  "It's just allergies".  But it may not be. 

"They don't endorse" are your words, not theirs.

The part where it says "wear a mask if coughing or sneezing"?  Sometimes those things come on suddenly and, especially during peak allergy season, I'd think people are prone to coughing and sneezing, often without warning.  Triggers are out there.  So if you have a coughing sneezing fit in a store...this likely suggests it's best to be wearing a mask than not. Because even "if" "it's just allergies" if you also happen to have asymptomatic COVID in the initial stages, that matters.

How about ‘not recommend’ then

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/who-should-wear-a-face-mask-30-march-who-briefing/

WHO policy has varied little since the beginning of the pandemic. For obvious reasons, namely the lack of science on masks, and in their most recent update the explain why they think masks are unnecessary/unneeded/unwarranted for people who are not sick. You can watch the video on the right that I posted previously. Not my ideas, theirs.  Nice try.  

Recommend is a synonym for endorse by the way.  

When the weather gets hotter more people will stop wearing masks. Yesterday the japan pediatric association asked parents not put masks on children under 2.  

The Japan Pediatric Association has warned parents that masks are too risky for infants.

"Masks can make breathing difficult because infants have narrow air passages," which increases the burden on their hearts, the association said, adding that masks also raise the risk of heat stroke for them.

Edited by samurai

Just now, peaches5 said:

Ryan Reynolds, Ryan Gosling, Keanu Reeves, Jim Carey, Seth Rogan, William Shatner, Michael J. Fox

Are you like 90?

Age shaming isn't cool bro, of course i've heard of William Shatner. Seth Rogan isn't Canadian and his first names Joe not Seth. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

kos, I 100% agree with you on this.

I have said from the beginning and still believe school should have continued through distance learning (or whatever they're calling it now) until the end of June then all of the parties (government/health ministry/education ministry/BCTF/parent groups/CUPE/ect...) could've gotten together over the summer to formulate a solid (or at least a more informed) return to school plan for Sept.  People think the BCTF has some say in school returning or not returning June 1st - they DON'T - this is 100% the decision of Dr Henry who then advises Horgan who subsequently directs the ministry of education.  I understand the BCTF lobbied hard against the return to school June 1st decision by Dr. Henry, but that's all they can do, is lobby - for all the amazing things she's done thus far since the pandemic outbreak, right or wrong, this return to school June 1st is completely on her now.  

I didn't have much faith in the BCTF before this and have lost all faith because of it.  Their job is to fight for us and our safety, I feel really let down.  Distance learning should have been in place until the end of the year, give us an outline or idea of what it will look like in September and let us plan and prep for it............there's no need, at all, for a "trial run"

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

U have to realize BC education is in a dire situation when its the BC Liberals making any sense....

Horgan and Dr. Henry will be taking hits if and when the 2nd wave of covid hits BC....

If a teacher gets covid at work..... with no PPE made available... will the BC government be liable for any kind of a lawsuit..... ?

Tim Hortons provides PPE to their workers....

FORT ST. JOHN (May 26, 2020) — Dan Davies, MLA for Peace River North and Opposition Critic for Education, is calling on Education Minister Rob Fleming to enhance health and safety measures for students and teachers in classrooms across British Columbia, including more resources and guidelines for personal protective equipment (PPE) and sanitation stations.

https://bcliberalcaucus.bc.ca/bc-liberals-call-for-more-ppe-and-safety-supports-in-classrooms/#.Xs2OaU4JoXk.twitter

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

I didn't have much faith in the BCTF before this and have lost all faith because of it.  Their job is to fight for us and our safety, I feel really let down.  Distance learning should have been in place until the end of the year, give us an outline or idea of what it will look like in September and let us plan and prep for it............there's no need, at all, for a "trial run"

Tell me realistically, what power exactly do you think the BCTF holds in a 'declared state of emergency' when they are lobbying against the side who makes and changes the rules? 

I get you stawns, I do, and I can see that you and all other teacher's out there who aren't confident in a return to work would feel the same.  You know from this thread my position from the beginning has been to shut down school until Sept at the very earliest.  But there's no basis that I know of to blame the BCTF for the Government's decision to re-open schools June1st.  The BCTF has little to no power against the provincial government under normal situations - let alone under a provincial state of emergency. 

As I said, the decision to return children (and teachers) back to school June 1st, for better or worse, is all on Dr. Henry. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Tell me realistically, what power exactly do you think the BCTF holds in a 'declared state of emergency' when they are lobbying against the side who makes and changes the rules? 

I get you stawns, I do, and I can see that you and all other teacher's out there who aren't confident in a return to work would feel the same.  You know from this thread my position from the beginning has been to shut down school until Sept at the very earliest.  But there's no basis that I know of to blame the BCTF for the Government's decision to re-open schools June1st.  The BCTF has little to no power against the provincial government under normal situations - let alone under a provincial state of emergency. 

As I said, the decision to return children (and teachers) back to school June 1st, for better or worse, is all on Dr. Henry. 

I get that, for sure, but I don't feel like they fought for us, at all. I think they fought for the contract and that returning without a fight was a part of the deal.  

