The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Travis Hamonic with Canucks

5 minutes ago, BCNate said:

You have to figure whatever it is, the deal is done, just won't be signed/announced until Ferland goes LTIR.  It won't matter a whole lot, we won't be adding any more pieces regardless if i's 1.5 or 2.5.

Only difference would really be trade deadline room.

10 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I would also argue that Demko 2020 + Holtby is a better goaltending tandem than Markstrom + Demko 2019.  

Holtby is much better than 2019 Demko while the gap between Markstrom and 2020 Demko isn’t anywhere near as big as many might think.  I’ll even go as far as saying that Demko is already on Markstrom’s level and I don’t care if people think I’m on crack for saying that.

In a new article in theScore they are rated #4 in the league!:canucks: Who said anything about crack?

Edited by Cat Man
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Folks should also keep their expectations reasonable.  We aren't getting Willie Mitchell in his prime.  We are getting a (high end) 3rd pairing guy who can easily play in the top 4 in case of injury.  He has played more than 20 minutes a night every year... but maybe that is the issue with him declining in play, might just be too much at this point.  A big upgrade on Benn.

Hamonic is a downgrade from Tanev, but the contract cap hit and term matter a lot.  Who knows, things could go really well as he becomes a legit top 4D again and partners with Hughes... but don't expect that as a realistic hope.

I think the jury is still out to say he’s a downgrade from Tanev. Players have off years, can often not fit into a new system, he had family issues etc. I’m going to wait and see before judging. He definitely improves our right side regardless.

11 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I know there is more to it than minutes, but:

Tanev 19:35

Stecher 15:21

out: 34:56

Scmidt  21:41

Hamonic  21:12

In: 42:53

Adding two guys capable of playing an extra 8 minutes gives us a lot more flexibility in deployment.  

And takes stress off Edler which we know allows him to play a lot better. This is as important. Our depth is getting stronger on the back end. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Yep... that is why he is a perfect fit for us.  If we suddenly have a 3rd pairing that Green can trust to play more than 8 minutes a night, it will have a huge upwards ripple effect by reducing the wear and tear on our top 4.

Juolevi-Benn would be stapled to the bench except for the odd shift against a 4th line, meaning the other two pairs would be logging 25+ minutes a night each
Juolevi-Hamonic could be put out in any 5 on 5 situation, mostly against bottom 6 opposition and play 15+ minutes a night, dropping the other pairs down to a normal 20-22 minute range.

I can't express how much that is going to matter to the team, even if Hamonic doesn't regain his former abilities.  I compare it to when the team added Malhotra and what that did for Kesler and Sedin.

Well said! 

4 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

Some of you underestimate our team way too much, If anything I sincerely think we upgraded by a lot. If Hamonic signs and with the addition of Schmidt, I'd take that any day over Tanev and Stetch.

And if Demko plays the way he did in the PO's than watch out! Let's get er' going!

I fully agree, our trend away from being a "pillowy soft" team is going to pay dividends in the playoffs. The excuses for not sticking up for each other is getting less and less. I love what this team is becoming! 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The Canucks now have a very solid D-force.  I feel so much better going into the start of the season.

Hamonic's physical game will be so important for the team; especially on the back end.  Now there are several studs (including Hamonic) that can play big minutes when required.  He will be an awesome addition to the PK and on the 2nd PP, as he has a terrific point shot.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/17519/travis-hamonic

A talented and hard-nosed two-way defender with good offensive instincts and even better defensive perception. Excellent four-way mobility up and down the ice. Backchecks hard and keeps the opposition to the outside. Creates energy through his gritty, physical brand of hockey, most commonly on display in the defensive and neutral zone. Blocks shots well and understands how to take shooting and passing lanes away. Sees the ice well and makes crisp, tape-to-tape passes. Has the ability to be a noticeable difference-maker in games and works hard at all aspects of his game. [EP]

I think you're right about everything but that part, I don't think he see's much if any PP time, unless the plan is to not have Edler on PP2.

I think Greens comments about having another guy that can help close out games is what the coaching staff is most excited about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

hamonic opted out of the bubble. they probably were pissed about that and didn't offer to re-sign him. just my opinion tho

I don't know, brad treliving has always struck me as a stand-up guy. the only good part about that whole organization as far as I can tell (well, before this offseason's blue and green character transplant operation, anyway).