The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see, but watching Virtanen and Petey answering questions... I observed a connection between the two.  There was a couple glances at each other with smiles.  And Virt defended Petey a couple times.  May be nothing but that looks like a chemistry between them that I hadn't noticed before.  Also, Jake just seems to be holding himself different... More sure, more mature?  Anyway, probably read to much into it... Looks great so far!  Really rooting for Jake.

I dunno. A Canadian power forward with prior maturity issues and 'underwhelming performance' despite a high draft pick and expectations... until it wasn't underwhelming anymore, and a highly skilled Swedish player.

Canucks have never had such a combination work before. Not ever. :P

Jake played his best hockey last year off hand on Petey's wing. I said it at the time and I'll say it now. Their play styles actually perfectly compliment each other. Jake is a monster along the wall - he flies in with speed and generates opposition mistakes, Petey is extremely smart and deceptively quick to read 'where is that mistake going' and has the talent to bury it or find the pass to somebody else. Miller is an excellent 'mix' of the two who has everything he needs to

Jake's biggest problem was always 'consistently giving it' - If he solves that, he's such a dominant force out there. And shooting right on the left wing opens up so many opportunities for that one timer, particularly with a left shooting centre. "Canadian" style dictates that "Right wing shoots right, left wing shoots left" and is another of the dinosaur institutions that need to die. SOME players play best that way, but others play better off hand - the speedy and shifty guys typically play better off hand, they can use the wall to protect the puck better. Wasn't the case in clutch and grab, but it's not 1993 anymore.

Visualize:

Shoot in, left side- Virtanen in pursuit along left wall to either beat or retrieve the puck from the defender, or make a monster hit - Two sticks in that centre / slot lane - Left wing low (Virtanen, shooting right) AND high centre (Pettersson Shooting left) - so if the defender panics and makes a Sbisa up the middle, that's very likely getting intercepted. Leaving two more options (Again, defenders play side/handedness too) - "their" right side guy shooting right, to avoid the Sbisa, the puck logically has to go up the wall and out retrieving possession, or a weak backhand along back to "hopefully" the D-partner (who is more than likely needing to close down on Pettersson in the middle. That's an easy read either way.

You've now made a multi option play into a difficult almost single option play. Say there's a turnover; you immediately have two one-timer opportunities, along with puck control on the wall; Using body position the natural tendency is to turn and forehand the puck back to the friendly defender, which opens up space in the traditional gap outside the slot... the winger is very likely (naturally) going to chase the D-man with the puck. The now-unloaded winger pulls from the wall, quickly moves into reception position facing the defender. You are now ready for a set up bang bang play. Defender - Winger - Centre (or Far winger)... Or Defender, Centre, Winger.

Jake could be that guy, but he has to have consistent "give'er" as well as a chance to do it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, brownky said:

Holtby with Ian Clark is going to do him wonders. Tons of people are sleeping on how good Clark is as a goalie coach and seeing exactly what to get out of a tendy. If the goalie wants to "get there" (and I feel like Holtby is exactly that kind of player) the tools will be maximized. For Bobrovsky it was one thing, for Markstrom it was size and posture, for Dekmo it seems to be how to maximize his athleticism and motion but we'll see... he's got more tools than just speed.

I legitimately think we signed a "better" goalie than Markstrom in Holtby for way less money, and already had Demko who is going to be outstanding. Our goaltending should be one of our strong points this year.

Once Holtby was signed, I had no worries about our goalie situation. I hear Marky’s already chirping our Nucks to the Cowtown media. I don’t hope him the best and wish they finish dead last in the division. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

Once Holtby was signed, I had no worries about our goalie situation. I hear Marky’s already chirping our Nucks to the Cowtown media. I don’t hope him the best and wish they finish dead last in the division. 

Exactly. And when Marky and Tanev both get injured, it’ll be “no takesy-backsies”.  They choose Flames, they lose my respect as a fan.

11 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Teams are still shy to draft shorter players. Look how far Rossi fell this draft 

Yeah, I was majorly surprised with how far Rossi fell. Size is still the number one factor with teams it seems. I tend to value skill and skating, no point to have size when you can't skate especially with how fast today's NHL is.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

If that's the case, well, Good luck Marky.

We've seen what happens when goalies sign a huge long term deal that takes them away from the guy who turned them from a "good but not elite" prospect to a high level player.

They tend to regress fairly quickly.

4 minutes ago, brownky said:

I legitimately think we signed a "better" goalie than Markstrom in Holtby for way less money

I agree, the Flames signing Markstrom for 6 years (x $6) reminds me of a certain #21. Played great for a couple of years for one team, scoring 30 goals for them, then he got traded and...  Flames have Marky for the long haul anyway. I like the championship pedigree Holtby brings, and his experience playing with Schmidt and Beagle. Demko will learn a lot from Holtby as well, and they both have Ian Clark. 

21 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Teams are still shy to draft shorter players. Look how far Rossi fell this draft 

Rossi is going to be a stud. Wild are very lucky to have gotten him. 

Edited by NHL'er
Despite him going pointless in the WJC (but hey it's Austria)
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, the Flames signing Markstrom for 6 years (x $6) reminds me of a certain #21. Played great for a couple of years for one team, scoring 30 goals for them, then he got traded and...  Flames have Marky for the long haul anyway. I like the championship pedigree Holtby brings, and his experience playing with Schmidt and Beagle. Demko will learn a lot from Holtby as well, and they both have Ian Clark. 

Huge Marky and Tanev fan, but I think we avoided a very costly mistake by not signing them to 6 and 4 year deals respectively like Cgy did.  Those won't age well as soon as this upcoming season to be honest.  Bringing in Holtby and Hamonic as direct replacements are a near wash in skill level, plus we have other pieces in Schmidt etc as adds on top of that.  Canucks did exactly what they should have this offseason.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2