The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I hung out with a band of that name , playing on the same gig. Edge Fest in Barry Park Ont.

Before they became Finger 11

Were they walking around in your Circles?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Were they walking around in your Circles?

Haha, they were.

Cool memory. I remember them saying that their current label would not let them change their name. They stood their ground, got released and rolled the dice heading to the states to start over. It worked out for them.....even if it was for just 'one thing' ....$$$$$$

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Haha, they were.

Cool memory. I remember them saying that their current label would not let them change their name. They stood their ground, got released and rolled the dice heading to the states to start over. It worked out for them.....even if it was for just 'one thing' ....$$$$$$

It was a bad name, up there with the Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls and the Butthole surfers.  Ah the 90's, great decade for music not so much for band names.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It was a bad name, up there with the Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls and the Butthole surfers.  Ah the 90's, great decade for music not so much for band names.  

Saw them open for Nirvana, In Utero tour... At the PNE forum of all places :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I really hope no one who attended the protest yesterday had Covid.  10k attendance in close proximity with many people unmasked and cheering sure seems like a smart thing to do when all it takes is one asymptomatic person to cough, infect these Covidiots and spark a second wave. 

But if these sheeple are bright enough to protest an issue that doesn't actually personally impact them (besides maybe feeling sympathy and justified outrage on a whim for black Americans down south on a bored Sunday afternoon, and I understand why the African Canadians were there, don't get me wrong), why not deal with local issues instead of rushing to defend a cause that isn't yours? 

When have we had police brutality locally, when instead more covert racism against other peoples is still ongoing?  Why did no one come out to address those issues?  How were so many blind eyes turned and no rallying protests organized, when people were tripped up, spat at, disrespected and even told to go back to their home country as recently as last week?  What about the defaced cultural artifacts, and where were the protests in solidarity against the ignorant, bigoted white minority of extremists who did such things?  The irony in this sheep country is ridiculous.  #ALLlivesMatter #RIPGeorgeFloyd        

Edited by Phil_314
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I really hope no one who attended the protest yesterday had Covid.  10k attendance in close proximity with many people unmasked and cheering sure seems like a smart thing to do when all it takes is one asymptomatic person to cough, infect these Covidiots and spark a second wave. 

But if these sheeple are bright enough to protest an issue that doesn't actually personally impact them (besides maybe feeling sympathy and justified outrage on a whim for black Americans down south on a bored Sunday afternoon, and I understand why the African Canadians were there, don't get me wrong), why not deal with local issues instead of rushing to defend a cause that isn't yours? 

When have we had police brutality locally, when instead more covert racism against other peoples is still ongoing?  Why did no one come out to address those issues?  How were so many blind eyes turned and no rallying protests organized, when people were tripped up, spat at, disrespected and even told to go back to their home country as recently as last week?  What about the defaced cultural artifacts, and where were the protests in solidarity against the ignorant, bigoted white minority of extremists who did such things?  The irony in this sheep country is ridiculous.  #ALLlivesMatter #RIPGeorgeFloyd        

So you are against people peaceful  protesting for Black lives Matter ?

I do agree that not social distrancing and also not wearing masks is insanity....

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So you are against people peaceful  protesting for Black lives Matter ?

I do agree that not social distrancing and also not wearing masks is insanity....

Not at all against the peaceful protest, IF the protesters truly care about the cause and aren't just ignorantly going due to herd mentality, or doing it for the Gram (which Vancouverites are often prone to do).    

Racism itself is a widespread, legitimate issue and the George Floyd situation is tragedy in what happened for sure.  However, I think such passion, instead of letting it occupy your attention as a flavor of the day, should be channeled to address things that you can fix. 

Of course if you see a black person being discriminated against, speak up, but at the same time do so for any person (Asian/ indigenous/ middle Eastern/ senior/ disabled...).  If you see anyone getting punched/ cussed at, speak up.  I hope people don't just let their passions remain an indignation in your heart if you aren't going to actively fix anything that you can fix, and certainly don't just let it fizzle out and die as a passion only.  Keyboard activism also only goes so far.    

Edited by Phil_314

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Agreed but I kinda do like Foo Fighters because it has a cool story. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Agreed but I kinda do like Foo Fighters because it has a cool story. 

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It’s a great name. Let no one convince you otherwise. 

https://www.loudersound.com/news/foo-fighters-is-a-dumb-name-grohl

Dave Grohl admits he would have come up with a better than than Foo Fighters if he expected the band to be successful.

The former Nirvana drummer entered a studio months after Kurt Cobain’s death to record a bunch of songs he had written, and played all the instruments on what would become the Foo Fighters’ self-titled debut.

Not wanting to live off Nirvana’s legacy, he came up with the moniker to avoid using his own name. But if he could go back in time, he’d change it.

That name sucks, sorry.

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Well....it's no Moxy Fruvous.....

Well they got their inspiration for horrid band names from The Barenaked Ladies, and now they eat Humble Pie.  I feel embarrassed for liking that song when it came out.  

Anywho sorry for the derail but I have to link this, if you haven't read this list yet try and guess who was originally called "The Band-Aid Boys" or at the very least guess the genre.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/25-worst-original-names-of-famous-bands-72260/the-band-aid-boys-45511/

Some of those names got worse.  

8 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Well they got their inspiration for horrid band names from The Barenaked Ladies, and now they eat Humble Pie.  I feel embarrassed for liking that song when it came out.  

Anywho sorry for the derail but I have to link this, if you haven't read this list yet try and guess who was originally called "The Band-Aid Boys" or at the very least guess the genre.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/25-worst-original-names-of-famous-bands-72260/the-band-aid-boys-45511/

Some of those names got worse.  

True story:

I was once in a band called Bronze Weiner Hunger......the guy who started the band asked us all to put potential band names into a hat and our drummer (natch) put it in as a joke. Our "dear leader" was so pissed off that we weren't taking it seriously, he decided that was going to be the band name.

We actually did a gig or two with that moniker, IIRC....

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Well they got their inspiration for horrid band names from The Barenaked Ladies, and now they eat Humble Pie. 

I see what you did there.  Or at least my unspeakable wife, Queen Lisa, did.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I was once in a band called Bronze Weiner Hunger......

Hahaha, hmmm don't see anything on Spotify.  I was in a punk band with my buddies when we were smoking a j trying to come up with a name.  We ended up calling ourselves Mr. Pierce and we all gave ourselves fictional names like Solonut Pierce(I later realized this could be a very bad omen but I was the lead guitarist) - To this day I still love the name, shame we didn't make it:bigblush:

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Hahaha, hmmm don't see anything on Spotify.  I was in a punk band with my buddies when we were smoking a j trying to come up with a name.  We ended up calling ourselves Mr. Pierce and we all gave ourselves fictional names like Solonut Pierce(I later realized this could be a very bad omen but I was the lead guitarist) - To this day I still love the name, shame we didn't make it:bigblush:

I was in a band called Pierce for a short stint. We had a DJ and upright base and tried to do a funk/alt Chilli Peppers esq vibe....That band was not very good. At all. 

Edited by bishopshodan
Whoever said drummers could spell?....nobody, that's who.

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I was in a band called Pierce for a short stint. We had a DJ and upright base and tried to do a funk/alt Chilli Peppers esq vibe....That band was not very good. At all. 

Well of course not....you can't even spell "bass".....B)

• Haha 2