My bggest concern is that we're three days from starting, and we still have no plan and almost no information whatsoever.  It's actually quite concerning at this point.  Schools run smoothly because of the planning and prepping that happens before kids show up.........in normal circumstances.  To go into this flying blind is ridiculous.  I feel terrible for our admin because they simply have no answers at all for our many questions.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I get that, for sure, but I don't feel like they fought for us, at all. I think they fought for the contract and that returning without a fight was a part of the deal.  

My bggest concern is that we're three days from starting, and we still have no plan and almost no information whatsoever.  It's actually quite concerning at this point.  Schools run smoothly because of the planning and prepping that happens before kids show up.........in normal circumstances.  To go into this flying blind is ridiculous.  I feel terrible for our admin because they simply have no answers at all for our many questions.

Is there a fight to begin with?

Your administration should be on your side.

Governments respond to flooding; not suggestions.

People may not physically congregate to protest, but they certainly can congregate on petition as well as employ the media to their advantage in putting pressure on the system.

Theres always a way to make something happen. But it needs to be on their desks, on their television, on their device, in their email, and at their office.

THEN they move.

Edited by Me_

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it's a hard decision no matter what. With their decision, they obviously have made you lose faith. If they had made the opposite decision, other people are going to lose faith. It's really a lose-lose situation since, like most decisions that need to be made at the moment, not everyone is going to be happy.

I've read articles blasting governments for a lack of funding (as if funding grows on trees). I've read articles blasting governments for not opening up. I've read articles blasting governments for opening up. It's sheer chaos out there at the moment, which is predictable I might add, but it's still sheer chaos.

This all being said, I can completely see your case in how things shouldn't open up. Personally, I'm outside looking in with all of this having just graduated (thankfully), but I can understand how it can make things feel so unsafe, (especially down on the coast. Up here people just keep distance for the most part without the need for masks).

Just now, The Lock said:

I think it's a hard decision no matter what. With their decision, they obviously have made you lose faith. If they had made the opposite decision, other people are going to lose faith. It's really a lose-lose situation since, like most decisions that need to be made at the moment, not everyone is going to be happy.

I've read articles blasting governments for a lack of funding (as if funding grows on trees). I've read articles blasting governments for not opening up. I've read articles blasting governments for opening up. It's sheer chaos out there at the moment, which is predictable I might add, but it's still sheer chaos.

This all being said, I can completely see your case in how things shouldn't open up. Personally, I'm outside looking in with all of this having just graduated (thankfully), but I can understand how it can make things feel so unsafe, (especially down on the coast. Up here people just keep distance for the most part without the need for masks).

no argument here and I fully admit I'm not on the union train to begn with.

The safety issue is concerning, but it's the complete lack of a plan of how it's all going to work that is most concerning, especially when it's un-necessary as distance learning was going to be fine until the end of June.  We put a lot of work into getting it up and running.......for what, month and a bit?

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

no argument here and I fully admit I'm not on the union train to begn with.

The safety issue is concerning, but it's the complete lack of a plan of how it's all going to work that is most concerning, especially when it's un-necessary as distance learning was going to be fine until the end of June.  We put a lot of work into getting it up and running.......for what, month and a bit?

Most likely it's a lot of heads half-communicating with each other. Everyone in charge probably has an idea on what they want, but no final solution.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Is there a fight to begin with?

Your administration should be on your side.

Governments respond to flooding; not suggestions.

People may not physically congregate to protest, but they certainly can congregate on petition as well as employ the media to their advantage in putting pressure on the system.

Theres always a way to make something happen. But it needs to be on their desks, on their television, on their device, in their email, and at their office.

THEN they move.

not a fight, no, but a lot of unhappy teachers out there, that's for sure.  By nature we're planners and preppers and that's what makes schools work.  this is a total cluster **** and no one I know feels good about going into this.  The BCTF should have fought it until an actual well thought out, detailed plan was presented.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

not a fight, no, but a lot of unhappy teachers out there, that's for sure.  By nature we're planners and preppers and that's what makes schools work.  this is a total cluster **** and no one I know feels good about going into this.  The BCTF should have fought it until an actual well thought out, detailed plan was presented.

My argument to you is, why the past tense?

A week today is like a month before. The governments are moving wartime fast. Now is the time.

The BCFT SHOULD fight for a detailed plan. YOU ALL should gather together, zoom it up every day and put pressure on it all.

If it’s enough of a deal. Otherwise, nothing changes.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Are you like 90?

I thought you might have been a kid from your postings a few years ago! (especially when you postings seemed to mature over time)

This might have actually confirmed that!

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

Can we stop please? None of this Covid1-19 talk. It’s getting depressing. 

LOL damn it, I just poured gasoline on the fire! Don’t attack me please,I am so gentle. 

Hahaha haha haha I Love You Guys, ❤️ 

Crazies.

Edited by The Aquamen
  • Haha 2

Just now, The Aquamen said:

Can we stop please? None of this Covid1-19 talk. It’s getting depressing. 

LOL damn it, I just poured gasoline on the fire.  Don’t attack me pleas, an I am so gentle. 

hahahahahahahaha I Love You Guys, ❤️ 

Crazies.

Kerosene or Motor oil? Pick your poison!

• Haha 2